Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The 2015 Brainwashed Readers' Poll
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.20.2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
The 2015 Brainwashed Readers' Poll

The above link is the NOMINATION round ballot.

While this poll / final list is heavily influenced by the stable of Brainwashed.com artist, it's always fun to see the releases I totally missed or have already forgotten about.

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2015, 06:05 AM   #2
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
It's always interesting to see which as kranky release will win album if the year
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2015, 11:16 AM   #3
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I nominated eight albums just yesterday. They missed a lot of good shit this year. These were the ones I nominated... Might have to submit more.

Hudson Mohawke - Lantern (Warp)
Prefuse 73 - Rivington Não Rio (Temporary Residence)
Young Fathers - White Men are Black Men Too (Big Dada)
Botany - Dimming Awe, the Light is Raw (Western Vinyl)
Squarepusher - Damogen Furies (Warp)
Sightings - Amusers and Puzzlers (Dais)
Eric Holm - Andøya (Multiverse)
Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated at Last (Castle Face)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2015, 12:20 PM   #4
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
^^^I have a few I'll be submitting myself!

If anyone is interested in looking back, here is a list of the previous Brainwashed Annual Readers Poll Winners

אש זרה

Old 12.21.2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks to that list, I remembered Kid606 dropped two new albums this year!

I use Brainwashed for the same things... finding albums I didn't remember or know about.
Old 12.22.2015, 05:56 PM   #6
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

^^^I remember reading about a kid606 release, but I didn't realize there were two or that they actually dropped.

For all the knocks about Brainwashed.com / Kranky Records, I know of no other music website that A) takes submissions from it's readers and B) allows it's readers to cast the deciding vote......and they've been doing it for ten years!

Last but not least, for those who have an iPhone, open up your podcast app and search: Brainwashed

Jon Whitney has upped several hour long podcast of new music / re-issued released in 2015. On one of the them, he even plays a new track from the upcoming 2016 Tortoise album. The podcast don't disappoint!

אש זרה

Old 12.22.2015, 06:45 PM   #7
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
It's always interesting to see which as kranky release will win album if the year

brainwashed is still one of the few non irritating and high quality zines left
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
^^^I remember reading about a kid606 release, but I didn't realize there were two or that they actually dropped.

For all the knocks about Brainwashed.com / Kranky Records, I know of no other music website that A) takes submissions from it's readers and B) allows it's readers to cast the deciding vote......and they've been doing it for ten years!

Last but not least, for those who have an iPhone, open up your podcast app and search: Brainwashed

Jon Whitney has upped several hour long podcast of new music / re-issued released in 2015. On one of the them, he even plays a new track from the upcoming 2016 Tortoise album. The podcast don't disappoint!

I found Recollected Ambient Works 1.0: Bored of Excitement, and it's damn good. Damn good indeed, for low-key piano music. I recommend it if you're into Kid. Obviously the project is a nod/middle finger to Aphex twin's SAW I and II.

I also ordered RAW 2.0, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Thanks for the heads up about the podcasts!
Old 12.22.2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Severian
invito al cielo

There's actually three if you include the RAW 1.5: Discreet Music EP. I haven't heard that one, but I expect good things. Right now I'm just focusing on hearing some of the full length albums that I missed during the year, so EP's aren't as high on my list of priorities.
Old 12.23.2015, 07:58 PM   #10
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I found Recollected Ambient Works 1.0: Bored of Excitement, and it's damn good. Damn good indeed, for low-key piano music. I recommend it if you're into Kid. Obviously the project is a nod/middle finger to Aphex twin's SAW I and II.

I also ordered RAW 2.0, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Thanks for the heads up about the podcasts!

I listened to several tracks off youtube this morning and they are amazing......low-key in the ilk of, William Basinski. Love this sort of sound in the early hour mornings......4 am is the best!

A Minor

E Minor

G Minor

I went to Tigerbeat6 to order and the newest Kid606 they have listed is, 'Let's Get Radioactive.' (2011).

Any suggestions on where to order Kid606 stuff in North America?

אש זרה

Old 12.23.2015, 09:44 PM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I listened to several tracks off youtube this morning and they are amazing......low-key in the ilk of, William Basinski. Love this sort of sound in the early hour mornings......4 am is the best!

A Minor

E Minor

G Minor

I went to Tigerbeat6 to order and the newest Kid606 they have listed is, 'Let's Get Radioactive.' (2011).

Any suggestions on where to order Kid606 stuff in North America?

Yeah, there's a few up on discogs:

http://www.discogs.com/Kid606-Recoll...elease/7070648
Old 12.24.2015, 12:11 AM   #12
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

I saw that, also found it at Midheaven.
I plan to place an order next week.

אש זרה

Old 12.29.2015, 02:39 PM   #13
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

It's Time To Vote

אש זרה

Old 12.31.2015, 08:22 PM   #14
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I saw that, also found it at Midheaven.
I plan to place an order next week.

Good, I was going to ask of you'd had any luck with that. I really hate how hard it can be to find music in the US. Electronic music can be particularly tricky. In 2014, almost all of my top 10 albums were import only, and could only be purchased for obscene prices (if you wanted them ASAP, that is... Now I'm sure they're easier to find.)

But long/short of it: I spent a good chunk of change procuring imported copies of Syro (had to have the Japanese version; if there are Aphex Twin bonus tracks on an album, not having them is simply not an option), KidKanevil's My Little Ghost, Vladislav Delay's Visa, and several others.
Old 12.31.2015, 10:37 PM   #15
Severian
invito al cielo

So, wow... they accepted almost all of my nominations! Seriously. I mean, obviously that doesn't mean I deserve all the credit for these albums being included... I'm sure more than one vote is warranted for inclusion anyway... but still - I feel like I helped that list suck a little less.

I mean, yeah, Brainwashed is pretty good. But... come on.. multiple titles from the same artists? Including every EP or split by some artists, while leaving others off entirely? That's kind of fucked up.

Anyway, of my suggestions, these albums made it onto the list:

Hudson Mohawke - Lantern (Warp)
Prefuse 73 - Rivington Não Rio (Temporary Residence)
Young Fathers - White Men are Black Men Too (Big Dada)
Botany - Dimming Awe, the Light is Raw (Western Vinyl)
Squarepusher - Damogen Furies (Warp)
Sightings - Amusers and Puzzlers (Dais)
Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated at Last (Castle Face)

While this one totally did not, which is embarrassing and infuriating, especially since fucking REISSUES are being included alongside brand new albums.

Eric Holm - Andøya (Multiverse)

Seriously, if there's a "cred" test, Brainwashed failed by leaving off this sumbitch. And how is it that the readership needed my crusty ass to remind them to include Thee Oh Sees? Not exactly an unknown band. Ditto for Prefuse 73 and Squarepusher.

And please, Brainwashed readership, show us how much you love Swans some more. I don't think we quite get it yet.
Old 01.07.2016, 02:31 AM   #16
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

And The Winner Is......

אש זרה

Old 01.07.2016, 11:30 AM   #17
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally posted by Some Fucking Dickweed:
Cong, "Viet Cong" (Jagjaguwar)

Concern trolling and armchair outrage over the name aside, the main thing I took from this record was how a bit of controversy can still trick people into liking middling indie rock. - Gary Suarez

What the fuck?

First of all, I was listening to this band for a year before any mention was made of their name, and this album had been out for several months by that time as well.

Second, this isn't some new kid on the block making same old-same old indie rock. I wonder if Guy even knows where this band comes from.

Finally, middling indie rock? In a year full of middling indie rock (Dudr, Beach house?) this is album, along with Irreal by Disappears, sizzles like a post punk inferno. It's imaginative and dangerous, like a well designed guerrilla warfare hand-weapon. It doesn't over stay its welcome, just kicks your balls into the bottom of your throat and moves the fuck on.

Even mentioning the "controversy" over the name is insulting. It had nothing o do with the album's limited success.

Just say you don't like it. Don't be a rotten little cunt about it.
Old 01.07.2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Infernos don't sizzle.

When I saw Sleater Kinney in the worst album list I thought it seemed a bit reactionary and harsh, so I checked out a couple of their new songs, they sucked pretty bad.
Old 01.07.2016, 12:41 PM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
brainwashed is still one of the few non irritating and high quality zines left

I'm not dissing Brainwashed, it's alright, but it's end of year polls are quite predictable. But seeing as they are voted for by readers it can realy be the fault of Brainwashed itself.
Old 01.08.2016, 12:34 PM   #20
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Infernos don't sizzle.

Touché.

Mixing metaphors sucks.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth