Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sister vs. Daydream Nation?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Sister vs. Daydream Nation
I prefer Sister 45 40.91%
I prefer Daydream Nation 65 59.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

 
Thread Tools
Old 08.30.2016, 08:18 PM   #101
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
a thousand leaves NYC murray street sonic nurse is what i believe Sonic Yoith's best sequence of releases, their best "run"
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2016, 03:24 AM   #102
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,065
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Evol. Sister. Daydream Nation. I'm not sure three more perfec albums have ever been released in succession by any artist. I'd throw Bad Moon Rising into that lot as well. I actually prefer it as an album to Evol. Sometimes BMR is pretty much my favorite SY album.

It's easy to kinda toss Goo under the bus, and say it belongs to another era entirely and shows the band stepping out of the underground and into less intellectual territory. But I love Goo (except for "My Friend Goo"... man I fucking hate that song, it's just a pimple on the album) and I consider it to be a great follow up to Daydream. If you just listen to the music of both albums, and don't let the art and photo ops and difference in aesthetic get in the way, it really makes sense. And it kicks fucking ass too. Some of their best tracks are on Goo... "Dirty Boots," "Tunic," "Disappearer," "Titanium Exposé"... fuck man. If not for "My Friend Goo," I'd say it was their fifth perfect album in a row.

I could (and will, if I don't watch myself) talk about this shit all day and all night and never get a goddamn thing done. I could ruminate about Sonic Youth's albums ad infinutum. So pardon my rambling.

Now I have an insane urge to listen to, like, every Sonic Youth album we've mentioned. All at once. And pontificate endlessly about all of them. So I should shut up and go do real life stuff before that urge takes over.
Nooo, to me BMR is not even close EVOL. BMR is of course great album like all the SY albums, but when bought it same time as EVOL, EVOL was the one I listened again and again, always listened BMR much less. I know BMR is important album to many SY fans, but to me it hasnīt ever been, I prefer even CIS and first more than BMR.

I think GOO is better than DDN, itīs less straightforward and a little bit back to the Sister stuff (Dirty is even more). Because talk of the almost every SY album, I think I will rate them again (I know there will be lots of disagreement about my list):
1. Sister
2. EVOL
3. ATL
4. Washing Machine
5. Made In Usa
6. Demonlover
7. Dirty
8. GOO
9. Murray Street
10. Nurse
11. Rather Ripped
12. DDN
13. Eternal
14. Nyc Ghosts & Flowers
15. Sonic Death
16. CIS
17. First
18. BMR
19. Experimental

Not put any SYRs into this even SYR9 is also soundtrack.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2016, 03:31 AM   #103
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,065
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
all this Beatles talk just reminds me of how great Dylan is. he released "Subterranean Home Sick Blues" before "I can't get no Satisfaction" as a single. crazy! The Beatles hadn't yet released Help and almost a year before Rubber Soul.

not only did he changed things but he became the most historic nerd troll ever after Another Side of Bob Dylan. the dude 'played' his audience like no one before to end up on something grand and beyond the beat beautiful and settling on Blonde on Blonde.

Highway 61 is one of the biggest, nicest FU album in history. the absurdity of it all and the comedy.

"Desolation Row" is one of the most absurdly funny hallucinogenic retardedly beautiful songs ever. ironically he wrote some of the best 'wrong' love songs ever in this era.

pretentious dull poet looking for credit or smart ass stupid lyricist trolling big time? that's Dylan.
Have to disagree again. Not going to say anything against the importance of Dylan to Beatles & the Stones and almost all rock music after Dylan and even Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 revisited, Blonde On Blonde, John Wesley Harding & Basement Tapes are huge albums (listen them a lot recently) I donīt think Dylan musically ever rose into level of Beatles & Stones.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2016, 02:00 PM   #104
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Nooo, to me BMR is not even close EVOL. BMR is of course great album like all the SY albums, but when bought it same time as EVOL, EVOL was the one I listened again and again, always listened BMR much less. I know BMR is important album to many SY fans, but to me it hasnīt ever been, I prefer even CIS and first more than BMR.

I think GOO is better than DDN, itīs less straightforward and a little bit back to the Sister stuff (Dirty is even more). Because talk of the almost every SY album, I think I will rate them again (I know there will be lots of disagreement about my list):
1. Sister
2. EVOL
3. ATL
4. Washing Machine
5. Made In Usa
6. Demonlover
7. Dirty
8. GOO
9. Murray Street
10. Nurse
11. Rather Ripped
12. DDN
13. Eternal
14. Nyc Ghosts & Flowers
15. Sonic Death
16. CIS
17. First
18. BMR
19. Experimental

Not put any SYRs into this even SYR9 is also soundtrack.

goo above daydream nation?? and i thought MY SY opinions were controversial!

here is my non SYR ranking

1. sonic nurse
2. a thousand leaves
3. daydream nation
4. sister
5. the eternal
6. dirty
7. washing machine
8. rather ripped
9. EVOL
10. nyc ghosts and flowers
11. sonic death
12. made in usa
13. bad moon rising
14. murray street
15. goo
16. confusion is sex
17. experimental jet set trash no star (and everytime i listen to this record i feel like i am dissing it putting it unanimously at the bottom of the list, i mean there are some really good songs on it BUT everytime i make this list it always finds its way here at the bottom)
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 03:40 AM   #105
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,065
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
goo above daydream nation?? and i thought MY SY opinions were controversial!

here is my non SYR ranking

1. sonic nurse
2. a thousand leaves
3. daydream nation
4. sister
5. the eternal
6. dirty
7. washing machine
8. rather ripped
9. EVOL
10. nyc ghosts and flowers
11. sonic death
12. made in usa
13. bad moon rising
14. murray street
15. goo
16. confusion is sex
17. experimental jet set trash no star (and everytime i listen to this record i feel like i am dissing it putting it unanimously at the bottom of the list, i mean there are some really good songs on it BUT everytime i make this list it always finds its way here at the bottom)
My opinion has always been GOO is better than DDN. Goo was my first SY-album, listened quite soon also DDN and thought then it had nothing to add to GOO although of course it was great too. In GOO I think only Kool Thing is a little bit boring song. Both albums have one song in my top10, Candle & Disappearer.

No hardness to understand why you prefer Nurse so much, but when you like Nurse so much, why Murray is so low? I think those two have lots in common, the reason why Murray is above Nurse in my list is I just love so much Karen revisited and there are not such a trip in Nurse (well Nurse has I love You Golden Blue thatīs in my top10 sonic songs).

I feel also bad to put Experimental in the end of the list, because itīs just so much greater than many other albums, but in my sonicology itīs just the lowest.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 06:55 AM   #106
matmosphere
empty page
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20
matmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I think Sonic Youth faithfuls are very lucky indeed. Those of us who really love all eras of the band have an almost unparalleled (in the rock world) and totally massive body of work to dig into and feast upon. Few bands get around to releasing as many albums as SY did, let alone great albums, and that's not even taking all the EPs, SYRs, collaborative albums and solo works.

It's not a Dinosaur Jr kind of situation, where the band existed at its best for a few meager years before turning into a caricature of itself for a decade and a half, only to kind of return with some albums that are better than the the worst Dino, but ultimately just sound like lesser rehashings of "classic" Dino. We're much more lucky than, say, Nirvana diehards. I love Nirvana, but if they were my favorite band I'd be frustrated as all hell. Three proper LP's, that's it. Can you imagine? We're absolutely rich by comparison.
Yeah, I was fortunate enough to see them play, but that was a lifetime ago. The memory is not enough.

SY didn't have on-again off-again band dynamics. They were the best version of themselves for decades, and we're still getting caught up with the their archives. They had enough power and sonic diversity over the course of their run of LP's that it's very hard to get sick of any one album or period, let alone the band itself.

Guided By Voices may have a bigger catalogue, but it's also mind numbingly redundant. Flaming Lips may approach Sonic Youth's diversity and lifespan, but they had a few major flops along the way, and now they seem to be a bit stuck. Even the Beatles, whose catalog rivals Sonic Youth's, spent the first quarter of their career playing pretty bland stuff, and didn't get interesting until they were halfway done.

SY is a behemoth. It's awesome that we can have a five page discussion about two albums released in succession that are so completely and utterly different in sound and scope. It's all fucking brilliant though. We're really rather spoiled if you think about it.


Where You Been and Hand It Over are both great albums, but they have a different feel than Dino with Lou for sure. That mid period Dino is certainly more miss than hit though. I think you're selling the new stuff a little short too. I caught them live last year and it was a great show.

With your attitude about the early Beatles stuff all I can say is that you're missing out. That's all great stuff, and although fifty years later it doesn't seem like they were pushing the envelope during that era, they actually were considering the state of music at the time. I'm always surprised that people try to write off the early Beatles stuff or be too "cool" to appreciate it. Without those early Beatles records almost all the music after would be vastly different.

Sy certainly had some turmoil during the first three or four geffen records, and while Dirty is amongst my favorites, Goo and Jet Set are amongst the least favorites.
matmosphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 09:00 AM   #107
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,516
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmosphere
Where You Been and Hand It Over are both great albums, but they have a different feel than Dino with Lou for sure. That mid period Dino is certainly more miss than hit though. I think you're selling the new stuff a little short too. I caught them live last year and it was a great show.

With your attitude about the early Beatles stuff all I can say is that you're missing out. That's all great stuff, and although fifty years later it doesn't seem like they were pushing the envelope during that era, they actually were considering the state of music at the time. I'm always surprised that people try to write off the early Beatles stuff or be too "cool" to appreciate it. Without those early Beatles records almost all the music after would be vastly different.

Sy certainly had some turmoil during the first three or four geffen records, and while Dirty is amongst my favorites, Goo and Jet Set are amongst the least favorites.

Sorry, I must have given the wrong impression.
I DO like the newer Dino stuff. Especially Beyond. And Farm has one of my all time favorite Seb- uh, Dino songs ("Your Weather.") I've also caught some Dino shows post-reunion. The first was shortly after Beyond came out (or shortly before... honestly can't recall) but it was EXCELLENT, and they remain an incredible live act.

Re: the Beatles
I didn't mean to suggest that I don't love early Beatles. I do. I went nuts over the BBC sessions 2 a few years ago. I love Anthology 1 and the first BBC sessions. All I meant was that compared to Abbey Road, the White Album, Revolver, etc., their early material wasn't exactly mind blowing. It was still great music, carefully composed and beautiful, and their personalities and general group dynamic in those early years was really something. There is no Beatles era or music that I dislike, except for a song or two here and there.
No, please don't get me wrong. I fucking love the Beatles to the point of near-obsession. I've read more books on them (as a band and as individuals) than any other artist. My love for them and my curiosity about/interest in them is without limit. They probably wouldn't make it into a current list of my top 5 artists, but from an all-time perspective, they're right up there with Sonic Youh and the Velvet Underground.
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I guess I take it as a matter of public record that I'm a Beatles devotee, and that anyone reading my playfully disparaging comments about their pre-Rubber Soul days would take it with a grain of salt. Sorry. To be crystal clear: I fucking love the Beatles like woah.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 09:08 AM   #108
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,516
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
...
5. Made In Usa
6. Demonlover
7. Dirty
8. GOO
9. Murray Street
10. Nurse
11. Rather Ripped
12. DDN
13. Eternal
14. Nyc Ghosts & Flowers
15. Sonic Death
16. CIS
17. First
18. BMR
19. Experimental

Not put any SYRs into this even SYR9 is also soundtrack.

WOW man. You like Made in USA and Demonlover more than Daydream Nation?! AND Murray Street, Nurse, Bad Moon Rising??! I would never even think to put those two releases on a "favorite Sonic Youth albums" list. I don't think of them as "albums" at all.

Wow. Just.. wow. That is the strangest Sonic Youth list I've ever seen, my friend. No offense. I'm not trying to be a jerk at al, I'm just... well, I'm kind of speechless.

With SFAD's list, at least I can understand it. I myself have gone through lengthy periods of preferring ATL-Sonic Jurse to everything else in the Sonic Youth discography. So, SFAD, I feel you.

But Mortte... wow. You and I are on entirely different wavelengths. Nothing wrong with that though. There would be no point in talking about this stuff if we didn't have different perspectives to share
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2016, 09:26 AM   #109
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,516
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
My own "favorite SY albums" list is always in flux. I don't include any of the SYR's, soundtracks, sessions releases, live albums or EP's (except for CIS/KIY and self-titled because they've more or less been retroactively deemed the band's "first albums" as far as most of the world is concerned. I think of Bad Moon Rising as their first proper long-player, but not including Confusion is Sex would be rubbish.

I'll give it a shot, but remember, this is always subject to change without warning or reason.

1. Sister
2. Daydream Nation
3. Murray Street
4. A Thousand Leaves
5. Bad Moon Rising
6. Sonic Nurse
7. Evol
8. Goo
9. Washing Machine
10. Rather Ripped
11. Dirty
12. Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
13. NYC Ghosts & Flowers
14. Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr Idols
15. Sonic Youth
16. The Eternal

* Note: In my opinion there isn't a bad album in the bunch. In fact, I think most of these records are perfect. The few that aren't, like those last few entries, are still downright great albums, with the possible exception of The Eternal, which is "very good" with a number of great moments, and even some perfect ones. I just want to make it clear that I think everything on this list puts most guitar-based music to shame. It's simply an expression of which of these beloved records I love most at this current point in time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 03:03 AM   #110
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,065
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Re: the Beatles
I didn't mean to suggest that I don't love early Beatles. I do. I went nuts over the BBC sessions 2 a few years ago. I love Anthology 1 and the first BBC sessions. All I meant was that compared to Abbey Road, the White Album, Revolver, etc., their early material wasn't exactly mind blowing. It was still great music, carefully composed and beautiful, and their personalities and general group dynamic in those early years was really something. There is no Beatles era or music that I dislike, except for a song or two here and there.
No, please don't get me wrong. I fucking love the Beatles to the point of near-obsession. I've read more books on them (as a band and as individuals) than any other artist. My love for them and my curiosity about/interest in them is without limit. They probably wouldn't make it into a current list of my top 5 artists, but from an all-time perspective, they're right up there with Sonic Youh and the Velvet Underground.
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I guess I take it as a matter of public record that I'm a Beatles devotee, and that anyone reading my playfully disparaging comments about their pre-Rubber Soul days would take it with a grain of salt. Sorry. To be crystal clear: I fucking love the Beatles like woah.
Agree. I had a period when I thought true Beatles music started in Rubber Soul. Then in the nineties came those mono rereleases from early albums, so I bought Please Please Me & Beatles For Sale and really started to respect their early stuff too, but still I am thinking the later is just better. From those early albums I think With the Beatles & Help! are the best entities, although there are very many really huge songs in Hard Days Night too. And great songs in the rest too. I think to me Beatles will never be even in the top20 artist list, but still always will be really important band.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 03:15 AM   #111
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,065
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
WOW man. You like Made in USA and Demonlover more than Daydream Nation?! AND Murray Street, Nurse, Bad Moon Rising??! I would never even think to put those two releases on a "favorite Sonic Youth albums" list. I don't think of them as "albums" at all.

Wow. Just.. wow. That is the strangest Sonic Youth list I've ever seen, my friend. No offense. I'm not trying to be a jerk at al, I'm just... well, I'm kind of speechless.

With SFAD's list, at least I can understand it. I myself have gone through lengthy periods of preferring ATL-Sonic Jurse to everything else in the Sonic Youth discography. So, SFAD, I feel you.

But Mortte... wow. You and I are on entirely different wavelengths. Nothing wrong with that though. There would be no point in talking about this stuff if we didn't have different perspectives to share
Well, maybe you donīt need any explanations, but I will try still. First that I think you already know, itīs honest list, I donīt have any need to be "different SY-fan". I know to many fans BMR & DDN are milestones without any questions, to me they just never been (well I think they would, if they havenīt made such a milestones to me like Sister, EVOL, ATL & Washing Machine). I have really loved Made In Usa & Demonlover immediately when heard them first time. To me they worked as an album. I could have put there SYR1,2,3,6,7&9 because I think theyīre too as great as their albums, but decided then leave them away. I know many people thinks about SYRS and Made In Usa that theyīre not albums, I mean the band probably didnīt record them thinking making an album. To me it hasnīt ever mean nothing, is some album "a thought entity" or just recorded with spontanity, if itīs great then itīs great.

When thinking my list, you easily notice the albums that has those great melodic guitars are high. The other thing that means a lot in SY music to me, is how much they give me visions. Made In Usa, Demonlover and those great SYRS give me a lot. Well every Sonic music give me visions, but those that are high on the list give me most. And really DDN & BMR are just so fuckin amazing albums like experimental even I donīt rate them high.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 06:38 AM   #112
Screaming Skull
children of satan
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 264
Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
1. Sister - 10/10
2. Daydream Nation - 10/10
3. Washing Machine - 9/10
4. Dirty - 9/10
5. Murray Street - 9/10
6. Evol - 9/10
7. Sonic Nurse - 8/10
8. Goo - 8/10
9. Confusion Is Sex + Kill Your Idols - 8/10
10. Bad Moon Rising - 7/10
11. Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star - 7/10
12. The Eternal - 7/10
13. Rather Ripped - 7/10
14. Sonic Youth - 6/10
15. A Thousand Leaves - 6/10
16. New York City Ghosts & Flowers - 5/10
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 12:02 PM   #113
Diesel
little trouble girl
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South side
Posts: 48
Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
So many old names in this thread who used to post. The memories! I'm depressed just scrolling through. like just fucking kille me
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 10:27 PM   #114
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,516
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Well, maybe you donīt need any explanations, but I will try still. First that I think you already know, itīs honest list, I donīt have any need to be "different SY-fan". I know to many fans BMR & DDN are milestones without any questions, to me they just never been (well I think they would, if they havenīt made such a milestones to me like Sister, EVOL, ATL & Washing Machine). I have really loved Made In Usa & Demonlover immediately when heard them first time. To me they worked as an album. I could have put there SYR1,2,3,6,7&9 because I think theyīre too as great as their albums, but decided then leave them away. I know many people thinks about SYRS and Made In Usa that theyīre not albums, I mean the band probably didnīt record them thinking making an album. To me it hasnīt ever mean nothing, is some album "a thought entity" or just recorded with spontanity, if itīs great then itīs great.

When thinking my list, you easily notice the albums that has those great melodic guitars are high. The other thing that means a lot in SY music to me, is how much they give me visions. Made In Usa, Demonlover and those great SYRS give me a lot. Well every Sonic music give me visions, but those that are high on the list give me most. And really DDN & BMR are just so fuckin amazing albums like experimental even I donīt rate them high.

I dig it man. I get where you're coming from. You're right that all the albums you listed are great. I really adore some of the SYRs too. Especially 1, 2, 5 and 9. Some of the band's best moments are on those releases.

I also love Demonlover.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 11:15 PM   #115
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
So many old names in this thread who used to post. The memories! I'm depressed just scrolling through. like just fucking kille me

i did the same thing
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2016, 11:33 PM   #116
pepper_green
Banned
 
pepper_green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 0
pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
^^ fuck off you crybaby!
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2016, 12:02 AM   #117
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,065
Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I also think sometimes my old friends from that I have heard nothing for long time. But I think there is reason why I havenīt heard them and I am completely satisfied about my social life this moment.

Really hope that shit "this place is dead" doesnīt start again, I think here has been quite ok feeling at the moment from a long time.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2016, 12:43 AM   #118
pepper_green
Banned
 
pepper_green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 0
pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Mortte you should listen to Travis Scott, Young Thug and Futher. goddamn sickist shit. can't tell you. sippin. blue, maybe purple. pot of porridge dinosuaris. fuck my oris. yr a tourist. lick bourist. how notorious. uh!
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2016, 08:39 AM   #119
Diesel
little trouble girl
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South side
Posts: 48
Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Well Mortte, the old seems to have been replaced with an obnoxious right-wing TMZ prickfest that fails to grasp the mind-blowing concept of opinion.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2016, 10:40 AM   #120
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,516
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Well, I also think sometimes my old friends from that I have heard nothing for long time. But I think there is reason why I havenīt heard them and I am completely satisfied about my social life this moment.

Really hope that shit "this place is dead" doesnīt start again, I think here has been quite ok feeling at the moment from a long time.

I'm glad you're feeling ok about it here at the moment. I like you. You have great taste in music.

Sorry about that one time, like a year ago or more, when I gave you the impression that I didn't like you. I still think about that. You're a good guy, and I hope I made it clear that I never meant you any disrespect.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|


Thread Tools

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth