Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2013, 04:23 AM   #46041
stalker

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySlips
Recent enjoyment:
Those dub/reggae records are pretty much my introduction to this music. The Congos' album was the first I got, but it's fucking incredible - I must've listened to it about 20 times since I got it just over a week ago. Really enjoying the Uhuru and Pablo records too. Anyone got some more good Jamaican records they can recommend?
I've been meaning to get further into dub too, it's just so imposing given the fact that they all had these massive catalogues. my personal favourite dub record would be king tubby meets the upsetter at the grass roots of dub, two masters of the form throwing ideas at each other with better rhythms and basslines than most others. also brilliant is scientist, his most famous record scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires, which falls to the darker end of the spectrum but has an undeniable sense of humour to it. the overall best intro though is unquestionably lee scratch perry's arkology, the 9-minute version of roots train is fucking ecstasy.

never understood why this record copped so much shit, it's fucking insane. saw them playing flood live last week, that riff is still burned into my memory.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 06:17 AM   #46042
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ah, yes. I was just feeling in the mood for this yesterday, couldn't find my copy, and listened to People's Instinctive Travels.. Instead. It's always been my favorite, having been the first I heard, but it did not hit the spot. Still good, but now I have a soul aching urge to hear marauders.
i just got my first turntable yesterday, and man there are so many LP's i'd like to cop, but i'm starting with the classics. already copped Illmatic and 36 Chambers, Midnight Marauders is definitely the next one. then The Chronic, Doggystyle, Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (yes i'm mentioning it in the same breath), etc. i'm so excited.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 06:26 AM   #46043
Severian
expwy. to yr skull

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
i just got my first turntable yesterday, and man there are so many LP's i'd like to cop, but i'm starting with the classics. already copped Illmatic and 36 Chambers, Midnight Marauders is definitely the next one. then The Chronic, Doggystyle, Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (yes i'm mentioning it in the same breath), etc. i'm so excited.

It deserves to be in the same breath. If anything, you're honoring Doggystyle. I think the order is off completely, but that's just me. It's your breath.

Wait, no, Cuban Linx... Then the rest.

I really need Wu Tang Forever on vinyl. I have a very small hip hop vinyl selection, but if anythin's a must have, it's Forever, and definitely Midnight Marauders.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 06:30 AM   #46044
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It deserves to be in the same breath. If anything, you're honoring Doggystyle. I think the order is off completely, but that's just me. It's your breath.

Wait, no, Cuban Linx... Then the rest.

I really need Wu Tang Forever on vinyl. I have a very small hip hop vinyl selection, but if anythin's a must have, it's Forever, and definitely Midnight Marauders.
Doggystyle was my first album ever. heard it when i was 11 years old. it has a special place in my heart.

EDIT: but yeah i might take your advice and cop Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords before the WC classix.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 07:07 AM   #46045
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses

There's a member of thought forms on this board, right?
good stuff!
Come play vienna sometime soon!
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 11:46 AM   #46046
Antagon
the end of the ugly

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 01:01 PM   #46047
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I've been meaning to get further into dub too, it's just so imposing given the fact that they all had these massive catalogues. my personal favourite dub record would be king tubby meets the upsetter at the grass roots of dub, two masters of the form throwing ideas at each other with better rhythms and basslines than most others. also brilliant is scientist, his most famous record scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires, which falls to the darker end of the spectrum but has an undeniable sense of humour to it. the overall best intro though is unquestionably lee scratch perry's arkology, the 9-minute version of roots train is fucking ecstasy.

Thanks for that!
I'm gonna order that Scientist record tonight, as I asked a friend of mine who's a big dub fan and he also said it's one to get. I'll check out that Grass Roots of Dub record too, sounds fantastic.

And fuck yeah, Arkology looks fantastic! Lee Scratch Perry seems like some sorta fuckin' genius, from what I read. His production job on the Congos record I mentioned is certainly sublime, that much I do know. Can't wait to get hold of Arkology.

SuchFriends - thanks for that, I can absolutely see where you're coming from with regards to The Heart of the Congos. Beautiful stuff. I'll try and get the other record you mentioned.
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 01:12 PM   #46048
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I had a friend who back in 1999, would spin dub in Austin at various functions. fucking awesome so loud out in the open air.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 03:45 PM   #46049
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

I've listened to this a couple of times over the few months I've had it.

However, it was today that I discovered the true brilliance of it.

אש זרה

And John Cage isn't a "mondern noise artist." - atsonicpark

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 03:48 PM   #46050
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads

There's a member of thought forms on this board, right?
good stuff!
Come play vienna sometime soon!

Yes! great band.

I saw them last week and made a recording. You can grab it here if you want: http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/20...013-06-17.html
stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2013, 06:31 PM   #46051
pony
the end of the ugly

pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses

pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2013, 06:29 AM   #46052
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2013, 04:22 PM   #46053
Antagon
the end of the ugly

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Public Image Ltd. - Tie Me To The Length Of That

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2013, 04:30 PM   #46054
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Nuclear Spring - Demo CS
Aine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners
Heatsick - Intersex
Various - Letters From the Front
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2013, 08:11 AM   #46055
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
Old 06.27.2013, 08:32 AM   #46056
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses

אש זרה

And John Cage isn't a "mondern noise artist." - atsonicpark

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2013, 08:37 AM   #46057
Trama
stalker

Trama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's asses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quePQb6raB8
Trama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2013, 11:59 AM   #46058
elix it
bad moon rising

elix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asseselix it kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony

Good idea.
elix it is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2013, 02:37 PM   #46059
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
Old 06.28.2013, 04:53 PM   #46060
foreverasskiss
invito al cielo

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
good Kid, M.A.A.D city.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1803220322532293230023012302 2303 23042305230623132353 > »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth