Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 12.01.2012, 08:44 PM   #2181
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 12,396
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
When Becks came to LA it was sort of like *yawn*

the dude has been quite the good luck charm after his tumultuous introduction, after today that is three MLS Championships out of four appearances, and suddenly people in America have been paying attention to MLS (largely because of the USA National Team but still)...



 

Interesting. I don't know anything about MLS other than that Galaxy here in LA seems to have been kicking asses for years running. Good for them, but it combined with being the anchor of the national team is killing Landon Donovan. At least like Jordan he is having the opportunity here to go out on top.
__________________

 




"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2012, 10:57 PM   #2182
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 12,396
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
what are ya'll talking about? they have soccer in the US? if so, what paper or channel should i read or watch? you people are strange.

Yes, but it isn't necessarily as exciting as other varieties of American football

 
__________________

 




"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 05:13 AM   #2183
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,047
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yes, but it isn't necessarily as exciting as other varieties of American football

 

That just looks like an episode of American Gladiators. And in women's soccer you have Hope Solo. Come on America. It's like you have a (re)fridge(rator) full of filet mignon and you're running to the supermarket for microwavable cheeseburgers. Send her to us (more specifically me) if you don't want her. Whatever you do, keep Hope alive. Yes you can.

 
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 09:06 AM   #2184
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I just watched the highlights of that. As you say, pretty fair, but Goetze's equaliser was something special. I'm really starting to like Dortmund, I think.


dortmund is a great fucking team and they did a good job of containing bayern who dominated the najority of the game i think but couldn't score (i blame mandzukic). the first half of the match was played on dortmund ground, but it was absolute trench warfare.

badstuber had an unfortunate fall and fucked his knee and was replaced by boateng who was returning after an injury. what a great fucking deep bench bayern has.

2nd half they took turns on the attack, and yes gotze was brilliant but i think mandzukic ended up bungling bayern's attack-- also notice it was his header that enable the dortmund goal. the poor guy had a cursed day, wish he had been replaced sooner, he was going to, but then the goal came, heynckes held back to see, then dortmund's goal came, then he took too long to decide finally to put gomez in, and with gomez the bayern attack got better but there just wasn't enough time.

anyway worth a watch in replay if you can catch it. commentators are complaining the first half was "slow" but i saw it differently-it was extremely intense and contested so that nobody could do anything, but that wasn't boring, you just had to now where to look for the action. anyway i enjoyed it lots.

i also realized i like bayern more than dortmund. yes dortmund has great players like reus and gotze and lewandowski but i also dislike its dirty-playing defenders like pizcek and subotic, whereas in bayern everyone is great, even that new mule-faced spaniard that cost (why the fuck so much) 40 million euros.

anyway, i loved the game, made my weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Whatever you do, keep Hope alive. Yes you can.




 

you might be a little late for that

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...abuse-reports/

she says it's rumors and slander but we'll see
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 09:51 AM   #2185
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,047
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
dortmund is a great fucking team and they did a good job of containing bayern who dominated the najority of the game i think but couldn't score (i blame mandzukic). the first half of the match was played on dortmund ground, but it was absolute trench warfare.

badstuber had an unfortunate fall and fucked his knee and was replaced by boateng who was returning after an injury. what a great fucking deep bench bayern has.

2nd half they took turns on the attack, and yes gotze was brilliant but i think mandzukic ended up bungling bayern's attack-- also notice it was his header that enable the dortmund goal. the poor guy had a cursed day, wish he had been replaced sooner, he was going to, but then the goal came, heynckes held back to see, then dortmund's goal came, then he took too long to decide finally to put gomez in, and with gomez the bayern attack got better but there just wasn't enough time.

anyway worth a watch in replay if you can catch it. commentators are complaining the first half was "slow" but i saw it differently-it was extremely intense and contested so that nobody could do anything, but that wasn't boring, you just had to now where to look for the action. anyway i enjoyed it lots.

i also realized i like bayern more than dortmund. yes dortmund has great players like reus and gotze and lewandowski but i also dislike its dirty-playing defenders like pizcek and subotic, whereas in bayern everyone is great, even that new mule-faced spaniard that cost (why the fuck so much) 40 million euros.

anyway, i loved the game, made my weekend.


you might be a little late for that

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...abuse-reports/

she says it's rumors and slander but we'll see

Even more reason why the lovely Hope should come to me, instead.

As for the Bayern/Dortmund game. I'll try and find a full replay but the highlights I saw were extended (1 hour) so I got a decent picture of what happened. I'm definitely with you, the first half was a great chess match that Bayern definitely edged but it looked like Dortmund actually benefited from Kroos scoring, as it forced their hand while at the same time appearing to unsettle Bayern who looked unsure how to play the rest of the game out. I totally agree with you that Bayern needed to make a change earlier to really get another goal. I didn't pick up on the dirty Dortmund defenders (I support a Sam Allardyce team, remember, so I just call it 'firm') but I thought they were excellent. Very together in all positions as the game went on and as you say, the draw was probably fair, even though Bayern were clearly the better team. (Chelsea played West Ham off the park in the first half but West Ham deserved the win because they simply kept going and hoped that Chelsea would crack - which they did, and took their chances when they came. Very similar to what I saw with Dortmund's comeback). Too many commentators embarrass themselves by insisting that the only good games are 100 miles an hour pinball affairs but I love those nervy, edgy kinds of 'who's gonna blink first' and who will have the nerve to hold it together, kinds of games. If anything, I actually thought the first half was more exciting than the second.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 09:59 AM   #2186
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Even more reason why the lovely Hope should come to me, instead.

As for the Bayern/Dortmund game. I'll try and find a full replay but the highlights I saw were extended (1 hour) so I got a decent picture of what happened. I'm definitely with you, the first half was a great chess match that Bayern definitely edged but it looked like Dortmund actually benefited from Kroos scoring, as it forced their hand while at the same time appearing to unsettle Bayern who looked unsure how to play the rest of the game out. I totally agree with you that Bayern needed to make a change earlier to really get another goal. I didn't pick up on the dirty Dortmund defenders (I support a Sam Allardyce team, remember, so I just call it 'firm') but I thought they were excellent. Very together in all positions as the game went on and as you say, the draw was probably fair, even though Bayern were clearly the better team. (Chelsea played West Ham off the park in the first half but West Ham deserved the win because they simply kept going and hoped that Chelsea would crack - which they did, and took their chances when they came. Very similar to what I saw with Dortmund's comeback). Too many commentators embarrass themselves by insisting that the only good games are 100 miles an hour pinball affairs but I love those nervy, edgy kinds of 'who's gonna blink first' and who will have the nerve to hold it together, kinds of games. If anything, I actually thought the first half was more exciting than the second.

pizscek's way of coping with ribery was highly annoying and over the course of the match deserving of a yellow card in my opinion, but the ref was not the carding kind.

check this at the start of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPFJScUcYXE

more on that "brendan rodgers" youtube channel (is it the real rodgers, i wonder) (no he isn't, the last name is spelled wrong--but hilarious)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 11:51 AM   #2187
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,047
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, I'm purely neutral in all this but that's nothing more than a foul for me, and maybe a talking to. I'd even go so far as to say that's just a 'proper' defender doing his job against someone who wants it all his own way. Although he probably deserved a yellow eventually. It's hard to defend in terms of the spirit of the game but I do like those defenders who push everything to the limit and sometimes over it - unless they're doing it against the team I support, obviously, and even then I just wish we'd sign them. It's that thing of not liking a cunt until they're 'your' cunt. But I wouldn't even put Piczsek in that category. Like I say, I honestly don't see much wrong in the way he plays, even if he did it against West Ham.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 12:03 PM   #2188
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ha ha ha, fair enough. ribery is certainly no crybaby, and that's something extra i love about the bundesliga btw-- very little theatrics in general.

the thing with pizsczek (hard to spell his fucking name) is that he was playing against my favorite player and not letting him play haa haaa haaaa-- if he had been doing that to cronaldo i'd have giggled with amusement. subotic great too but a dick and that only bothers me when he plays bayern haa ha ahaa.

shit, what can i say, i'm fucking biased. but yeah. i like both teams. i just like bayern a little bit more.

btw bayern's defense is no less filthy at times, particularly badstuber who left with an unfortunate broken knee-- he's a fucking yellow card magnet.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 05:17 PM   #2189
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 12,396
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
That just looks like an episode of American Gladiators. And in women's soccer you have Hope Solo. Come on America. It's like you have a (re)fridge(rator) full of filet mignon and you're running to the supermarket for microwavable cheeseburgers. Send her to us (more specifically me) if you don't want her. Whatever you do, keep Hope alive. Yes you can.


 

Dude I LOVE soccer, especially international, but typically American I've never watched a single US Women's team match

To be sure, I've also never seen a Lingerie Football game either, but if I had to chose between twat shots on replay coverage versus women's soccer, I think my selection speaks for itself.
__________________

 




"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 07:33 AM   #2190
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,047
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
So Mourinho confirms he's leaving Real at the end of the season, meaning every top Prem team manager (with the possible exception of Fergie) is gonna feel a lot less secure in their job.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 09:11 AM   #2191
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 25,051
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My Houston Dynamo lost to the beckham Galaxy. damnit. That is two years in a row! fuxxx
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 09:26 AM   #2192
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
So Mourinho confirms he's leaving Real at the end of the season, meaning every top Prem team manager (with the possible exception of Fergie) is gonna feel a lot less secure in their job.

oh shit, and heynckes is retiring at the end of the year!



 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
My Houston Dynamo lost to the beckham Galaxy. damnit. That is two years in a row! fuxxx

sorry to hear man, i mean this in your context, because i was making fun of another dude from houston for this (he was being a dick on an unrelated subject and i took advantage)

ps- you didn't lose to "LA" you lost to the great BRUCE ARENA formerly of DC UNITED hellz yeah.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 11:23 AM   #2193
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,047
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh shit, and heynckes is retiring at the end of the year!



 

Like him or not, Mourinho's a winner and would likely improve any side he goes to, and would be able to attract the very best players. He's always said he wants to come back to the Prem but he says a lot of things so a move to Bayern, while unlikely, can't be ruled out. I've heard they want Guardiola but so does every team and I'm convinced he's either going to Man City or will bide his time until Fergie retires so he can replace him at Man U. The other question of course will be who takes over at Real. I know their board want someone less volatile but no obvious candidate springs to mind. Benitez, maybe? And of course, that leaves a vacancy at Chelsea but what top calibre manager would be stupid enough to go there right now?

Interesting times.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 02:17 PM   #2194
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,047
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Dude I LOVE soccer, especially international, but typically American I've never watched a single US Women's team match

It's not popular here, either, but maybe Women's soccer has the best chance of building any solid audience in the US, even if at the moment it's smaller than its male equivalent. Your women's national team is one of the best in the world, if not the best, whereas it's hard to see how the men's game will ever realistically compete with the best of Europe and South America and increasingly Africa, either on a league or national level. Obviously, woman's team sports will always struggle for a big fanbase wherever it is but there's a credibility to women's soccer in the US that the MLS just doesn't have, either at home or abroad. It's maybe just a case of accepting that reality and acknowledging that there's more to be gained long term from your media making stars out of Hope Solo, et al, than it is out of the likes of Donovan and Dempsey who, as good as they are, will never be seen on a par with say a Michael Jordan or a Dan Marino in terms of their iconic status. Nor will any women footballers but relative to the status of women in other US team sports, they can at least compete.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 02:26 PM   #2195
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I Nor will any women footballers but relative to the status of women in other US team sports, they can at least compete.


 


ps- will reply later re: mourinho's drama (that i don't know anything about)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 02:44 PM   #2196
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 12,396
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

ps- you didn't lose to "LA" you lost to the great BRUCE ARENA formerly of DC UNITED hellz yeah.

LA Galaxy is like the LA Lakers of MLS, they got ALL the championships yo, including several repeats


Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's not popular here, either, but maybe Women's soccer has the best chance of building any solid audience in the US, even if at the moment it's smaller than its male equivalent. Your women's national team is one of the best in the world, if not the best, whereas it's hard to see how the men's game will ever realistically compete with the best of Europe and South America and increasingly Africa, either on a league or national level. Obviously, woman's team sports will always struggle for a big fanbase wherever it is but there's a credibility to women's soccer in the US that the MLS just doesn't have, either at home or abroad. It's maybe just a case of accepting that reality and acknowledging that there's more to be gained long term from your media making stars out of Hope Solo, et al, than it is out of the likes of Donovan and Dempsey who, as good as they are, will never be seen on a par with say a Michael Jordan or a Dan Marino in terms of their iconic status. Nor will any women footballers but relative to the status of women in other US team sports, they can at least compete.


Meh.. Americans following the US Women's team are just bandwagon audience. Further, I think Americans intuitively understand that the Women's US Team dominates international play because women's international play is not as competitive as it could be, whereas the US Men's Team struggles because international men's play is fiercely competitive. Further, if Landon HAD gotten a World Cup like the Women's Team he WOULD be the Michael Jordan of American soccer hands down! The MLS is a relatively infant league for soccer, it is growing exponentially in the past ten years, give it another decade. Look how shitty the NBA was around the time of the ABA-NBA merger and now? NBA is one the crown jewels of American CULTURE let alone sports internationally. MLS will have its day soon enough, but to be sure, I don't really follow any MLS teams either at the moment.. I don't follow Euro leagues either for that matter, just international play.
__________________

 




"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 02:44 PM   #2197
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
 

LLA Galaxy is like the LA Lakers of MLS, they got ALL the championships yo, including several repeats

i haven't watched the MLS in over a decade so i wouldn't know. but i have good memories of watching games at RFK when etcheverry was boss of the midfield and bruce arena ran the team.

then i went to grad school and my life turned to shit-- and so did united's hold on the title-- hA!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 04:57 PM   #2198
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
so demoņo i was googling mourinho and my ADD got on the way. so what the fuck is the problem with him? he frowns?

btw how are the mancini rumOUrs these days? he staying or no? they play dortmund tomorrow!!!!!!!!

oh sweet sweet week in football. am i ever happy to have a flexible schedule.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 07:53 PM   #2199
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15,047
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Real's owners have been unhappy with Mourinho for ages, for the way he's apparently tarnished their club's reputation with his feuding with other managers and his negative football. And now he's fallen out with Ramos and Ozil. But in terms of success he's brilliant. He's like a charismatic mafia don, whole give you what you want but you probably won't like how he gets it.

Mancini's largely benefited from the media leaping on to the Benitez/DiMatteo thing, just as they'll now start going into speculation overdrive about where Mourinho's going next. I'd be surprised if Mancini's still there next season, though. Apart from everything else, even if he retains the Prem title, he's never been good in the CL with any of his clubs and that's the holy grail for all the top owners now. Add to that he's managing players who seem far better at their job than he is at his and I just think the owners are biding their time with him until the right man becomes available. Fortunately for him, there aren't many managers who manage as well as Silva or Aguerro can play. Bad luck for him though that two of them who can (Mourinho and Guardiola) are now on the market at once.

It's the eyes
 
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2012, 02:26 PM   #2200
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 29,411
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
dortmund/man city!!!! oh siiiiiii..............


gonna be insane

i know man city is not gonna qualify but they could still make the europa league...

also:

balotelli vs weidenfeller!!

---

or will you be watching real madrid/ajax??
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
10
60100107108109 110 111112113120160210 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content Š2006 Sonic Youth