Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page reasessing experimental jet set, trash, and no star
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.03.2007, 03:55 PM   #41
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Porky, that is my favorite song. I really love it. Now that you say that it makes it even more special to me.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 03:59 PM   #42
sarramkrop

Yeah, it's become my alternative gay anthem too. It makes me feel safe so that I don't have to parade myself on the streets dressed like a barbie doll.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 11:53 PM   #43
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought the underlying references in Andogynous Mind were pretty obvious......you gotta fight, to free your mind.
Old 09.04.2007, 02:27 AM   #44
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I'm right there with those that say "Starfield Road" should have been allowed to be finished! That's the case with the whole damn album though. They were trying way too hard to connect with the "indie rock kids" anb be Guided By Voices, and even name-checked that in every interview.

I think a big part of why Washing Machine is so awesome is that they realized they didn't get any more successful for doing essentially edit versions of real Sonic Youth songs and releasing that. So they went back to finishing the songs and we got "Diamond Sea" and "Washing Machine" for it. "Starfield Road" could have been a song like one of those.

I like most of the songs on EJST&NS, but I've never gotten into it as a completed album. I've also been really annoyed from the get go that Sonic Youth's arguably least experimental album (at least until Rather Ripped) has "Experimental" as the first word on the cover!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 02:39 AM   #45
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
I dunno, I always loved that starfield rd is what it is, so sweet, so brief, it would kill it to drag it out any longer, and lets not forget that in accordance with relativity a second can easily be a decade and vice versa, so in a way it already is ten minutes long, to access this experience, simply find a way to really not enjoy the song and then it will begin to elongate until it seems to stretch into infinity, or, scratch your record (or cd) just so, to create a skip/loop which will recreate the same effect without you having to go through the tricky emotional journey of finding a way to loathe what is, in essence one of the sweetest moments they ever did wax. shame they never play it live no more.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 02:49 AM   #46
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
I've always liked this album.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 03:29 PM   #47
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I think this is probably SY's most underrated album. I see it as some others here do as a transitional album. SY were moving away from the straight ahead produced rock of Dirty and venturing out to new areas.

Experimental Jet Set introduces alot of features that would be put to better use on Washing Machine. They start getting more strange and atmospheric using more of their pedals to create textures instead of riffs. A few of the songs on Experimental if put to a longer length would fit in perfectly with WM.(like Self Obsessed, Starfield Road, Bone)

This album brings sonic youth back to messing with that raw noisy sound again. They had given up trying to "get commercial" and started going back to their senses and roots. Ironically the record had one of their biggest singles "bull in the heather".(which i still dont understand is about)
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 03:46 PM   #48
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
I've always liked Experimental, Jet set, Thrash, and No star even though it's one of their most experimental albums especially after hearing DDN.

Psychic Hearts was awesome why do you hate it?

Can someone please explain to me how exactly Experimental Jet Set is an experimental album?!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 03:49 PM   #49
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Ironically the record had one of their biggest singles "bull in the heather".(which i still dont understand is about)[/quote]

Bull in the Heather is not really about anything. Obvioulsy Kim's role is of playing a helpless submissive female. And how she waits for the Bull, which could be any testosterone laden man. Its more of an observation of American gender roles etc.

"betting" is just a refrence to the inevitable of the man prouncing so to speak.

My impression is that is more rooted in female based themes than scathing of male\manness that is evident in her other lyrics...

The clever title seemed to fit in with the era of other titles such "Hole" or "Pretty on the Inside".
Old 05.05.2008, 03:50 PM   #50
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
I think distinctions should be made between "MASTERPIECES" such as DDN, Washing Machine or Sister or blah
and "COOL " SY LPs such as Sonic Nurse, Murray Street , and EJSTANS, in fact.
True it lacks any EPIC moments, but that's not what it's about
I think the forthcoming biog / book about SY will tell that they wanted to break from accusations of selling out (which i think are stupid as I personnaly LOVE EACH release for its inner qualities (DIRTY is not pretty but it's MASSIVE; GOO is not EPIC but it's SINGULAR and quite radical imo)

So i don't need to reassess this album, it's cool and pretty, filled with melodic finds and aerial moments, I really LIKE this album VERY MUCH.

Another point is it's very akin to the Pavement sound i like or even Sebadoh at times. I like the fact that it could be considered as a meeting point especially in 1993/1994, epitome of that indie sound i cherish, golden era.

+

Kegmama once sent me a vinyl copy (are they all blue vinyl or...?)of this very LP, which happily sits on my shelf ;That made my day at the time, thx again;
love the artwork, very Pavement -ish too

nuff said
yes i used capitals
Old 05.05.2008, 03:50 PM   #51
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Can someone please explain to me how exactly Experimental Jet Set is an experimental album

Out of SY's album output
Old 05.05.2008, 03:56 PM   #52
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, compared to SY's output this is one of the least experimental albums, along with Dirty and Rather Ripped. Theres always some degree of experimentation of SY records, and compared to many of the incepid generic indie rock bands out there I'm sure this album might sound like it landed from another planet. But compared to SY's catalogue, this is a collection of well crafted short pop songs, nothing more.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 03:56 PM   #53
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
This album is still bad. The songs sound like they were written in 10 minutes. :/
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 03:56 PM   #54
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
mmm
expermiental....
it is not
isn't that supposed to be an ironic title
he he
experimental = cf SYR
no?
Old 05.05.2008, 04:25 PM   #55
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei
It's my favorite Exp Jet Set song along with Tokyo Eye. I always wondered what is Androgynous Mind about? Is that about Cobain?!?

I always relate it to Brian Molko although Placebo weren't around when this album was released.

I really like EJST&NS, my favourite songs are Sweet Shine, Bull in the Heather, Starfield Road, Screaming Skull and Bone.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 04:46 PM   #56
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
BORING

dull songs

dull dull toss off musical "ideas"

sonic youth's nadir
Old 05.05.2008, 06:10 PM   #57
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
(are they all blue vinyl or...?)

Yup. There's different US (on DGC) and European (Geffen) pressings though.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 06:41 PM   #58
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Winner's Blues alone as the opening track makes this an epic album for me. I definitely do not see this album as a transitional album. If so, then every album is. How else to you get from EJSTANS to ATL without having Washing Machine? That doesn't mean that Washing Machine is a transitional album.... I'm surprised to hear that this album sucks or is boring to some. I couldn't say that for any Sonic Youth album. Man, my favorite song at the moment is Quest for the Cup. For me lately, nothing can beat listening to this song on full volume and just jumping up and down, acting a fool.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 07:05 PM   #59
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
ive nevr been blown away by it. i need to hear it again. the past few days i have been revisiting so,e SY that i havent heard in ages, like the destroyed room and washing machine. EJS is next on that list.
and i dont understand the dirty hatin'. it is one of my favorites. almost every song completely rocks on it. it was the first SY album that i got, and it took me ages to get them but it completely opened up my mind to a new degree of sounds and rythm and experimentation-theresas sound world, 100% wish fulfillment, shoot.
and the instrumental part where theu play really fast on chapel hill was so mindblowing to me.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 07:32 PM   #60
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

I think Jet Set is suppossed to sound "bad". "bad" is an artistic quality...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth