Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NEGATIVELAND - We Are Still Looping Along
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 11.26.2017, 01:55 AM   #1
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo
 
Bytor Peltor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlen, Texas
Posts: 7,006
Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
I realize my “search” skills are not the best......is it possible SYG doesn’t have a Negativeland thread?

Mark Hosler appeared on, Mid-Valley Mutations yesterday. The interview was done in the classic chopped & blended Negativeland style......well worth the listen!

Mark mentioned having all the deceased members ashes which reminded me......what did I do with Don Joyce’s ashes? Believe I have the baggie in a bank bag......in my flood damaged home. By the way, Mark keeps about a fist fool of Don’s ashes in a Frappuccino bottle.

Dale Embry Was Formerly A Homosexual Squirrel
__________________


אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator
 
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo
 
Bytor Peltor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlen, Texas
Posts: 7,006
Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Negativland November was extended to Friday, December 1st, when Wobbly aka Jon Leidecker appeared on Mid-Valley Mutations for a interview.

Jon’s new album / project: Moebius Story Leidecker was released in October 2017.
__________________


אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator
 
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,669
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Watched a fascinating documentary about them a few years ago, and I swore I made a thread after I saw it, but maybe not.

SYG definitely needs a Negativeland thread.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2017, 01:43 AM   #4
greenlight
invito al cielo
 
greenlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,578
greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for the link. I will check it out. I have heard so much about Negativeland, but I have never checked them out. its about the time. I feel I am missing something here.
__________________







greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,669
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
thanks for the link. I will check it out. I have heard so much about Negativeland, but I have never checked them out. its about the time. I feel I am missing something here.

Oh man. Get ready for a trip. Unique presence in music, for sure. The truest example of a mutimedia band I can think of.

Check out “A Big 10-8 Place.” Good place to start.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2017, 01:34 AM   #6
greenlight
invito al cielo
 
greenlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,578
greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Oh man. Get ready for a trip. Unique presence in music, for sure. The truest example of a mutimedia band I can think of.

Check out “A Big 10-8 Place.” Good place to start.

thanks for a suggestion. I will def. check them out this wknd. so is it like sample/loops/collage of cut up sounds stuff?
__________________







greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2017, 05:17 AM   #7
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo
 
Bytor Peltor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlen, Texas
Posts: 7,006
Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
thanks for a suggestion. I will def. check them out this wknd. so is it like sample/loops/collage of cut up sounds stuff?

While the enterviews above cover a good deal of the “original” Negativeland, Wobbly made it clear that when he joined the group, Don Joyce decided that Negativeland would no longer use old source sounds......they would now only use newly acquired material.

While I appreciate the approach Negativland uses to capture, sample and record source material, much of their stuff is hit and miss with me. The more whimsical and gimmicky looney tune sounds is fine in short burst……like on a mixtape, but I’m just not disciplined enough to listen to that for 40-minutes to an hour.

Deathsentences of the Polished and Structurally Weak, released in 2002, is one of their most important releases. Mostly soundscapes to Accompany the booklet that is included with it.

Free, released in 1993, was the bands first effort to record a CD......not an album with a Side A and Side B. The opening track, Freedom’s Waiting, features Steve Fisk, who produced: Nirvana, Screaming Trees and Soundgarden.

Lastly, Dispepsi and Escape From Noise are worth your attention when time allows.
__________________


אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator
 
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,669
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
thanks for a suggestion. I will def. check them out this wknd. so is it like sample/loops/collage of cut up sounds stuff?

Some sampling but not all depending on the era of the band. New noise and sound generation replaced crate-digging (for lack of a better term) at some point, though I’m not sure precisely when.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2017, 01:44 AM   #9
greenlight
invito al cielo
 
greenlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,578
greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
While the enterviews above cover a good deal of the “original” Negativeland, Wobbly made it clear that when he joined the group, Don Joyce decided that Negativeland would no longer use old source sounds......they would now only use newly acquired material.

While I appreciate the approach Negativland uses to capture, sample and record source material, much of their stuff is hit and miss with me. The more whimsical and gimmicky looney tune sounds is fine in short burst……like on a mixtape, but I’m just not disciplined enough to listen to that for 40-minutes to an hour.

Deathsentences of the Polished and Structurally Weak, released in 2002, is one of their most important releases. Mostly soundscapes to Accompany the booklet that is included with it.

Free, released in 1993, was the bands first effort to record a CD......not an album with a Side A and Side B. The opening track, Freedom’s Waiting, features Steve Fisk, who produced: Nirvana, Screaming Trees and Soundgarden.

Lastly, Dispepsi and Escape From Noise are worth your attention when time allows.

thanks for da suggestions. will definitely check those mentioned.
__________________







greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|


Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth