Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.02.2012, 04:43 PM   #1441
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Hard to know how to feel after that. So far all 3 strikers look ok. Defoe will always be dangerous, welbeck had a good game and took a very good goal, and i thought carrol looked good against Norway, linking up with ashley young nicely. Young looked rubbish today though, slow and easily gave away possesion.
I dont think we have a problem defensively and up front we are dangerous. We just cant seem to get the ball up to our strickers. Which is odd because gerrard, parker and milner are really good too.
Im gonna blame walcot and downing
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2012, 06:54 PM   #1442
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think our defence looks ok. Ashley Cole is obviously superb and I really rate Cahill. Personally I'd start Lescott ahead of Terry but so long as he stays fit and behaves himself, he does work well with Cahill and is greatly helped by Parker sitting just behind the midfield. I still don't like Glenn Johnson. A strong winger will tear him apart. He's fine when we're chasing a game but I don't trust him if we're trying to defend a lead. I think we still really miss Gary Neville in that position.

Our forwards will always score if given the chance but the problem, as you say, is our midfield. Gerrard's not the player he was and Milner's decent but not one to turn a game around. I still have a soft spot for Wallcot but he's obviously not a player you can rely on, and Oxlade Chamberlain seems another tournament away from showing his real potential. Young does go missing and makes mistakes but (as we saw today) he's always capable of doing something out of the blue, making him probably our most dangerous midfielder at the moment. But I think the midfield will generally struggle to create chances and likely get heavily overrun by the better teams. Our best bet may be with set-pieces. We have a fair bit of height and Terry, Cahill, Carroll, etc are always dangerous when it comes to corners.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2012, 10:39 AM   #1443
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Cahill is out, and Martin Kelley is in. Apparently Micah Richards also ruled himself out when he wasn't picked first time. Prick.
Still think we'll be ok with Lescott and Jagielca. It is a shame though
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2012, 01:48 PM   #1444
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.03.2012, 06:34 PM   #1445
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think our defence looks ok. Ashley Cole is obviously superb and I really rate Cahill. Personally I'd start Lescott ahead of Terry but so long as he stays fit and behaves himself, he does work well with Cahill and is greatly helped by Parker sitting just behind the midfield. I still don't like Glenn Johnson. A strong winger will tear him apart. He's fine when we're chasing a game but I don't trust him if we're trying to defend a lead. I think we still really miss Gary Neville in that position.

Id have Lescott and Cahill all day, they both play understudy in their club life but they rise to the challenge for England. If Kyle Walker was fit he's my no1 all day long, he isnt a great defender like Cole yet but he seems like much more of a live wire who's ready to learn and get better than Glen Johnson who just looks comfy as fuck

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2012, 06:37 PM   #1446
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
and youre singing my tune about Gary Neville, ive always loved him. He has the kind of face that people dislike, but he's a thousand times more passionate than some prat like Phil Jones.

Old 06.03.2012, 07:10 PM   #1447
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, G Neville was probably the most underrated of that entire 'golden' generation. You're right, he never really looked the part but was a brilliant defender. It'll be interesting seeing how he does as defensive coach. I reckon even now he's still better than Johnson and the way things are going he may have to don his shin pads again come Monday. We can only hope.
Old 06.03.2012, 07:22 PM   #1448
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, G Neville was probably the most underrated of that entire 'golden' generation. You're right, he never really looked the part but was a brilliant defender. It'll be interesting seeing how he does as defensive coach. I reckon even now he's still better than Johnson and the way things are going he may have to don his shin pads again come Monday. We can only hope.

Im still expecting absolutely fuck all. The Portugal/Holland/Germany group is more interesting at the moment

Old 06.03.2012, 08:28 PM   #1449
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, it's actually quite nice not having that burden of expectation (unless expecting not to get past the group stage counts as expectation). And I'm actually a lot more comfortable with footballing despair than I am optimism. I remember feeling almost envious of the French in the last world cup. Their meltdown really was world class. If things are gonna fuck up for England, let them really fuck up, I say. If we can't come back as winners we may as well come back as the ultimate footballing disaster in the tournament. I'm hoping for brawls after Terry calls Defoe a pickaninny during training. I'm hoping Neville will run onto the pitch mid game to twat Glen Johnson after he makes yet another misjudged gallop forward, leaving the defence exposed. I'm hoping of leaked rumours that a WAG did the nasty with a Ukrainian Mafia boss.
Old 06.03.2012, 09:53 PM   #1450
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
poor US. we used to have a team..

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 01:24 AM   #1451
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, I never saw it but drawing with Canada is pretty bad. Did Dempsey play?

Although a big name, I really don't think Klinsmann was the answer for you guys.
Old 06.04.2012, 03:06 AM   #1452
Bertrand
the end of the ugly

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm hoping of leaked rumours that a WAG did the nasty with a Ukrainian Mafia boss.

That would truly be brilliant...
What could top that, I don't know...
Surely, some team will come up with something...
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 10:00 AM   #1453
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

You've actually got some great players and you're thrashing of Scotland should show more than a draw with Canada.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 10:43 AM   #1454
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

pscheh...

this US team is probably better than ever in terms of quality players. it's a growing sport here and this new generation is showing it by playing in top teams abroad.

also

1) what h8kurdt said!

2) http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/sto...aly-first-time

still, these are friendlies, no real stakes except maybe a bit of pride, so don't expect the moon tomorrow. klinsmann is trying out different systems. please get informed of why and how in this article:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/...-formation-for

i expect klinsmann to do better than bradley. bradley is a good guy and i wish him well working for egypt, but professionally he doesn't have the chops to build a world-class team. klinsmann has had his career ups and downs, but he operates at a different level than bradley-- have some patience and see you in 2 years.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2012, 03:56 PM   #1455
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I think the major plus for the US now is that, in Donovan and Dempsey, they have two players that can reasonably have a team built around them. The danger is that they become a Gerrard-Lampard problem: too similar and end up cancelling each other out.

As el Symbols says, Klinsmann has two years to get it right. I'm still not convinced he's the right man but saying that, I don't know who I would've chosen instead. And at least he's now in a situation where he knows who his two best players are, which has to make any further team selections a lot more straightforward.
Old 06.04.2012, 07:13 PM   #1456
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Just to say, there's a great article in this week's Time magazine by Bill Saporito.

I couldn't find a link to his article so you'll have to buy it if you're interested but it is really worth a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
That would truly be brilliant...
What could top that, I don't know...
Surely, some team will come up with something...

He's apparently doubtful with injury but if he goes, Mario Balotelli has to give Italy the potential edge there. Although John Terry will always put England in contention.
Old 06.04.2012, 07:17 PM   #1457
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Just to say, there's a great article in this week's Time magazine by Bill Saporito.

I couldn't find a link to his article so you'll have to buy it if you're interested but it is really worth a read.

Thats all well and good, but why is he standing like a ballerina?

Old 06.04.2012, 07:21 PM   #1458
demonrail666
invito al cielo

A slot on Strictly if things go as tits up as we expect this June?
Old 06.04.2012, 07:25 PM   #1459
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Well Audley Harrison is still boxing, so anythings possible

Old 06.04.2012, 10:44 PM   #1460
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Of possible interest to US posters in this thread ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...-brazil-canada
63707172 73 74757683123173 > »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth