Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sound Sculpture/Sound Artist
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2007, 05:16 AM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
I find using terms like this is (sometimes) so much more apt to the subject.
Someone like... errrrrrr.... Wolf Eyes. They're not just taking normal sounds and 'playing' them. They are creating new sounds and totally fucking them into submission, making something totally (I swill say "original," but it's not exactly what I mean) original and... unheard of. It's nothing short of sculpting the sound to the way they want it.

shut up!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 05:26 AM   #22
sarramkrop

It might be ridiculous, but really it only refers to sound and not musicianship, therefore it disqualifies any dislike for it . It's, perhaps, pompous terminology, but that is simply because the term is closely associated with visuals combined with 'noise'. I mean, i can undesratnd someone wouldn't like it and all that, but it remains a field where someone who works with sounds (rather than notes) operates.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 05:46 AM   #23
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
you need to stop reading all those david toop books
Old 04.01.2007, 05:52 AM   #24
sarramkrop

I should go out more, i know.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 05:53 AM   #25
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

they're putting ideas in your head
Old 04.01.2007, 05:59 AM   #26
sarramkrop

I know, perhaps i should even stop listening to resonancefm and get a life, which i haven't.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 06:21 AM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I can't be bothered to wade through most of the posts here, but in response to Messr Poppinfresh esq., I think 'sculpting' is an appropriate adjective for something that is generative/ indeterminate; obviously, it's otherwise arse. Your Ovals and latter Eno, that kind of thing. Also, it's probably appropriate where the sounds used are 'noise' beyond the sense of enharmonics - that is, sonambience and the like.

I second the call to stop reading Toop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 07:40 AM   #28
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I went to an Oval installation about 12 years ago, and it was rather ineffective. There was a good sound installation thing at London's Hayward Gallery in 2000 which was much better. It's difficult to define what sound sculpting is, without going down a potential tedious and academically dry route.
Old 04.01.2007, 07:57 AM   #29
sarramkrop

That was the DAVID TOOP curated SOUND BOOM exhibition. I'll leave you to it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2007, 08:58 AM   #30
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
(Gets out my Sound Boom book/CD pack). So it was. Funnily enough, I enjoyed Toop's "Ocean Of Sound" book. I'm not a huge fan of his music per se, but certainly respect his opinions.
Old 04.02.2007, 10:25 PM   #31
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
"Sound Art" that sounds great:

More sound art that sounds great:

Maryanne Amacher- Sound Characters [making the third ear]

Quote:
"Living Sound, Patent Pending" MUSIC FOR SOUND-JOINED ROOMS" Series 1980. (Excerpt) Dual channel remastered edit of feature length multichannel installation/ performance.

“I produced my first large scale multichannel installation/performance in the MUSIC FOR SOUND-JOINED ROOMS Series, Living Sound, Patent Pending (Traveling Musicians Being Prepared) for the Walker Arts Center, during the New Music America Festival, Minneapolis-St. Paul (June 7-14 1980). The music and visual sets were staged architecturally, throughout the nearly empty Victorian house of the conductor Dennis Russell Davies and filmaker, Molly Davies. The visual elements gave clues to a story discovered in the different rooms, and in the outside garden. The house, on a hill in St. Paul with its panoramic view of Minneapolis, was lit by tall quartz spots, as if a movie set. The time: midnight. Davies' music room, where two grand pianos had been, was now an "emergent music laboratory," where 21 petri dishes with "something" growing in them (the musicians and instruments of the future) were placed beside metal instrument cases marked Fragile: "traveling musicians being prepared" and "the molecular orchestra"; TV story boards refering to "symbiotic aids," biochemical companions tailored to enhance neurophonic recognition; "making new scores." DNA photos and biochemical diagrams were placed on music stands. Meanwhile, the entire house was full of sound, circulating throughout the rooms, out the doors and windows, down the hill, past sedate Victorian mansions. I was thrilled to discover that the law to patent life forms (the Diamond V. Chakrabarty decision) followed a few days later. As the possibilities of biocomputers and emerging media approach, perhaps this work was not as much fantasy as it may have seemed at the time.”

Day Trip Maryanne with Thurston

Quote:
day trip maryanne captures the collaboration between legendary sound sculptor Maryanne Amacher and experimental guitarist Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth. The 30 minute long film grew out of a collaborative film/video project between Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore and Andrew Kesin exploring the work of several important women in experimental music. That project tentatively entitled "Other Women" sought to bring the work of these accomplished and often overlooked women to the surface through a combination of live footage and intimate interviews. While a release date for the full-length documentary remains elusive, footage collected for "Other Women" will be on display at the HER NOISE exhibition held by Anne Hilde Neset and Lina Lina Dzuverovic-Russell of The Wire and Electra productions.

As it stands now, there are no plans to publicly release daytrip maryanne. It was shown in some festivals in 2005 and further screenings will be considered on a case by case basis. I would like to thank Maryanne for sharing with us on that fall day. Her unfailing commitment to sonic exploration is truly inspiring. - Andrew Kesin, February 2005

Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2007, 11:35 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunbury
More sound art that sounds great:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunbury

Maryanne Amacher- Sound Characters [making the third ear]

i have that cd and i love it but i see noumenal's point, and i haven't had the time to compose a good argument lately.

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2007, 06:21 AM   #33
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

yeah, why isn't she called a musician like everyone else?

FWIW, i played that amacher record to porkmarras and he thought it was rubbish
Old 04.03.2007, 06:31 AM   #34
sarramkrop

So much so that i can't even remember what it sounds like.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2007, 06:34 AM   #35
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

when i put it on i thought it would be a crowd pleaser!
Old 04.03.2007, 06:38 AM   #36
SubSonicPumpAction
little trouble girl

SubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Anyone who creates music is sculpting sound the way they want it. I just find that in cases where it seems appropriate to call someone a sound "sculptor" or "artist," their music seems to be missing something essential and defining about music. An interconnectedness in time is missing--it just comes off as juxtaposed static chunks.

It depends on the specific artist yr speaking of. If you look at Alvin Lucier for instance he uses space and resonance to create sounds. But someone like merzbow doesn't sculpt the sound as much as he manipulates it with rhythm.
SubSonicPumpAction is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2007, 06:44 AM   #37
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
when i put it on i thought it would be a crowd pleaser!
Oh, i'm sorry. Was is it that bad or that good?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2007, 06:45 AM   #38
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

i think it's amazing. i guess try downloading it or something
Old 04.03.2007, 06:49 AM   #39
sarramkrop

Some records require repeated listenings, don't they? For what i recall, you played it in the middle of a chat, so my first reaction might have been of disliking it. But that is not to say that the actual record is good or bad. How do you upload an entire album on Badongo? I have one that is entirely made on a typewriter. Now, that's really atrocious.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2007, 05:10 PM   #40
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. PoppinFresh
What about sound installations - architectural spaces and reproduced sound?
(This is noumenal).

Sound Installation artists:

Momus

www.imomus.com

Quote:
his ongoing interest in the relationship between narratives, sound, and space (both mental and physical) has carried over into a series of videos and gallery-based performances in which he reconfigures storytelling traditions.

-------------------------------------

I8U

www.i8u.com

Quote:
France Jobin aka i8u (b. 1958) is a sound / installation / web artist residing in Montreal, Canada. i8u’s audio art can be qualified as "sound-sculpture". It reveals powerful, opaque and complex sound environments where analog and digital meet. Her installation/web art can be said to follow a parallel path, incorporating both musical and visual elements.

I8u has created solo recordings for (bake/staalplaat Amsterdam) (piehead Toronto) (oral Montreal) as well as collaborative works with Martin Tétreault, David Kristian and Tomas Phillips. She has been included in compilations on ATAK (Japan), bremsstrahlung (USA) and Mutek (Canada).

Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth