Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2006, 03:31 PM   #121
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
don't put words in my mouth, i defy anyone here to read some heartbreak soup stories and see that they are not below the par of whatever contemporary literature.

contemporary literature is written sloppily. pick me someone worthy of balzac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
and it's a shame you can't "persue a thought" from a drawing the same as you would be able to if you had it l i t e r a l l y s p e l t o u t t o y o u

well now that's just bad spelling. don't get cranky, you are more fun when you maintain your sarcastic detachment.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 04:45 PM   #122
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i saw a poster for the film adaptation of atomized the other day. that is sure going to be interesting because the book sure is fucked up. i like the book.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 07:14 PM   #123
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

well now that's just bad spelling. don't get cranky, you are more fun when you maintain your sarcastic detachment.

i'd just returned home from a drunken rampage when i wrote that, but i maintain the sentiment.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 07:17 PM   #124
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
im reading Angela's Ashes for AP english
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 04:23 AM   #125
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses

Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 09:04 AM   #126
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Reading 'OLd Goriot' by Balzac, had to stop for a while cause of exams, start it again soon
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 10:33 AM   #127
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I kind of want to read Atlas Shrugged, but I heard that it hammers the idea of Objectivism into the readers ad nauseam, because she didn't feel Fountainhead did a good job of it. Sounds like it would be a bit tedious if that's true. I've always kind of shied away from it. If I take on a book that big, I have to really want to read it.
Fountainhead turned out to be better than I thought when I read it.

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 05:33 PM   #128
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
white teeth
Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 06:01 PM   #129
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
i just started reading "a farewell to arms" by hemingway... a friend of mine told me that when i will have finished this book, i will want to cry and quit my job immediately... is that true?
but the guy who said that is actually full of shit so for all i know he might have said that about just any book he liked, without it meaning something in particular...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 10:39 PM   #130
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
If you want to read something depraved but mainstream you can't go wrong with Palahniuk. Other then his short story "Guts", I would read "Invisible Monsters", probobly his most depraved book.

LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:23 AM   #131
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o
i just started reading "a farewell to arms" by hemingway... a friend of mine told me that when i will have finished this book, i will want to cry and quit my job immediately... is that true?
but the guy who said that is actually full of shit so for all i know he might have said that about just any book he liked, without it meaning something in particular...

I've only once read something that was so good/sad it made me want to die, which was a frightening thought at the time, but looking back on it, I'm just so overwhelmed by the fact that someone's writing was so real to me that I was able to feel that way at all. So, hooray for talent.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 12:25 AM   #132
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Im reading: Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham and its bringing me down.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 05:18 PM   #133
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
Chomsky is too adament in his own arguments, and has a tendency to put motives where there may only be machination, he also denied the Khmer Rouge Genocide was occuring, and more recently that there was no Genocide in going on in Serbia before the NATO bombing.

But his books have a lot of information in them, and he does point out some pretty blaring hypocrisys, a lot of what he says is inarguable despite the contexts of his arguments. He's probably best used as a stepping stone into issues than as an authority of them. Fateful Triangle his account of the Israel/Palestine conflict is one of his better ones (although its long and dense)

How is he a self denying hypocrite?

For Political books I'd recommend - depending on your interests

Crimes Against Humanity - Geoffrey Robertson (one of the best books about the international human rights structures, it's critical but only of their unfulfilled potential).

What Is Al Quada - Jason Burke (calm lucid analysis)

One No Many Yesses - Paul Kingsnorth (pretty inspiring account of the myriad Social Movements internationally umbrella'd together as anti globalisation movement)
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 05:21 PM   #134
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o

farewell to arms is great and beautiful but my favorite of his is "a moveable feast". oh man. that book... you'll forever be discontent with your life after it.
Old 06.23.2006, 05:27 PM   #135
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
This board.
Old 06.23.2006, 05:30 PM   #136
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Plan on wading into Atlas Shrugged tonight. Hopefully it'll catch my interest quick, or I might have to put it down for some Dostoyevsky.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 05:32 PM   #137
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

chomsky's work in linguistics is pure genius; unlike french wankers, his work has been corroborated by solid scientific evidence.

chomsky on politics is another story. feel free to agree/disagree, it's a matter of opinion.

the thing with this guy is that he's too smart for the rest of us-- i've seen him live, by the way, and the lights went off for a second, and i could swear he was glowing in the dark. i suspect he's an alien, or at least a genetically engineered mutant.
Old 06.23.2006, 05:38 PM   #138
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe I should check out some of Chomsky's linguistics work...
Old 06.23.2006, 05:41 PM   #139
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Plan on wading into Atlas Shrugged tonight.

gross.

cut the bullcrap & read nietzsche.

chomsky himself is rather abstruse; i recommend steve pinkert's "the language instinct" as an intro to chomskian linguistics (& the amazing discoveries it's spawned)
Old 06.23.2006, 05:44 PM   #140
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

Right now I'm listening to a Chomsky lecture on language.

I guess your not an Ayn Rand fan?
57107 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth