Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.26.2016, 02:27 PM   #201
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
this one, loved it. (kaki king "the neck is a bridge to the body")

This looks really wicked. I had always been intrigued by her, but never totally got into listening to her stuff. Had no clue about this recent stuff she was doing.

I am also becoming quite intrigued with this projection mapping and it's uses in shows like this. I recently saw Animal Collective, who had some pretty cool projection mapping visuals, as well as a Cirque du Soleil show based on Avatar that had some absolute genius uses. I really like what I am seeing here from Kaki based on your shots and a few Youtube vids.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2016, 02:41 PM   #202
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

edit: actually that was two days ago, yesterday I went to see/listen to Ulan Bator + Fuzz Orchestra, Ulan Bator great as always, Fuzz Orchestra interesting but a bit boring in the long run.
''Are you enjoying the show?'' projections on her guitar. Seriously?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2016, 04:04 PM   #203
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Saw At the Drive In last thursday and they rocked. I honestly expected Cedric to hold back a bit, but he didn't. He fucking nailed it. Jumping all over, screaming, and not some singing screaming stuff...but actually belted out when he needed to. Anyways...I'm glad it wasn't tame. I arrived late(worked super late) so I was by myself the whole show, until the very end. For the closer, One Armed Scissor, Everyone started going nuts so I plowed through to the front and found my friend whom i was supposed to drop off later. Anyways....shortly after that, I saw another friend(from the Street Fightin' crew) and he was like "holy shit!" and then lifted me up onto the crowd and yeah...I got to crowd surf for one armed scissor and it was awesome.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2016, 04:32 PM   #204
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Saw At the Drive In last thursday and they rocked. I honestly expected Cedric to hold back a bit, but he didn't. He fucking nailed it. Jumping all over, screaming, and not some singing screaming stuff...but actually belted out when he needed to. Anyways...I'm glad it wasn't tame. I arrived late(worked super late) so I was by myself the whole show, until the very end. For the closer, One Armed Scissor, Everyone started going nuts so I plowed through to the front and found my friend whom i was supposed to drop off later. Anyways....shortly after that, I saw another friend(from the Street Fightin' crew) and he was like "holy shit!" and then lifted me up onto the crowd and yeah...I got to crowd surf for one armed scissor and it was awesome.

I'm still hoping for some mid-Texas dates for this tour. I mean, Oklahoma would be better, for sure, but I still can't believe not a single Texas date...
Old 05.26.2016, 05:24 PM   #205
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

edit: actually that was two days ago, yesterday I went to see/listen to Ulan Bator + Fuzz Orchestra, Ulan Bator great as always, Fuzz Orchestra interesting but a bit boring in the long run.

she looks like Justin Beiber in these pics
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2016, 02:22 AM   #206
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
''Are you enjoying the show?'' projections on her guitar. Seriously?

yeh, it was a mid-show sketch with the guitar "talking".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPaB35yNTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
she looks like Justin Beiber in these pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
I am also becoming quite intrigued with this projection mapping and it's uses in shows like this. I recently saw Animal Collective, who had some pretty cool projection mapping visuals, as well as a Cirque du Soleil show based on Avatar that had some absolute genius uses. I really like what I am seeing here from Kaki based on your shots and a few Youtube vids.

Her set was quite interesting (some of the projections are animated in real-time in synch with the guitar sounds) from a technical pov, but if you like projection mapping you should definitely check Amon Tobin's stage for his ISAM tour, if you haven't yet. Especially the second leg of his live dates (ISAM 2.0) when he expanded the whole set. Check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2neUctndyTY
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2016, 08:58 AM   #207
Peterpuff
stalker

Quote:
but if you like projection mapping you should definitely check Amon Tobin's stage for his ISAM tour, if you haven't yet. Especially the second leg of his live dates (ISAM 2.0) when he expanded the whole set. Check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2neUctndyTY

No, I have not seen this. Just did a quick spot-check through the vid and it looks pretty intense. Will certainly be watching through it this evening when I can actually concentrate and "watch" it uninterrupted. Looking forward to it, thanks.

Edit: And to continue thread theme, I actually saw Deftones last night. I know that might be a little cliche and not appreciated around here, but I swear every time I see them lately I can't help but be impressed at how on-point Chino can be. He always will be one of my favorite front-men. He absolutely killed it last night. Solid setlist too. I think 4 Around the Fur tunes in the first 6 or so, and did not even play a song off the new album until like 8 songs in or something like that. No 7 Words though, which was highly saddening.
Old 05.27.2016, 03:53 PM   #208
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Alan Licht & Tetuzi Akiyama, didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped to, in fact I thought it was generally pretty dull.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2016, 06:44 AM   #209
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
caught opn for like the third time the other night. he's becoming incrementally worse each time. in retrospect wasn't too big a fan of the last record but live the elements which came to irritate me on the lp were seemingly all he was interested in. don't think I'll bother next time out

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2016, 02:41 PM   #210
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Last night:

Uskovaiset - A new band, pretty nice stuff live. https://uskovaiset.bandcamp.com/
Sokea Piste - great noise-rock/punk once again. https://sokeapiste.bandcamp.com/albu...seen-maailmaan
Sur-rur - Melodic punk. First time I saw them properly. Good shit live. I believe they were greatly influence by things like the huskers and replacements. check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jof_5UKQ2eU
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2016, 07:05 PM   #211
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Kanye West, and it was absolutely transcendent. Visually, musically, all over the map. One of the best arena shows I've ever been to. Probably the best really.

Excited to see Shellac in Chicago next.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2016, 09:42 AM   #212
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
some psych gig with 3 danish bands. i think i was the only foreigner there.
the music was great but the atmosphere sucked. par for the course where i live.

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2016, 06:27 PM   #213
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Clock DVA and Meat Beat Manifesto this past weekend in Houston......it was my first time seeing each. While it was a thrill to see them, overall I was disappointed. Guys noodling around on laptops just isn't much of a show. Some of the video images / production was fabulous, but there was no musicianship. I was at least expecting "live drums" with MBM, but nothing of the sort......just live video streams of drums.

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2016, 07:02 PM   #214
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I've always quite enjoyed Meat Beat Manifesto. Not, like, a ton, but I'd see them live.
Old 10.06.2016, 02:26 AM   #215
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
pj harvey..
i miss the old, dirty sound a la steve albini.. the new album is great, but lacks the personal impact of her earliest work..

the gig reflected just that..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2016, 09:44 AM   #216
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
pj harvey..
i miss the old, dirty sound a la steve albini.. the new album is great, but lacks the personal impact of her earliest work..

the gig reflected just that..

I think the new album is great too, but after revisiting Dry and Rid of Me, it definitely loses its luster a bit. I did not feel that way about Let England Shake. That album felt like grisly old PJ updating her mission statement for the 2010s. New one is very good, but very good can be disappointing when there's so much great to compare it to.

Haven't seen her perform the material live though. I've read good things about the Hope Six shows actually. Sorry it didn't really measure up for ya.
Old 10.06.2016, 04:31 PM   #217
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I've always quite enjoyed Meat Beat Manifesto. Not, like, a ton, but I'd see them live.

I've enjoyed the music of both groups for a long time. As I said, I was excited for the opportunity to see them perform. However, guys leaning forward toward their laptops, squinting their eyes to see what to "click next" isn't much of a "performance."

My history with Clock DVA was first hearing tracks of theirs on compilation LP's and cassettes back in the mid to late 80's. I've always been more partial to their instrumental / experimental based music.

Number's Night Club as been a Houston institution for close to 40 years now. It's where I first heard Meat Beat Manifesto and back in the day, I was just as excited about the 12" remixes as I was full length albums.

Saturday Night's Setlist:

01. Fire #9
02. Sound Innovation
03. Hello Teenage America
04. Drop
05. Luminol
06. Nocebo
07. Assassinator
08. Edge Of No Control
09. Noise Interlude
10. Helter Skelter
11. Still Falling
12. Prime Audio Soup
13. I Am Electro
14. God OD
15. Do It With Soul
16. She's Unreal
17. I Got The Fear, Part 2
18. It's The Music
19. Acid Again
20. Drum Attack
21. Penultimate Bass Test

Notice the screen in front. It often had hell fire images of flames and whatnot playing and that was a cool effect......but the guys never stepped out from behind their laptops, never stopped to talk or share a story about the music.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2016, 06:28 PM   #218
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Notice the screen in front. It often had hell fire images of flames and whatnot playing and that was a cool effect......but the guys never stepped out from behind their laptops, never stopped to talk or share a story about the music.

Ick. I've been to shows like that and they make me wish I still took crazy pills. Might be fun if I was tripping and dancing, but certainly not for actual entertainment.
Old 10.08.2016, 03:41 PM   #219
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
saw saxophone quartet battle trance last night. they are way better live than on record. very intense. shrill, dissonant, beautiful. they made pretty much every sound you can make with saxophones.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2016, 12:00 AM   #220
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVyAMdsp7WQ
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth