Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Disconnection Notice (not the SY song)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.29.2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Watching the World Series, I’ve seen lots of adds for YouTubeTV. I’m curious if any of the SYG peeps are using YouTubeTV and if so, is it worth $35 per month?

Also, are many of you disconnecting from: cable, direct, dish and opting for some other method? A guy I work with pays $100 a year for Amazon TV and loves it.

Hulu, Roku......what’s working for you?

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2017, 12:22 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i pay $100 a year for amazon *prime* which gives me 2-day shipping on all purchases

since i live in the sticks i depend on amazon for things as diverse as edible rarities (salts, sweeteners, supplements), car parts (eg, 1/2 price vs. o’reillys on moog front-end parts), tools and electronics, etc.

having 2-day “free” (i.e. included in price) shipping on any order is important for my supply chain + inventory control. otherwise amazon free shipping takes 4-5 days and you need a minimum size order then you have to wait for things to add up then you’re out of what you needed and then it takes long to arrive. cumbersome. so prime is worth it for me. the tv is just frosting.

so, yeah, i get free tv from amazon and i’m binge-watching OZ on it at the moment. they have movies too. and if you need to rent something extra (i do every now and then, for things not available anywhere else) it comes via the same interface.

beyond the free tv and movie offerings you can subscribe separately to “channels” that bring on premium tv (eg showtime) or seasonal selections.

on top of that it comes with a bunch of other user benefits, some of which i never use: photo storage... free books... i forget what else. oh yeah, a curated music app (it has a wide but limited selection—you pay more if you want “unlimited’). the app will also play for you anything you ever bought from amazon as CD or mp3 etc.

if you wanna try it out without committing for a year it’s something like $10 monthly— cheaper than commercial free hulu i think and cheaper than a 2-screen netflix.

oh, the local libray has a ton of dvds including new stuff they buy as it comes out. so i go there once a week to resupply.

as for hardware: i used to have a roku back in ancient times but no more (since i have bad internet and streaming doesn’t work here.) also had the tv/blu-ray player apps. so now we just take the phone to “town”, offline stuff there and hook it up to the tv at home with an hdmi adapter.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2017, 12:34 PM   #3
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I pay 35$/month for Comcrap internet, used to have DSL for free, but the company didn't maintain its equipment and the outages got too often. I have antenna and dvr for over the air and also get free streaming and downloads from 6 different sites for movies and tv I would otherwise have to pay cable or streaming services for.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2017, 12:39 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I pay 35$/month for Comcrap internet,
what, no “unbundled fee”???
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2017, 10:52 PM   #5
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't even tried Amazon yet....wow. Damn. I have Prime, so now I'm gonna use that. I don't really watch TV anyway, but sometimes I need something to chill out to. Netflix got old real quick. I got a new fancy TV and it's easy to put on whatever from the Internet on the screen so we just find whatever and put it on the tube(screen)...so we've mainly been using it for that, but my girlfriend is using her friend's Hulu account....so yeah...we're trying out that too at the moment.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

as for hardware: i used to have a roku back in ancient times but no more (since i have bad internet and streaming doesn’t work here.) also had the tv/blu-ray player apps. so now we just take the phone to “town”, offline stuff there and hook it up to the tv at home with an hdmi adapter.

This has my attention. Guess the same process would work if you used an iPad instead of your phone?

In the YouTubeTV commercials, it appears you can save YouTube content within the YouTube app to watch at anytime while offline? This would be great for me at work.

I didn’t realize AmazonTV was just a benefit of Amazon Prime. I must be the only person without a Amazon Account.

Is anyone rolling with just a Digital Antenna? Do you have a DVR connected to it?

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth