Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 08.24.2013, 07:03 PM   #45641
dale_gribble
100%
 
dale_gribble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: the space between dreams and reality
Posts: 704
dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
This is a great record. I listened to it yesterday, and it's a winner for sure.

i discovered it while listening to the com truise radio station on spotify, totally awesome. you listen to the other album, maniac meat? it's definitely on par.
__________________
 
dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2013, 07:32 PM   #45642
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RESERVATION
Posts: 8,443
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Low Times - Low Times
Death in June - The Guilty Have No Past
Black Time - ICU
Acid Bath/Sick Thoughts - Split
Thee Hugs - Drug Use and Alcohol Abuse
White Lodge - Volume II - Black Moss
Come - Eleven:Eleven
Condominium - Carl EP
Mordecai - College Rock
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2013, 08:47 AM   #45643
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo
 
Torn Curtain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: France
Posts: 8,001
Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Sharon Van Etten - Ask (@ bowlegsmusic)
__________________
"Si seulement nous avions le courage des oiseaux
qui chantent dans le vent glacé"
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2013, 07:15 PM   #45644
EVOLghost
invito al cielo
 
EVOLghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: cybatraz!
Posts: 11,317
EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
 
__________________
"Quote as fuck."



 
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2013, 10:56 PM   #45645
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly
 
hirsute_biped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: california
Posts: 1,066
hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
 


Just revisiting this after many years, damn it's solid! Did this ever have a vinyl release? Ripe for a vinyl reissue...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 06:39 AM   #45646
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,865
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
 



Days rarely start out this awesomely.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 06:45 AM   #45647
guest
100%
 
guest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: melbourne
Posts: 775
guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
 



Days rarely start out this awesomely.
lol. fuck reznor. talentless git.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 08:47 AM   #45648
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo
 
Bytor Peltor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlen, Texas
Posts: 6,877
Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
This is blaring through my television system as I clean up around the house:

 
__________________


אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator
 
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 07:17 PM   #45649
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,865
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
lol. fuck reznor. talentless git.

I suppose I can see why someone might get that idea. He is a meat heat and he loves Rush and he's a figure who gained popularity in the post-Nirvana '90s, so there's a compulsion to think of him as part of that group of totally goddamn boring gutless faux metal shock groups (see Tool, RATM, Rob Zombie), but you not liking his music doesn't make him talentless. He's an Oscar winning score composer. He has absolutely refused to even acknowledge trends in popular music, and has only ever done his own thing on his own terms. He can write 12:00 industrial metal anthems, moody, complex piano-based instrumental pieces, and pop songs that pull from Depeche Mode, the Cure, Ministry, and Pinl Floyd in equal measure. He loves his fans and hates record companies, and he has probably done more, at the mainstream level, for electronic music than anyone else from is era.

So call his music crappy all you want, but be fair. The guy is objectively talented.

That's not why I listen. I listen because it takes me back to high school... To the downward spiral, and simpler times. When a handjob made a weekend a success, and failure was... No handjob. Sucky, but a pretty mild low compared to how life gets later on.

Anyway, I like it. It's fun. And good. It's even great at moments.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 08:14 PM   #45650
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo
 
Bytor Peltor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlen, Texas
Posts: 6,877
Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
He died 23 years ago today:

 
__________________


אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator
 
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 09:56 PM   #45651
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I suppose I can see why someone might get that idea. He is a meat heat and he loves Rush and he's a figure who gained popularity in the post-Nirvana '90s, so there's a compulsion to think of him as part of that group of totally goddamn boring gutless faux metal shock groups (see Tool, RATM, Rob Zombie), but you not liking his music doesn't make him talentless. He's an Oscar winning score composer. He has absolutely refused to even acknowledge trends in popular music, and has only ever done his own thing on his own terms. He can write 12:00 industrial metal anthems, moody, complex piano-based instrumental pieces, and pop songs that pull from Depeche Mode, the Cure, Ministry, and Pinl Floyd in equal measure. He loves his fans and hates record companies, and he has probably done more, at the mainstream level, for electronic music than anyone else from is era.

So call his music crappy all you want, but be fair. The guy is objectively talented.

That's not why I listen. I listen because it takes me back to high school... To the downward spiral, and simpler times. When a handjob made a weekend a success, and failure was... No handjob. Sucky, but a pretty mild low compared to how life gets later on.

Anyway, I like it. It's fun. And good. It's even great at moments.

(a) If you ever throw tool into that mix of faux metal artists again I will jump on a plane and kick your ass, period.

(b) I agree with you completely, Trent Reznor is completely misunderstood, the guy is talented, I think his problem is he never focused it. Like, he has had a handful of epically great songs, but I feel never a complete album. He has made a few fucking frightening video game scores, but not everything in that medium he's done is good. He's contributed to inspiring cinema score, but only showed glimpses of brilliance. He's been the producer on albums for other bands that were all-time great records, but only sometimes. Its like, Trent, sit down and focus on one thing, and thrive at it, because there is clearly a lot of potential.
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 10:33 PM   #45652
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,865
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
(a) If you ever throw tool into that mix of faux metal artists again I will jump on a plane and kick your ass, period.

(b) I agree with you completely, Trent Reznor is completely misunderstood, the guy is talented, I think his problem is he never focused it. Like, he has had a handful of epically great songs, but I feel never a complete album. He has made a few fucking frightening video game scores, but not everything in that medium he's done is good. He's contributed to inspiring cinema score, but only showed glimpses of brilliance. He's been the producer on albums for other bands that were all-time great records, but only sometimes. Its like, Trent, sit down and focus on one thing, and thrive at it, because there is clearly a lot of potential.


Sorry. I have post tool stress syndrome thing going on. Has to do with meeting them, for one thing, and seeing them become almost an afterthought to A Perfect Circle, whom I also saw live (with Nine Inch Nails, coincidentally), who were such an embarrassment as a "spin-off" band that they actually make me feel proud of Foo Fighters.

APC sounded like Incubus, played by people who had heard but never grasped Bauhaus. It was awful awful awful prog, and I feel like most of the people at the show were there for them, not for NIN, who was one of my favorite bands on earth at the time.

I'm not really into any big, loud, butt rocky bands other than Nine Inch Nails. Loudness doesn't appeal to me anymore. Not when it's just for loud messes sake. (Unless it's Electric Wizard or Neurosis or something.

I do have to disagree about the "complete album" comment you made, because I believe that The Downward Spiral is quite complete, and brilliant throughout. Year Zero and The Slip are both also surprisingly well put together albums. Are they 100% great? No. But they're 85 or higher, and they're weird as hell for billboard chart toppers. So is Broken, despite being only 8-9 songs long, depending on what you consider "pinion" to be.

Anyway...
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.27.2013, 10:50 PM   #45653
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Sorry. I have post tool stress syndrome thing going on. Has to do with meeting them, for one thing, and seeing them become almost an afterthought to A Perfect Circle, whom I also saw live (with Nine Inch Nails, coincidentally), who were such an embarrassment as a "spin-off" band that they actually make me feel proud of Foo Fighters.

A Perfect Circle is not a spin off, its a side project, and as with the case sometimes, artists move on with new projects. tool is not over, but the A Perfect Circle interlude I thought was well timed for the break in between Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Quote:
APC sounded like Incubus, played by people who had heard but never grasped Bauhaus. It was awful awful awful prog, and I feel like most of the people at the show were there for them, not for NIN, who was one of my favorite bands on earth at the time.

I disagree, it was more like coffee shop tool with a distinctively different kind of bass structure and more singing, less growling.


Quote:

I do have to disagree about the "complete album" comment you made, because I believe that The Downward Spiral is quite complete, and brilliant throughout.

I agree with you, and I feel The Downward Spiral is the closet to a brilliantly complete NIN album, but even it has lows in comparison with its highs, and some of the material comes across blatantly as filler.

Quote:
Year Zero and The Slip are both also surprisingly well put together albums. Are they 100% great? No. But they're 85 or higher, and they're weird as hell for billboard chart toppers. So is Broken, despite being only 8-9 songs long, depending on what you consider "pinion" to be.


Wasn't dissing the production or craft, just my feeling of the sound. NIN albums always feel like in part they fall short of their potential. Its just my opinion, not a fact.

Quote:
Anyway...

Yeah, just don't diss tool anymore. We can agree the Trent Reznor is talented, and I enjoy A LOT of what he has done, I just think he needs to focus on ONE thing, and do it exceptionally, and I agree, the Downward Spiral is the closest to that, but that was what, 20 years ago?
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2013, 02:14 AM   #45654
pony
the end of the ugly
 
pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: pony farm
Posts: 1,018
pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
 
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2013, 06:33 AM   #45655
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,865
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
A Perfect Circle is not a spin off, its a side project, and as with the case sometimes, artists move on with new projects. tool is not over, but the A Perfect Circle interlude I thought was well timed for the break in between Lateralus and 10,000 Days.



I disagree, it was more like coffee shop tool with a distinctively different kind of bass structure and more singing, less growling.




I agree with you, and I feel The Downward Spiral is the closet to a brilliantly complete NIN album, but even it has lows in comparison with its highs, and some of the material comes across blatantly as filler.



Wasn't dissing the production or craft, just my feeling of the sound. NIN albums always feel like in part they fall short of their potential. Its just my opinion, not a fact.



Yeah, just don't diss tool anymore. We can agree the Trent Reznor is talented, and I enjoy A LOT of what he has done, I just think he needs to focus on ONE thing, and do it exceptionally, and I agree, the Downward Spiral is the closest to that, but that was what, 20 years ago?


I (grudgingly) won't diss Tool anymore. Jesus. I'm already not allowed to in "real" life because they're one of Noisefield's favorite bands, but yeah, that's totally fine. I'll censor my irrational negativity completely. No problem.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2013, 07:13 AM   #45656
louder
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,003
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
 


one of the most creative artists in hip-hop/R&B these days.

can't wait for his sophomore album.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2013, 01:08 PM   #45657
EVOLghost
invito al cielo
 
EVOLghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: cybatraz!
Posts: 11,317
EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
 



Morita Doji.


album is Mother Sky.
__________________
"Quote as fuck."



 
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2013, 02:39 PM   #45658
pony
the end of the ugly
 
pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: pony farm
Posts: 1,018
pony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's assespony kicks all y'all's asses
 
pony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2013, 04:07 PM   #45659
sonic sphere
invito al cielo
 
sonic sphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Aarhus, Denmark
Posts: 4,429
sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
 
__________________
"trolling asshat" - All Hail WATT

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.28.2013, 07:12 PM   #45660
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I (grudgingly) won't diss Tool anymore. Jesus. I'm already not allowed to in "real" life because they're one of Noisefield's favorite bands, but yeah, that's totally fine. I'll censor my irrational negativity completely. No problem.

I was being facetious, you can diss whomever you'd like, I'm not into censorship, however, I'm going to call you out anytime, which by the way, you should in turn do whenever I shit on Jay-Z or Kanye which I do routinely
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
1283
1783218322332273228022812282 2283 228422852286229323332383 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth