Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 05.28.2016, 10:16 AM   #2081
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
An amazing celebration of life and music. I love it.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

You should check out the Ro album too, by the way.. everyone here should. I'll keep insisting on it.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2016, 11:45 AM   #2082
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Gucci Mane is out of jail again! Can't wait for his new material to surface.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2016, 12:23 PM   #2083
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wait, did I hear SFAD say that he likes the fact that Dead Prez is lame and boring?

You... think the music you like is lame and boring? wha- ... huh?

This conversation is starting to resemble a frayed ball of string that's been beaten to shit by a house cat.
To kids today it is. I don't understand how you don't understand this or how you keep making ot all out to be more than it is. I think you might be taking yourbirthday a bit too strong. Remember. We're not old we're grown and indeed our music is grown folks music now.
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2016, 01:21 PM   #2084
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
To kids today it is. I don't understand how you don't understand this or how you keep making ot all out to be more than it is. I think you might be taking yourbirthday a bit too strong. Remember. We're not old we're grown and indeed our music is grown folks music now.

Yeah, you're right about that.

I'm really not getting huffy about this. I just think it's a bit of a mind-fuck.

I also think that there's been something of a sea change in pop culture between our parents' generation, ours, and this one.
Like, my father thought Sonic Youh was noisey offensive trash. Not just Sonic Youth, but also the poppier Sebadoh, Dino and Pavement. He wouldn't be able to sit through one uninterrupted minute of Aphex Twin or Unwound.

It's because it's so much more bizarre and violent than anything he grew up with. But my dad wasn't a counterculture kid. Also, my dad grew up pre-punk. We grew up in the final third of punk's life. We're all obviously a bit left of center.
But because of the death of punk, "kids today" actually seem to be listening to music that is fat more tame and basic than what we grew up with.

Our "dad rock" is objectively more offensive and weird than anything that's going on now, even in the counterculture.

I'm really not flat out disagreeing with you. I just think the difference between modern music and "our" music is different than the difference between our music and our parents' music. For the first time, kids are listening to lamer, safer shit than their parents. That's my opinion anyway. But again, we're comparing a bunch of '80s and '90s punk kids to the 2010's youth at large. So it's a little slanted.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down here, or do I still sound like I'm just in denial? Seriously. I do understand what you're saying and I get it, but I'm trying to put what's in my tired old mind into words, and that's tough for a geriatric fuck like me
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2016, 09:25 PM   #2085
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, you're right about that.

I'm really not getting huffy about this. I just think it's a bit of a mind-fuck.

I also think that there's been something of a sea change in pop culture between our parents' generation, ours, and this one.
Like, my father thought Sonic Youh was noisey offensive trash. Not just Sonic Youth, but also the poppier Sebadoh, Dino and Pavement. He wouldn't be able to sit through one uninterrupted minute of Aphex Twin or Unwound.

It's because it's so much more bizarre and violent than anything he grew up with. But my dad wasn't a counterculture kid. Also, my dad grew up pre-punk. We grew up in the final third of punk's life. We're all obviously a bit left of center.
But because of the death of punk, "kids today" actually seem to be listening to music that is fat more tame and basic than what we grew up with.

Our "dad rock" is objectively more offensive and weird than anything that's going on now, even in the counterculture.

I'm really not flat out disagreeing with you. I just think the difference between modern music and "our" music is different than the difference between our music and our parents' music. For the first time, kids are listening to lamer, safer shit than their parents. That's my opinion anyway. But again, we're comparing a bunch of '80s and '90s punk kids to the 2010's youth at large. So it's a little slanted.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down here, or do I still sound like I'm just in denial? Seriously. I do understand what you're saying and I get it, but I'm trying to put what's in my tired old mind into words, and that's tough for a geriatric fuck like me
See now you're starting to get it
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2016, 10:45 AM   #2086
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
See now you're starting to get it


So I'm being clear enough? I had a splitting migraine when I wrote that post, and was reeling from a 65 hour work week, so I was not sure it would make sense.

Do you agree though? Like, when my dad heard "my music" he gave that classic old guy response of, "This isn't music, it's noise!" Just like his parents — bred on Sinatra and the Rat Pack — said of those wild and crazy long haired Beatles.

The few times I've played something for someone significantly younger than myself, it was almost like I was talking to my father circa 1992. I remember playing Sister for a co-worker just out of college in 2011... he was a Bruno Mars fan, and occasionally got crazy by listening to Fun. or Arcade Fire post-Funeral. He said something along the lines of, "you don't really listen this do you? You're messing with me." I was kind of appalled, but I also thought it was fucking hilarious. He was 22. Shouldn't he have been saying how pansy assed it was? Shouldn't he have been obsessed with some crazy glitched out techno that made "Come to Daddy" sound like "Hello Mother, Hello Father"?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2016, 11:59 AM   #2087
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 15,617
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Again now you're starting to get it. Took you long enough because your were so busy arguing qith yourself and expanding the wikipedia pages about all your favorite bands missing the point entirely. Sometimes you need to just think less
__________________
Today Rap music is the Lakers
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2016, 07:27 PM   #2088
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Hey louder, I listened to that Ro James alb. today on Apple Music. You're right, it has some nice moments. I dig the Prince and D'angelo influences, but those elements kinda just make me want to listen to Prince and D'angelo.

But it's got promise. I will definitely be revisiting it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2016, 07:34 PM   #2089
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Flume's (super) long-awaited second album, Skin, just dropped on Friday, with guest appearances from Vince Staples and Vic Mensa (and Beck, just to name a few). I don't know if this means anything to you guys, but for me it's a big deal. I came into 2016 with two albums on the brain: whatever Ye was going to drop, and Skin.

Now that it's out, I feel like pretty much everything that I was looking forward to in terms of music has happened, and we're only halfway through the year. Skin is the kind of EDM album that keeps me listening to EDM. Like HudMo's Lantern, it brings out the absolute fucking best in big tent electronica. Without albums like these, I feel like I'd give up on mainstream techno completely, and dive into the amorphous sound collages of Autechre and the panicked footwork of Jlin and RP Boo full time.

Skin is already own of my favorite albums of the year, behind Kaytranada, but right up there with Pantha Du Prince's the Triad, and probably ahead of Elseq 1-5 just because of its immediate listenability. I really feel like electronic music is finally starting to blossom in 2016. Which is fucking awesome.

Go listen to Flume - Skin.
Louder, I think you in particular will find a lot to like about it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2016, 07:42 PM   #2090
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Gucci Mane is out of jail again! Can't wait for his new material to surface.

Have you heard "First Day Out of the Feds"? It's slathered in Mike WILL (which can be good or really annoying), but the chorus and main sample is just sinister as hell. I like it, even though it's a really short track. It has balls and it shows promise, and it's got me interested in what's coming up next.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2016, 04:16 AM   #2091
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Have you heard "First Day Out of the Feds"? It's slathered in Mike WILL (which can be good or really annoying), but the chorus and main sample is just sinister as hell. I like it, even though it's a really short track. It has balls and it shows promise, and it's got me interested in what's coming up next.
Yeah, nice song. The lyrics were dope. But I just think of it as a little teaser.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2016, 04:18 AM   #2092
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hey louder, I listened to that Ro James alb. today on Apple Music. You're right, it has some nice moments. I dig the Prince and D'angelo influences, but those elements kinda just make me want to listen to Prince and D'angelo.

But it's got promise. I will definitely be revisiting it.
Thanks for checking it out. I see what you mean, I think he's a really talented dude and he does have something unique going on despite having clear influences. Have you heard BJ the Chicago Kid's album by the way? I thought that was really solid too, with some fantastic standout songs. It's more old fashioned, with gospel elements.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2016, 08:26 AM   #2093
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Flume's (super) long-awaited second album, Skin, just dropped on Friday, with guest appearances from Vince Staples and Vic Mensa (and Beck, just to name a few). I don't know if this means anything to you guys, but for me it's a big deal. I came into 2016 with two albums on the brain: whatever Ye was going to drop, and Skin.

Now that it's out, I feel like pretty much everything that I was looking forward to in terms of music has happened, and we're only halfway through the year. Skin is the kind of EDM album that keeps me listening to EDM. Like HudMo's Lantern, it brings out the absolute fucking best in big tent electronica. Without albums like these, I feel like I'd give up on mainstream techno completely, and dive into the amorphous sound collages of Autechre and the panicked footwork of Jlin and RP Boo full time.

Skin is already own of my favorite albums of the year, behind Kaytranada, but right up there with Pantha Du Prince's the Triad, and probably ahead of Elseq 1-5 just because of its immediate listenability. I really feel like electronic music is finally starting to blossom in 2016. Which is fucking awesome.

Go listen to Flume - Skin.
Louder, I think you in particular will find a lot to like about it.
Interesting, I'll check it out.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2016, 09:53 AM   #2094
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Thanks for checking it out. I see what you mean, I think he's a really talented dude and he does have something unique going on despite having clear influences. Have you heard BJ the Chicago Kid's album by the way? I thought that was really solid too, with some fantastic standout songs. It's more old fashioned, with gospel elements.

Yeah, I bought that BJ album on iTunes right when it came out. I have I admit, I haven't listened to it a whole lot since then, but I liked what I heard. I've been meaning to revisit it. It's just that it came out pretty early in the year, and I was pretty much all TLOP all the time for the entire first quarter.

I'll go back to it. Promise.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2016, 09:55 AM   #2095
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Yeah, nice song. The lyrics were dope. But I just think of it as a little teaser.

Yeah, same here. But like I said, it has potential, and it has me pumped about what's coming next.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2016, 10:59 AM   #2096
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I bought that BJ album on iTunes right when it came out. I have I admit, I haven't listened to it a whole lot since then, but I liked what I heard. I've been meaning to revisit it. It's just that it came out pretty early in the year, and I was pretty much all TLOP all the time for the entire first quarter.

I'll go back to it. Promise.
Chruch
The Resume
Love Inside
Jeremiah
The New Cupid
Turnin' Me Up

These songs amazed me. The rest of the album was good too, a couple of songs were forgettable though. I consider BJ the best "new school" R&B/soul vocalist and I think he has a lot of potential to make a true classic. Hopefully someday..
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2016, 03:35 PM   #2097
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, same here. But like I said, it has potential, and it has me pumped about what's coming next.
I think it'll just be more Gucci type music from him, I don't expect him to switch it up or reinvent himself or anything. With that said, it could be really dope Gucci music. We'll see.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2016, 10:54 AM   #2098
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I think Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight is out.
I'm not positive, because Wikipedia and Google still refer to it as "upcoming," but last night I saw the 11 tracks on DatPiff.com and previewed them on my phone. Then I headed to my computer and downloaded it, but I had some trouble finding a link that worked.

I haven't listened to it yet, so I guess that's all I need to do to clear this up. But I'm not 100% sure it's not a fake at this point. We'll see. Pretty excited to hear it honestly. It seems like a cool project.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2016, 10:59 AM   #2099
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,304
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also there's a new Kevin Gates mixtape out. Haven't heard it yet either, but... yeah. It's there.

I also listened to this new joint from Lil Uzi Vert on Apple Music the other day, and it wasn't terrible... I have to confess, I mainly listened because the artwork made me think of Graduation:

 


but I didn't hate the tracks I heard. By the time I'd heard three or four I was getting a little frustrated by the lack of variation in sound from song to song. But like I said... didn't hate it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2016, 11:27 AM   #2100
louder
invito al cielo
 
louder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,099
louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
^ Interesting.

A new Pusha single featuring Jay-Z titled "Drug Dealers Anonymous" is coming tonight. Here's the artwork:

 


Can't wait.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
5
5595102103104 105 106107108115155 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth