Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page "Pop Music"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.12.2015, 08:27 PM   #61
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
rebeccagotcursedout..

I don't know who you are but I like your posts yo!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2015, 10:23 PM   #62
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Sure, when one ignores or avoids mainstream pop music there is always the danger of missing a rare gem, but the rate of return on those gems is so slim that I prefer to take my slimmer and slimmer listening hours to places where my particular tastes have a better chance of being rewarded. I can step out of my comfort zone and still get nowhere near the mainstream. Osmosis tells me I am doing the right thing over 99% of the time. I don't really need to dig deeper into areas with so little potential when there are so many other more rewarding or interesting rabbit holes in the world.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2015, 10:42 PM   #63
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout

popism vs aestheticism. i like that better

yes. you hit the nail right on the head

that's the old lowbrow/highbrow distinction-- which keeps getting cancelled but always keeps returning anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Sure, when one ignores or avoids mainstream pop music there is always the danger of missing a rare gem, but the rate of return on those gems is so slim that I prefer to take my slimmer and slimmer listening hours to places where my particular tastes have a better chance of being rewarded. I can step out of my comfort zone and still get nowhere near the mainstream. Osmosis tells me I am doing the right thing over 99% of the time. I don't really need to dig deeper into areas with so little potential when there are so many other more rewarding or interesting rabbit holes in the world.

it's true that it's good to stop wasting time & instead go deeper as life becomes shorter

but where would you be without devo?

i bet you heard them on the radio

(that same transaction is happening to a 12 year old right now)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.12.2015, 10:52 PM   #64
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Devo are one of the only "truly original" bands to ever exist, and they came up in a different time. A band that weird would never get mainstream radio play today. One of the rarest of rare exceptions. One of the other groups I can think of as being that original is Throbbing Gristle, operating at exactly the same time and exerting a similarly huge influence on the musical landscape in subsequent decades. Both are a far cry from today's tasteless vocal gymnasts making faceless producers rich with saccharine "soulful" vocal runs over smooth aural diarrhea, and you know the radio wouldn't have played TG even if you threatened them with a tank at their door.

And I didn't hear Devo on the radio.

I saw them on Square Pegs, with a teenage Sarah Jessica Parker.
Old 02.12.2015, 10:58 PM   #65
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Devo are one of the only "truly original" bands to ever exist, and they came up in a different time. A band that weird would never get mainstream radio play today. One of the rarest of rare exceptions. One of the other groups I can think of as being that original is Throbbing Gristle, operating at exactly the same time and exerting a similarly huge influence on the musical landscape in subsequent decades. Both are a far cry from today's tasteless vocal gymnasts making faceless producers rich with saccharine "soulful" vocal runs over smooth aural diarrhea, and you know the radio wouldn't have played TG even if you threatened them with a tank at their door.

And I didn't hear Devo on the radio.

I saw them on Square Pegs, with a teenage Sarah Jessica Parker.

do you know her in person?

i don't know what is square pegs (sorry, not american) (i feel without googling this might be some children's tv show?) (just a guess)

i saw devo on a government-run channel. we had military dictators!

ANYWAY -- there is a devo out there right now but you can't know it

to find out what it is you'll have to ask a professional musician 40 years from now

then they'll say "oh, it was..."
Old 02.12.2015, 10:58 PM   #66
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

(Not to mention that Devo were all art school kids, and the public and record labels nearly always missed the satirical or subversive parts of their mission)
Old 02.12.2015, 10:59 PM   #67
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
(Not to mention that Devo were all art school kids, and the public and record labels nearly always missed the satirical or subversive parts of their mission)

but they nearly always do
Old 02.12.2015, 10:59 PM   #68
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
do you know her in person?

i don't know what is square pegs (sorry, not american) (i feel without googling this might be some children's tv show?) (just a guess)

i saw devo on a government-run channel. we had military dictators!

ANYWAY -- there is a devo out there right now but you can't know it

to find out what it is you'll have to ask a professional musician 40 years from now

then they'll say "oh, it was..."

It was a sitcom she was on as a youngster. I was 12. It was 1982.
Old 02.12.2015, 11:01 PM   #69
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
It was a sitcom she was on as a youngster. I was 12. It was 1982.

see?

we just have to wait for those 12 year olds to grow up

they'll find a way
Old 02.12.2015, 11:01 PM   #70
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
but they nearly always do

Yeah. Which is why I maintain that though they were a Pop Sensation, Devo were still ""art rock," and their pop success was a fluke and very much "of its time."
Old 02.12.2015, 11:05 PM   #71
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah. Which is why I maintain that though they were a Pop Sensation, Devo were still ""art rock," and their pop success was a fluke and very much "of its time."

history is a continuous loop

or to quote "true detective"

fuck, i don't remember the quote ha ha

sorry. something about a flat disc or something.

but anyway, it happens continuously, is my point.
Old 02.12.2015, 11:06 PM   #72
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
time is a flat circle. ahah. i don't think there's a truly great pop group out there. there is some fantastic pop like charli xcx and such. there isn't really a group like talking heads or devo unafraid to make genuinely weird pop.
Old 02.12.2015, 11:08 PM   #73
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Well, point made in that case.
I guess the point I am making is that Beyonce is no Devo.
And let's face it, the radio has never been more of a soulless wasteland controlled by algorithms and ad revenue metrics than at present.

(To symbol man)
Old 02.12.2015, 11:13 PM   #74
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, point made in that case.
I guess the point I am making is that Beyonce is no Devo.
And let's face it, the radio has never been more of a soulless wasteland controlled by algorithms and ad revenue metrics than at present.

(To symbol man)

well yes the radio is no longer what it was

now it's people's phones or something else-- works a different way

i don't know enough about beyonce's music

i know she's a spectacular incarnation of ineffable things

but i just don't listen to her because i'm not interested

but somewhere out there there is something making cracks under the ground and we just can't hear it but some 12 year old does

just wait a little.

they'll pick up the thread.
Old 02.14.2015, 08:51 AM   #75
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Beck - Morning Phase, won album of the year during last nights Grammy's.

Beck

Wrote, produced and arranged all 13 songs......played 16 different instruments.

Beyonce

Wrote zero songs, produced ??? and doesn't play one instrument.

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2015, 08:53 AM   #76
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
well, Beck plays instruments etc but that doesn't necessarily make his album better.

here's my opinion, from the hip-hop café thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Beyoncé is more than a manufactured pop star. she actually recorded 80 songs for her album. and it wasn't only her ambition and perfectionism that were a part of what made that album great, but also her artistic vision. it's Beyoncé who wanted Rocket to sound like a D'Angelo song, ***Flawless to be Houston-rap inspired. and i really like the content of the album as well. there are songs which reveal the "darker" side of her relationship with Jay, as well as female empowerment, dealing with today's beauty standards, etc. not to mention she's a great singer. it's the best female pop album in years if you ask me, and i definitely don't mind it being declared the "album of the year".

Bey's album is a lot more interesting than Beck's in my opinion. his album was pretty much a watered down version of Sea Change.. but it's all about timing i guess.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2015, 09:03 AM   #77
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
First off, this is a category I care little about. However, over the years, it's been interesting when a "out of nowhere" nominee won.

Beyonce is doing nothing different than Madonna and several others have done over the years......surround yourself with all the right people and make it happen. I have no clue how the Grammy committee makes it's selections, I'm just happy someone like Beck was able to win.

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2015, 08:42 PM   #78
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
yo forreal tho....why this shit gotta be so good.

it's just so fucking catchy.

capsule-love me
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2015, 09:01 PM   #79
100%

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
great "comeback" album but i'd say she had a bunch of better albums in the 90s.
I like that this one isn't padded out with those absurd ballads, at least until the end, and even then the production doesn't come across as dated as it once did. I had never paid her any attention (nor any pop to a deeper extent) until my ex made me watch glitter with her and it was just banga after banga. there's something about her late 90s/early 2000s stuff where the songs were so ingeniously simple, something like honey or heartbreaker where it's a minimal loop and her sampled voice intermingling with the main melody. especially something like the latter where the song comes across as a total fucking mess, too many sections and unrelated melodies until they all come together and resolve simultaneously atop one another.

plus her voice is just fucking sweet.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2015, 01:37 PM   #80
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost

Perfect!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth