Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 03.01.2017, 10:59 PM   #261
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
So AmbrosiaForHeads is conducting a bracketed tournament style completion to determine the G.O.A.T. hip-hop producer of all time.

Check it! It's cool!
http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2017/02/...roducers-goat/

Last I saw was the top 8. They are as follows:

A Tribe Called Quest
DJ Quik
DJ Premier
Dr. Dre
J. Dilla
Kanye West
Pete Rock
RZA


This is one instance where I really could not bring myself to pick Kanye. Is he probably my favorite? Yeah. But DILLA is the greatest. Kanye wouldn't have his sound without Dilla. Lots of rap acts wouldn't have found their best sound without Dilla.

UPDATE: Here's the final four

DJ Premier
Dr. Dre
J Dilla
Pete Rock
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 06:50 AM   #262
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah it's pretty good. Way better than everything else he's churned out lately. Very emotional, if not necessarily emotionally resonant... still, if adds adds a layer or two.

I haven't heard it all the way through yet, but the fact that I'm interested in hearing it all the way through really says something. Song with Rihanna is good.

Rob, what are your thoughts?
"Fresh Air" and "Incredible" are some of my favorite songs so far.

None of the songs are better than the best songs on Monster though ("Codeine Crazy", "Throw Away", "My Savages" and "Hardly").
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 08:34 AM   #263
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
So AmbrosiaForHeads is conducting a bracketed tournament style completion to determine the G.O.A.T. hip-hop producer of all time.

Check it! It's cool!
http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2017/02/...roducers-goat/

Last I saw was the top 8. They are as follows:

A Tribe Called Quest
DJ Quik
DJ Premier
Dr. Dre
J. Dilla
Kanye West
Pete Rock
RZA


This is one instance where I really could not bring myself to pick Kanye. Is he probably my favorite? Yeah. But DILLA is the greatest. Kanye wouldn't have his sound without Dilla. Lots of rap acts wouldn't have found their best sound without Dilla.

UPDATE: Here's the final four

DJ Premier
Dr. Dre
J Dilla
Pete Rock
That list is spot on. But Dr. Dre is overrated. Where is Madlib?
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 08:35 AM   #264
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
"KENDRICK LAMAR REVEALS INFLUENCE BEHIND NEW ALBUM"

http://www.rap-up.com/2017/03/01/ken...ind-new-album/
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 10:49 AM   #265
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
That list is spot on. But Dr. Dre is overrated. Where is Madlib?

My thoughts exactly. There are a few others I was thinking of too. Shadow? Eh? Anyway, Dre is way overrated. Dilla is the obvious choice, isn't he?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 10:52 AM   #266
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
My thoughts exactly. There are a few others I was thinking of too. Shadow? Eh? Anyway, Dre is way overrated. Dilla is the obvious choice, isn't he?
Yeah. And personally I'd have Organized Noize ahead of DJ Quik too.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 10:53 AM   #267
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Hold on, Just Blaze and Pharrell/Neptunes as well.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 10:54 AM   #268
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Timbaland had some amazing production in his prime but he's more of a pop/R&B producer.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 10:59 AM   #269
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
"KENDRICK LAMAR REVEALS INFLUENCE BEHIND NEW ALBUM"

http://www.rap-up.com/2017/03/01/ken...ind-new-album/

Yeah, I read. God and stuff.

Not really something to get excited about yet, in my opinion. He probably won't drop his proper TPAB follow-up until 2018.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:05 AM   #270
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Hold on, Just Blaze and Pharrell/Neptunes as well.

Wait, are we talking for the final four? Because I agree that they're both great producers, but Kanye puts 'em both to shame.

For top four, if not Kanye, then I'd be happy with the list as is win Madlib instead of Dre. I actually think Kanye is more versatile than Madlib, and I think he also is influenced by Dilla pretty obviously without sounding uncomfortably like him at times, like Madlib does. But I'm a Kanye dude... any list about hip hop could have him at the top and I wouldn't complain.

But with this one, IT'S FUCKING DILLA, Y'all! It's sooo fucking Dilla.

Watch... Dre will probably win. Which will be a goddamn shame. Dre certainly belongs on the list somewhere. Not on a hip-hop in general list, and certainly not on an emcee list, but as a producer he's up there. But he's not as good as people make him out to be, and his production output has been scant and sporadic compared to everyone else on the list. Pete Rock? Fuck man, what hasn't that guy done? He's sill tearing it up, and it's been decades!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:07 AM   #271
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Wait wait... let's think this through.

Is Madlib really a better producer than Rza? I know Rza has disappointed us all in the past, but his style was just as influential on Kanye's as Dilla's was. Looking at everything he produced during his golden period, he's like the Phil Specter of hip-hop. ALL those og Wu and Wu solo albums? He practically made his own sub genre.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:19 AM   #272
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, are we talking for the final four? Because I agree that they're both great producers, but Kanye puts 'em both to shame.

For top four, if not Kanye, then I'd be happy with the list as is win Madlib instead of Dre. I actually think Kanye is more versatile than Madlib, and I think he also is influenced by Dilla pretty obviously without sounding uncomfortably like him at times, like Madlib does. But I'm a Kanye dude... any list about hip hop could have him at the top and I wouldn't complain.

But with this one, IT'S FUCKING DILLA, Y'all! It's sooo fucking Dilla.

Watch... Dre will probably win. Which will be a goddamn shame. Dre certainly belongs on the list somewhere. Not on a hip-hop in general list, and certainly not on an emcee list, but as a producer he's up there. But he's not as good as people make him out to be, and his production output has been scant and sporadic compared to everyone else on the list. Pete Rock? Fuck man, what hasn't that guy done? He's sill tearing it up, and it's been decades!
Oh no, I just meant that I prefer them over Dr. Dre and DJ Quik.

Dilla IS the greatest for me.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:24 AM   #273
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, I think Timbaland qualifies, for sure. Yeah, he may produce a lot of pop and R&B, but so has Kanye, and so has Dilla!!! Also, it's worth mentioning that Timbaland helped bridge the gap between rap and R&B by bringing a hard, weird, uncompromising aesthetic to his R&B productions in the '90s.

Look at "Supa Dupa Fly" ... Missy may be more of a borderline R&B/pop artist than a straight rapper, but that song was fucking insane, and definitely more rap than R&B. It wouldn't have been shit without Timba.

And listening to "Are You That Somebody?" even today is a revelation. I didn't even know I liked R&B (beyond Badu and Fugees and shit) when I heard that. The production is totally whacked and fucking weird, and it goes hard as hell, but it came out in 1998... the year of Britney Spears! When R&B was supposed to mean "lightweight bullshit." It certainly was not lightweight bullshit. It's a fucking masterpiece.

Timba needs to be on the list. Maybe not in the top right or four, but certainly SOMEWHERE.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:29 AM   #274
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait wait... let's think this through.

Is Madlib really a better producer than Rza? I know Rza has disappointed us all in the past, but his style was just as influential on Kanye's as Dilla's was. Looking at everything he produced during his golden period, he's like the Phil Specter of hip-hop. ALL those og Wu and Wu solo albums? He practically made his own sub genre.
I think the most outstanding thing about RZA's production is that his sound cannot be emulated. No other producer managed to do what he does.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:30 AM   #275
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also, I think Timbaland qualifies, for sure. Yeah, he may produce a lot of pop and R&B, but so has Kanye, and so has Dilla!!! Also, it's worth mentioning that Timbaland helped bridge the gap between rap and R&B by bringing a hard, weird, uncompromising aesthetic to his R&B productions in the '90s.

Look at "Supa Dupa Fly" ... Missy may be more of a borderline R&B/pop artist than a straight rapper, but that song was fucking insane, and definitely more rap than R&B. It wouldn't have been shit without Timba.

And listening to "Are You That Somebody?" even today is a revelation. I didn't even know I liked R&B (beyond Badu and Fugees and shit) when I heard that. The production is totally whacked and fucking weird, and it goes hard as hell, but it came out in 1998... the year of Britney Spears! When R&B was supposed to mean "lightweight bullshit." It certainly was not lightweight bullshit. It's a fucking masterpiece.

Timba needs to be on the list. Maybe not in the top right or four, but certainly SOMEWHERE.
Yeah he also did "Big Pimpin".

His peak was with Aaliyah/Missy and then he found JT/Nelly Furtado in the 2000's and made more classics with them.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:33 AM   #276
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J3vgcE5i2o

Still brilliant and fresh to this day. Those synths come in like a fucking lightsaber.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:44 AM   #277
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Oh no, I just meant that I prefer them over Dr. Dre and DJ Quik.

Dilla IS the greatest for me.


Right. Sure. I probably do too if I had to pick. I do love Quik, but I tend to prefer soul-inflected or totally whacked out production over that boom-boom-pat boom-boom-pat West Coast stuff that's more just beat programming (at least in Dre's case) than actual production.

But that leads me to another question: What about No ID? Eh? No ID has had such a massive influence on hip-hop, even though it's been mostly behind the scenes and unheralded. I mean, he's Kanye's mentor. He worked on Resurrection, TPAB, Blueprint 3, and more and more. Isn't he often called the "king of Chicago hip-hop?" Seems like he belongs.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 11:47 AM   #278
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,532
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
My personal top four would probably be:

RZA
Pete Rock
Kanye West
J Dilla (winner)

Unless I'm forgetting someone or something, those are the producers that either directly made or shaped my what I love about hip-hop.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 06:05 PM   #279
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
http://pitchfork.com/news/68373-lord...bum-melodrama/
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2017, 06:07 PM   #280
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,118
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I read. God and stuff.

Not really something to get excited about yet, in my opinion. He probably won't drop his proper TPAB follow-up until 2018.
Yeah.. I was hoping for more information about, y'know, the actual music. But it's good to know that he's working on an album.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
4
111213 14 15161724 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth