Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ATP In Between Days, 07 Dec 2009 to 10 Dec 2009, Butlins, Minehead
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.09.2009, 04:04 PM   #1
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses

If you are planning to come to both December ATP weekends, or wish to stay on after weekend 1 (or come early to weekend 2!) we have limited availability for people to stay on site during the week in between. This will cost £100 per person for the four nights, and is only available as 4 berth self-catering. If you book a 4 berth self-catering apartment for both weekends you will be able to stay in the same apartment. If you have booked other accommodations for weekend 1, you will need move into a 4 berth self-catering from Monday to Thursday or Monday to Monday if you book a 4 berth self catering apartment at weekend 2. To book, please contact feedback@atpfestival.com with IN BETWEEN DAYS in the subject line and include your booking references and the type of accommodation you have booked.

All apartments are to be charged at £400 for four people for the four days. People staying can be people who are staying from weekend one, people who are arriving early for weekend two, or people who are not attending either event but wish to come for the week in between. Please note, it is the responsibility of the ticket buyer to ensure the correctly wristbanded persons are sleeping in the apartment at any one time.

If you only have 2 people in your party who wish to stay, we can place you in a share-a-chalet for the 4 days with another 2 people, so you don’t have to pay for the empty beds.

Please note people who are not attending either of the weekend events but wish to come should contact feedback@atpfestival.com for a full list of terms and conditions.

During the week Crazy Horse will be open and we’ll be putting on light entertainment including bands and djs. The line-up will be confirmed very soon!
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 03:36 PM   #2
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
In Between Days Line-Up Confirmed!

Monday October 12, 2009
If you are planning to come to both December ATP weekends, or wish to stay on after weekend 1 (or come early to weekend 2!) we have limited availability for people to stay on site during the week in between. This will cost £100 per person for the four nights, and is only available as 4 berth self-catering. We can do chalet sharing if you're interested. Full information is available now, click for details!

As promised we will be offering entertainment each evening and today we can confirm that the amazing line-up for the week includes:

Lightning Bolt
Tall Firs
Alexander Tucker
Fuck Buttons
Om
Mum
Growing
Bardo Pond
Deerhoof
Polvo
APSE
Sleepy Sun
+ a couple more additions to be announced shortly along with some other activities that will run during the week!
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 03:41 PM   #3
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
If they add Shellac from the second weekend as well then I should just stick to the first weekend plus in between days and then fly home on Friday to catch Merzbow and Zeitkratzer etc at State-X New Forms.... really.

Really.
Old 10.12.2009, 03:42 PM   #4
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
So I guess Bardo Pond won't be playing in London that week
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 03:45 PM   #5
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Who knows... I don't see why they wouldn't.
If anything, this means that they won't be in the UK just for the weekend only.
Old 10.13.2009, 07:07 AM   #6
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
fuck me.
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I just emailed bardo pond to see if they are planning any other UK shows, I'll let you know if/when/how they respond
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2009, 07:54 AM   #8
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I just emailed bardo pond to see if they are planning any other UK shows, I'll let you know if/when/how they respond

can you ask aswell if there are any european shows in the planning?
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2009, 08:29 AM   #9
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
uh, Apse, I love Apse.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 08:15 AM   #10
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

I think compared to the ATP weekends I saw the most music during the In Between Week, because there was only one stage and barely 100(!) people in attendance... I don't think ATP are ever going to do that again, they must have lost money.

Alexander Tucker's solo set was really good, but I didn't like him much when he played with an orchestra at the 10 Years weekend.

Lightning Bolt were awesome, playing off the stage like they should.

Dirty Three - hilarilously good. After the first song Warren Ellis decided they were going to play Horse Stories in full. Because Mick Turner didn't know how to play all the songs Ellis borrowed an iPod from someone in the audience to play those bits he didn't know.

Fuck Buttons were fun

Bardo Pond were MASSIVE. I got lost in their sound and found myself back 45 minutes later. It all went too fast.

OM - enjoyed them quite a bit, Lichens brings in a whole new dimension to their music. But still, every time I see them I can't help but missing the old OM.

Polvo were very good, much better than I expected them to be.

Deerhoof really annoyed the hell out of me, Josh T Pearson put me to sleep (he was better playing electric during the 2nd weekend though), APSE were just meh, Tall Firs presenting Glass Rock were alright, Mum were OK and Growing sucked (I really don't like their new direction, although they were better during the 2nd weekend).

The Crispin Glover thing was eh, interesting. I couldn't get much into the slide show, the movie was very weird, although I liked it in a perverse way and the Q&A where he explained the background to the film was very helpful. Still 3 hours was a bit long.
Old 12.21.2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I think compared to the ATP weekends I saw the most music during the In Between Week, because there was only one stage and barely 100(!) people in attendance... I don't think ATP are ever going to do that again, they must have lost money.
I wouldn't surprise me if they got the venues etc for cheap as chips; knowing there wasn't that many tickets sold probably cuts down on security costs. The site probably makes money on beer sales and other such sundries, and I'd imagine the costs of the bands, who weren't top-drawer expenses, were likely consolidated in the other two weekends (two gigs would probably cost only slightly more than one). So it wouldn't surprise me if they turned a profit off of this, regardless of the low turnout.

I don't know why I obsess over costs like this, it's not like I'd ever do anything so foolhardy as actually plan a festival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2009, 08:50 AM   #12
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
this is what im most jealous of your days there!
still we missed them the last night. but nevermind. it was so packed..

At least we saw a few minutes...
If it helps, I liked Bardo Pond and The Dirty Three better than Lightning Bolt during the week.
Old 12.21.2009, 09:03 AM   #13
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I wouldn't surprise me if they got the venues etc for cheap as chips; knowing there wasn't that many tickets sold probably cuts down on security costs. The site probably makes money on beer sales and other such sundries, and I'd imagine the costs of the bands, who weren't top-drawer expenses, were likely consolidated in the other two weekends (two gigs would probably cost only slightly more than one). So it wouldn't surprise me if they turned a profit off of this, regardless of the low turnout.

I don't know why I obsess over costs like this, it's not like I'd ever do anything so foolhardy as actually plan a festival.

Some good points.
All bands playing were also playing the second weekend (some of them also the first), so most of them were around for the whole week anyway, except for the ones who were playing other dates elsewhere in the UK during that week.

But what I heard from one of the girls from the mobile massage stand was that ATP told them they counted on 1000 tickets to be sold. That's A LOT more than there were, so they had fuck all work to do (and they were paid on commission!)

I also doubt Butlins made much money on beer sales during the week. Everyone who stayed for the In Between week seemed to have a chalet within 3-4 minutes walking distance from Crazy Horse. With setup times between sets being 30-45 minutes, most people I was hanging out with went back and forth to their chalet to drink. I was drunk every night, but I don't think I bought more than 10 beers at the bar during the whole week and that includes giving two rounds. Yet there were at least 3 people behind at the bar every night (I doubt they get paid a lot though).

I do hope they'll do it again though.
Old 12.21.2009, 09:22 AM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
1000 tickets? That really is ambitious. Who has the money for that at Christmas? In the summer, maybe. Well. You're probably right then. The only thing I can think is that they were getting some revenue from the mobile massage stand and did a bit of creative lying.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.21.2009, 01:40 PM   #15
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
^ but they had the resort functioning in slow mode, didnt they? that must have saved some money.
Everything inside the pavillion was closed, except for the supermarket that was briefly open at seemingly random times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
1000 tickets? That really is ambitious. Who has the money for that at Christmas? In the summer, maybe. Well. You're probably right then. The only thing I can think is that they were getting some revenue from the mobile massage stand and did a bit of creative lying.

I don't think money is the problem, probably more getting the time off work/school. For a lot of people it's even cheaper to stay over for 100 pounds than it would be to travel back and forth to where they live. The people I met there were all from Scotland, Manchester, Birmingham, Paris... nobody from Taunton or Weston-super-Mare.

I wouldn't be able to fly back and forth for that money and even if I'd gone back and forth to London then the costs of travelling and accomodation would've been a lot more than 100 quid, not to mention the bands I got to see for that money...

I don't know, maybe 1000 people is ambitious, but I spoke to a lot of people who'd been up for the whole marathon if it weren't for work/study obligations and the likes. Plus, most ATP visitors have to travel hundreds of kilometers to get to Somerset.

Anyway, I had a great time. I don't really care if ATP lost money or made profit from that week.
Old 12.21.2009, 06:05 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

It wouldn't surprise me if I was the only person in history from Weston to go to ATP, it really wouldn't.

You'll have to swing through Bristol next time, there's usually a few gigs locally in the run up (Lightening Bolt this year).

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth