Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Cassette Tapes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.12.2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses

I was wondering how many of you still listen to cassette tapes? If you are a member of the Mix Tape Trade group, I know you do......but how about the rest of you? What was the last cassette tape you purchased and how often do you listen to tapes? Do you have shoe box full of old cassette tapes under your bed / in your closet collecting dust that you no longer listen to, but can't bring yourself to throw them away? Just curious......

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 01:59 PM   #2
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
my old car only played cassettes so i had to buy a bunch, some Sonic, Devo, B-52s, Nas, Raekwon, Shonen Knife and Meat Puppets

but my new car plays cds so i haven't cracked out the old ones in a long time

other then that have an old cassette recorder with a dinky mic attached to it, i record some song ideas on there for now, while i still try figure out my 8-track recorder
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 02:00 PM   #3
sarramkrop

Yes, i still buy cassetes and i'm ever so fascinated by this format.When i don't use a minidisc player, i carry a microphone and dictaphone with me around to record stuff.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 02:01 PM   #4
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
I do still buy new music only made available on tapes.

I keep up with most of the new stuff on labels like Not Not Fun and DNT which release half or more of their stuff on cassette. I know I've ordered some new titles that haven't arrived yet, but the last ones I ripped open were from Wizard Mountain and Red Handed Records and included tapes of some raw-ass garageslop shit from Charlie & the Moonhearts, Traditional Fools, and the incredible one-man-twang-artpunk-band Superstitions, which sounds like a cross between the Country Teasers and King Louie.

http://www.myspace.com/superstitionsislame

I haven't really kept old cassettes from my youth, but I do expect to keep all of the tapes of new bands that I've accumulated over the last few years.

There's only one tape I've kept since I was a kid, and it is a very cool artifact of the original "Cassette Underground" movement of the late-70's and early-80's. It's a cassette by an artist named Bliss Blast which came in a cardstock foldover that included lyrics, explanations, and an invitation for other people to contact him about starting a band project. It was basically his demo for himself to find bandmates. That band did materialize later and recorded an LP..."Loves and Disloves" by Breather. The LP has some very awesome moments, but the tape is even better, I think. Arty, brooding weirdpunk circa 1982.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Unfortunately, I only use CD's (yes not even vinyl). The reason why is because the cheapest way for me. I'd love the buy my music on cassette tapes (my favorite) or vinyl though.
Old 03.12.2007, 02:20 PM   #6
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I opted for a tape deck instead of a cd player in my car...

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
I bought two tasteful numbers earlier this month off a noise/drone/psychedelic label based in Scotland.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Paul Metzger will soon have a cassette out on Freedom From.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 03:29 PM   #9
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
I don't have a cd player in my car so yes!
but I only have a couple mix tapes, the soft bulletin and an rem tape. My other tapes broke.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 05:25 PM   #10
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
I've been buying a few cassettes recently, the most recent being 'The Last Attempt at Paradise' by SPK - something I've been looking for for ages.
Also a few of the 'TG24 Live' tapes.

My most precious cassettes are:= a cassette only compilation called 'Bethel', another cassette only comp. called 'Peyrere', a cassette only release of Current 93's 'Dogs Blood Rising' and my 2 'New TG' tapes, that I've never seen anywhere else.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 05:28 PM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have a cassette player in my vehicle and recently scored "In Strict Tempo" by Dave Ball on cassette for one dollar!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
Also a few of the 'TG24 Live' tapes.

My most precious cassettes are:= a cassette only release of Current 93's 'Dogs Blood Rising'

I did not realize any of 'TG24' were available on cassette. Do the ones you have include artwork / information?

What do you mean by cassette only release? I have 'Dog's Blood Rising' on vinyl and CD......does your cassette only release have tracks or alternative mixes not included on the vinyl or CD?

Each month, I pull one of my tapes from the 'Rising From The Red Sand' (sure wish someone would re-issue this on cd or vinyl) compilation series and enjoy it for a few nights while driving to and from work.

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 05:53 PM   #13
sarramkrop

They were originally put out on cassette.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 05:59 PM   #14
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen a few on eBay. Outrageously priced! I'd like to have them though.

Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 06:30 PM   #15
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I have an audio book of Return To Oz which i put on in the living room to confuse my housemates when theyre in the next room listening to Hollyoaks

I also have a Pavement compilation tape i made for the car, which sounds so bad its appropriate.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 06:51 PM   #16
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
What do you mean by cassette only release? I have 'Dog's Blood Rising' on vinyl and CD......does your cassette only release have tracks or alternative mixes not included on the vinyl or CD?

Track Listing for the Cassette release

Side A
  1. Christus Christus The Shells Have Cracked
  2. Falling Back In Fields Of Rape
  3. Christ's First Howling *
  4. Fields of Rape*
Side B
  1. From Broken Cross, Locusts
  2. Raio No Terrasu (Jesus Wept)
  3. St. Peters Keys All Bloody
  4. I'm The One*
*Not on the vinyl or CD releases.
The cover is different as well.

Rising from the Red Sands!! - now I'm envious!

Old 03.12.2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Have this on the house, Пятхъдесят Шест.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 07:05 PM   #18
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob

Thanks, but those MY cassettes!! I ripped them and sent them to Mutant sounds!

Old 03.12.2007, 07:07 PM   #19
sarramkrop

Do you have the original tapes?Lucky bastard.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2007, 07:08 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

I was wondering how many of you still listen to cassette tapes? If you are a member of the Mix Tape Trade group, I know you do......but how about the rest of you? What was the last cassette tape you purchased and how often do you listen to tapes? Do you have shoe box full of old cassette tapes under your bed / in your closet collecting dust that you no longer listen to, but can't bring yourself to throw them away? Just curious......

i recently purchased 18 new cassettes at $1 each from a sale bin at a "cd-only" store. many of them were disappointments, but my favorite ones were an issue of "better late than never" by the bush tetras, some mazzy starr, and edith piaf. certainly not as esoteric as TG but i do have this old truck that is cassette only.

i also have an old walkman jacked to my stereo for the occasional tape playback.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content 2006 Sonic Youth