Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Fall entourage
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.28.2007, 10:45 AM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm really surprised you all think the new fall is as good as the old fall. i'm not saying the new fall stuff is bad, just that it's kind of workmanlike

I think they've been fairly consistently amazing for far too long. I'm generally a fan of everything apart from pre-Slates stuff. His lyrics, to my mind, have rarely slipped except for a few occasions. Despite the fact I'm sort of arguing for the musical element, it's the lyrics which seperate them from every other band.

I got into them around Levitate, which was the dying breath of 'old Fall', so it's a lot easier for me to like the newer stuff, methinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2007, 11:24 AM   #22
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Meh, I haven't found newer Fall stuff all that amazing either to be honest although I haven't listened to all that much.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2007, 12:48 PM   #23
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Theyll Be No Christmas For John Quays..............

Aaaaaaaaaaa Aaaaaaaaaa Aaaaaaa Aaaaaaaa Aaaaaaaaaaa Aaaaaaaaaa Aaaaaaa Aaaaaaaa
Old 01.28.2007, 12:52 PM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl9VieMg1zw

".....WHATS A COMPUTER???????????????"
Old 01.28.2007, 12:55 PM   #25
M_emmett
empty page

M_emmett is a splendid one to beholdM_emmett is a splendid one to beholdM_emmett is a splendid one to beholdM_emmett is a splendid one to beholdM_emmett is a splendid one to beholdM_emmett is a splendid one to beholdM_emmett is a splendid one to behold
I like The Fall but sometimes it can be a bit harsh on the ears.

I always thought that Mark E Smith was a bit of an idiot to be honest. He seems like the hardest person to stand, let alone being in a band and touring with him. Jesus, that would be hell!

Long may he live
Old 01.28.2007, 01:01 PM   #26
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

mark is no fucking idiot i assure you but i get what you mean. it must be a bitch being in a band with him.
Old 01.28.2007, 01:09 PM   #27
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I reckon he's a cunt, but generally people in music who aren't at least a little bit cunty are talentless.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.28.2007, 06:10 PM   #28
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Semper idem sed non eodem modo...works for message board threads too.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2007, 06:26 PM   #29
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Meh, I haven't found newer Fall stuff all that amazing either to be honest although I haven't listened to all that much.
It's about understanding the mechanics of a certain type of music.Once you get it,my love,you really have learned.The Fall are one of the few bands that can afford themselves to be a science rather than a band.Probably the only of this kind.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2007, 10:05 AM   #30
michael71
little trouble girl

michael71 ain't too shabby
I don't want to get into an old Fall vs. new Fall argument but I do think that all the line-up changes affect the sound. In the 70s/80s Steve Hanley had that very unique Fall bass sound. I think that when he left (after a very long stint with them) things were more inconsistent with their sound in general. It's not that The Fall don't make good records anymore, they still come out with the occasional cracking tune (blindness for example) but they've lost something along the way. Having said that, when I saw them in Dublin a few months back I was very impressed with Mark's voice. It seemed to be stronger again and he was in good form too and not too sloppy on the mic.
michael71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2007, 10:49 AM   #31
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

fucking forgot about that one. i went to see em 4 years ago in dublin and the fucker never showed up!!!!
Old 01.29.2007, 11:02 AM   #32
connie kreski
little trouble girl

connie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant futureconnie kreski has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
history will vindicate me!

call me history because i think you're right.

it must be hard for the new bands to learn the old songs (the
reason why there isn't so many oldies played live...) because
the guitars are too wild to be tranposed easily for a newcomer
(does it make sense ?)

the new compositions are easier to "hear", to me at least.

connie kreski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2007, 12:42 PM   #33
michael71
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
fucking forgot about that one. i went to see em 4 years ago in dublin and the fucker never showed up!!!!

Yeah, there's never a guarantee that the old codger will actually turn up. When I was bringing my friends to the gig I had to warn them about that. Every time that they tour there's usually at least one gig cancelled and that could be at the very last minute!
Old 01.29.2007, 12:44 PM   #34
michael71
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie kreski
call me history because i think you're right.

it must be hard for the new bands to learn the old songs (the
reason why there isn't so many oldies played live...) because
the guitars are too wild to be tranposed easily for a newcomer
(does it make sense ?)

the new compositions are easier to "hear", to me at least.

Yeah the newer stuff is a bit more straught forward 'rock' in a sense. They do attempt the occasional oldie though.
Old 01.29.2007, 09:23 PM   #35
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
In the BBC documentary he says that he's had "Fall fans" in the band before who want to make it sound like The Fall, and that's not what he wants.

I've read that Ben Pritchard interview before, it's pretty brutal.. being in The Fall sounds like an absolute nightmare
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 08:32 AM   #36
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgercorn
I've read that Ben Pritchard interview before, it's pretty brutal.. being in The Fall sounds like an absolute nightmare
yeah, and still he's not sure if he'd return if mark would ask...
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 03:31 PM   #37
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Playing gigs with Mark sounds like a nightmare, i saw The Fall last year and he was fiddling around with the amps while the band were playing and then in between songs he was telling the band how and where to stand.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 05:17 PM   #38
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
but then again he did get beaten up by his band on stage in the 90's..
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 05:48 PM   #39
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
Playing gigs with Mark sounds like a nightmare, i saw The Fall last year and he was fiddling around with the amps while the band were playing and then in between songs he was telling the band how and where to stand.

yeah in the documentary the band members refer to this as "Live Mixing" haha, what a load of shit. I saw it when i saw them last year, it was pretty entertaining but it was just him fucking around with the amps.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 06:54 PM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
yeah in the documentary the band members refer to this as "Live Mixing" haha, what a load of shit. I saw it when i saw them last year, it was pretty entertaining but it was just him fucking around with the amps.

I wrote something, then deleted. I'm hammered. The synopsis is - he's a genius, you're not. He doesn't know fuck all about musicality, which is why he's the most necessary character in music today.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth