Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.28.2016, 12:07 PM   #161
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeah my problem is more that these singles end up sort of forgotten in a sense. I would have loved for Kanye to release all those GOOD Friday tracks as a compilation album back then. Y'know? That sort of thing. I don't mind stray singles if they end up eventually compiled.
Old 01.28.2016, 12:14 PM   #162
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Beatles did this with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields..... then threw them into Magical Mystery Tour
Old 01.28.2016, 01:02 PM   #163
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Beatles did this with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields..... then threw them into Magical Mystery Tour

All of the following songs (and more) were originally released either as standalone singles, b-sides, or singles that were later attached to an album in just the UK, just the US, or as completely different songs.

From Me To You
Thank You Girl
She Loves You
She's A Woman
Love Me Do
This Boy
I'll Get You
I Call Your Name
I Want To Hold Your Hand
The Inner Light
The Ballad Of John And Yoko
Old Brown Shoe
Hey Jude
Lady Madonna
Revolution
Get Back
Day Tripper
We Can Work It Out
Paperback Writer
I Feel Fine
Yes It Is
I'm Down
Rain
Don't Let Me Down

Also "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" - both technically non-album tracks that were reworked for one of the Anthologies. "Real Love" first appeared on the Imagine soundtrack. So, also not technically an album.

It gets pretty confusing with the different line-ups for the UK and US versions of the albums, and with the UK albums that just never appeared in the US, or did so under a different name with a different track list.

I mean, just check Wikipedia.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2016, 01:38 PM   #164
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I always hated trying to make sense of their discography before the US and UK albums were the same.
Old 01.28.2016, 05:09 PM   #165
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I always hated trying to make sense of their discography before the US and UK albums were the same.

Yeah, I had some serious difficulty with it when they started selling the UK versions here. I grew up listening to my dad's LP's from the '60s. There really is no simple way to sum up how complicated things got over the years with Capitol VS. Parlaphone and UA. But this quote from Ultimate Hard Rock's Beatles UK/US album guide at least shows how it started:

By the time the Beatles reached America, their record company, Parlophone/EMI, had already released two albums and a handful of singles in their native England...
U.S. albums rarely included more than 12 songs (possibly out of fear of fidelity loss due to “groove-cramming”), and all of the U.K. albums contained 14 tracks. Then there was the matter of the non-LP singles, a practice common in the U.K. but not in the U.S. Capitol needed a place to put hits like ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ and ‘She Loves You.’ In those first few years, the Beatles operated under a breakneck schedule of a new single every three months and a new LP every six months...
Complicating matters even more was the issue of ‘Introducing . . . the Beatles,’ a near-repackaging of their U.K. debut, ‘Please Please Me,’ which was licensed to Vee-Jay Records when Capitol passed on it in the summer of 1963. As part of a lawsuit settlement, the rights to those songs were transferred to Capitol in October 1964 – a year and a half after they were released overseas.

When the Beatles first issued their entire catalog on CD in 1987, they decided to streamline their records once and for all, and only the original U.K. albums were released (except for ‘Magical Mystery Tour'; see below for explanation). While this may have confused American fans who couldn’t get ‘Beatles VI’ or bought ‘Rubber Soul’ expecting to hear it begin with ‘I’ve Just Seen a Face’ only to get ‘Drive My Car’ instead, it ended their messy catalog headache for good.

Until 2004 that is, when Capitol put out a box of the group’s first four U.S. records, replicating track listings and artwork, and followed it up two years later with the next four albums. And now there’s ‘The U.S. Albums,’ which compiles Capitol’s 12 LPs (including the first CD appearance of ‘The Beatles Story,’ a two-record cash-grab from 1964 made up of interviews and press conferences) and the soundtrack to ‘A Hard Day’s Night,’ which originally came out on United Artists. We’ve compiled this guide to the Beatles’ U.S. albums, showing how their label assembled them from what was available.

*headache*
Old 01.28.2016, 05:19 PM   #166
noisereductions
invito al cielo

ugh. That. Yeah. Such a horrible mess.
Old 01.28.2016, 06:29 PM   #167
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
http://pitchfork.com/news/63216-mart...ah-diss-video/

This is so stupid.. and it's all RZA's fault. That's what happens when you sell out and do dumb shit for money.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2016, 12:28 AM   #168
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah it's a stupid mess.
Old 01.29.2016, 12:31 AM   #169
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh my fucking God.

I never thought I'd say this, but FUCK RZA.

He was like a holy man to me for years and years and years, and he was behind the boards and the mic on four of the best hip-hop albums ever made. The influence of the Wu-Tang Clan on me has been tremendous, and I've been a fan since the beginning. But... Jesus Christ man... FUCK. RZA.

Side note: Ghost is the only part of the Clan that is still relevant in modern hip-hop. I still have nothing but love for Meth, Deck, GZA and Raekwon (who used to be the Clan's all-star talent, but now seems to be satisfied with releasing mediocre material).

Let's face it, there is no Wu-Tang Clan anymore. There's just Ghostface. He's the only one still trying. And he continues to try, despite the occasional flop.

Shkreli is going to end up in prison. We're never going to hear the album. Rza's sold his soul and A Better Tommorrow was like the Wu-Tang equivalent of Squeeze. (Much better than Squeeze, but you take my meaning.)

I can't believe that just four years ago I was actually stressing about the fact that I was starting to prefer Kanye to the Clan.

In the (adapted) immortal words of John Lennon:
"I don't believe in [Wu-Tang]
I just believe, in me... [Ghostface] and me
The dream is over."
Old 01.29.2016, 07:50 AM   #170
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Cole just dropped a live version of his last album and it's great, way better than the original: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fo...m/id1078337231
Old 01.29.2016, 10:05 AM   #171
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Cole just dropped a live version of his last album and it's great, way better than the original: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fo...m/id1078337231

woah nice. I liked that album a lot. The live one is on Spotify. Will check it out.
Old 01.29.2016, 10:43 AM   #172
louder
invito al cielo

"RZA Of Wu-Tang Clan Says Black People Should STOP SCARING COPS and DRESS PROPERLY!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsFmlJ0N6H8

Yeah, fuck RZA.
Old 01.29.2016, 11:08 AM   #173
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
so you guys do not like Rich Homie Quan?

I like the mumbles....
Old 01.29.2016, 11:53 AM   #174
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
so you guys do not like Rich Homie Quan?

I like the mumbles....

Depends... I liked some of the early projects he did with Young Thug, like Tha Tour pt.1, and he did a tape with Gucci that was alright, but I haven't heard anything recently that captured or held my interest.

Really, I have no freaking idea what he's up to these days, so I have no idea whether or not I like him now. Probably not. I'm disliking a lot of shit right now.
Old 01.29.2016, 11:57 AM   #175
louder
invito al cielo

Tha Tour Pt. 1 was great. Kinda lost interest in both afterwards.
Old 01.29.2016, 11:59 AM   #176
louder
invito al cielo

Thug drops a hot song every now and then, but his lack of quality control is the reason I can't be bothered to keep up anymore.
Old 01.29.2016, 12:01 PM   #177
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
woah nice. I liked that album a lot. The live one is on Spotify. Will check it out.
Yeah, Cole is a great performer.. very passionate, and he adds energy to each song which I felt was missing on some of the original record.
Old 01.29.2016, 12:08 PM   #178
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Thug drops a hot song every now and then, but his lack of quality control is the reason I can't be bothered to keep up anymore.

Yeah. I was super stoked about his studio debut (you remember that? When we were excited about that wank?) but the first sign of trouble was when he wanted to take a shit on Wayne by calling it The Carter 6. I was like, what the fuck? There's no rapper Thug is more indebted to than Wayne at his schizophrenic, scatological peak! Then he calls it "Barter 6" (which means... nothing) and pisses out rainbows on the cover. He got so much attention for that stunt, that nobody noticed how dismally terrible the album was!

Now Pitchfork sucks on his dick so hard it's insufferable. Acting like he's the Salvador Dali of hip-hop. He's just another one of Birdman's bitches, and he's getting no love from me.
Old 01.29.2016, 12:13 PM   #179
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Young Thug I have enjoyed in small doses as a guest on other's tracks, but his own tracks are dull

I can't get down in the DM out my head though.... (diff guy, I know)

facetime me that pussy, snapchat me that pussy, if it's cool....

I love da 'Gram I love da 'Gram, I'm addicted to it I know I am....
Old 01.29.2016, 12:14 PM   #180
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what a world to live in, If I was 19 years old today? sheeeiiittt.......
59109 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth