Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Good non-fiction reads
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.01.2006, 06:39 PM   #1
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
I've been thinking lately that I read fiction almost exclusively, and thus I'd like to broaden my spectrum into the realm of things that actually happend. I'm willing to try anything that is interesting, and I would thus like to find out what some of your favorite non-fiction reads are.
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 06:44 PM   #2
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
the Charles R Cross "HEavier than heaven" book is pretty good, the David Lee Roth bio is meant to be very funny too.

I've beeen meaning to get Vonnegut's new one about living in GWB's america
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 06:47 PM   #3
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
That's a really broad classification. Anything specific you want to read about? Ancient history, politics, cultures, philosophy, inspirational?
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 07:01 PM   #4
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like some recommendations as well. Something in the vein of anthropology. Maybe something about ancient egypt or something about Eastern culture.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 07:03 PM   #5
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Herodotus
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 08:06 PM   #6
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
the Charles R Cross "HEavier than heaven" book is pretty good, the David Lee Roth bio is meant to be very funny too.

I've beeen meaning to get Vonnegut's new one about living in GWB's america

Are you referring to A Man Without A Country, or is there an even newer one that I'm not aware of?

If you are talking about that one, it's worth reading (and although short it manages to be alternately hilarious and sad) but anyone who has read a number of his books will recognize some of the material from his previous books. Although it contains new observations, for the most part it plays the same kind of role as a Greatest Hits album would. One of my former friends gave it to me as a gift, but read it beforehand, and said she liked it (but it was the only thing of his that she has read, and after reading it I wonder if she was just lying to make me happy, since I can't picture her reading any of his other books--and she hasn't since). The book was enjoyable to me partly because it referenced things he discussed in his other books, like Jailbird for instance.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 10:21 PM   #7
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
hey, I bet you might like Diary of a Hope Fiend - Timothy Leary or maybe Diary of a Dope Fiend - Aleister Crowley
hmm, no one's said Helter Skelter or In Cold Blood yet...

if no one objects, I'll skip right past "good" & go straight
to
great

1 either/or vols 1-2 - soren kierkegaard
2 purity of heart - soren kierkegaard
3 the denial of death - ernest becker
4 the golden bough - frazer
(also the larousse encyclopedia of mythology...aw hades, throw in edith hamilton too)
5 the book of changes, i ching - trans. richard wilhelm/ foreword by jung
6 complete works - plato
7 picasso:50 years of his art - alfred h barr
(another great one is picasso's picassos with photos by david douglas duncan)
8 the outsider - colin wilson
9 love's body - norman o. brown
10 tao te ching - lao tzu
11 fear & trembling - kierkegaard
12 the philosophy of andy warhol - warhol
13 magic & schizophrenia - geza roheim
14 psyche & symbol - c.g. jung (also man & his symbols - a posthumous work by jung scholars)
15 hell's angels - hunter s thompson
(throw in fear & loathing in las vegas too)
16 the tao of physics - fritjof capra
17 apocalypse - d.h. lawrence
18 easy riders raging bulls - p biskind
(whereas, say, Scorcese on Scorsese is good, Biskind's book is great)
19 seeds - a thomas merton compilation
20 the death of socrates - i.f. stone
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 12:26 AM   #8
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses

finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 01:22 AM   #9
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
everything bad is good for you- steven johnson

right now i'm on a big biology/genetics kick and i've read a few very good books on the subjects but i can't remember their names. check a few out though if you go through the aisle at barnes and noble or something.
Old 07.02.2006, 05:31 AM   #10
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody

DEFINATELY

such a great book
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 05:49 AM   #11
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I read a book on Genghis Khan. Bought it out of the blue purely for the same purpose as you-Knowledge.

I was really surprised how good it was. Coming to the end it got a bit boring but most of it was great and also what it boils down to-fascinating.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 07:07 AM   #12
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
K - a biography of Kafka
Darwin's dangerous Idea - Daniel C Dennett
Interpretation of dreams - freud
that's my two cents
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 07:53 AM   #13
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Beyond Good And Evil - Friederich Nietschze
Old 07.02.2006, 10:52 AM   #14
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
DEFINATELY

such a great book

gee, thanks for reading my post...(sarc)
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 11:41 AM   #15
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
hey, I bet you might like Diary of a Hope Fiend - Timothy Leary or maybe Diary of a Dope Fiend - Aleister Crowley
hmm, no one's said Helter Skelter or In Cold Blood yet...

if no one objects, I'll skip right past "good" & go straight
to
great

1 either/or vols 1-2 - soren kierkegaard
2 purity of heart - soren kierkegaard
3 the denial of death - ernest becker
4 the golden bough - frazer
(also the larousse encyclopedia of mythology...aw hades, throw in edith hamilton too)
5 the book of changes, i ching - trans. richard wilhelm/ foreword by jung
6 complete works - plato
7 picasso:50 years of his art - alfred h barr
(another great one is picasso's picassos with photos by david douglas duncan)
8 the outsider - colin wilson
9 love's body - norman o. brown
10 tao te ching - lao tzu
11 fear & trembling - kierkegaard
12 the philosophy of andy warhol - warhol
13 magic & schizophrenia - geza roheim
14 psyche & symbol - c.g. jung (also man & his symbols - a posthumous work by jung scholars)
15 hell's angels - hunter s thompson
(throw in fear & loathing in las vegas too)
16 the tao of physics - fritjof capra
17 apocalypse - d.h. lawrence
18 easy riders raging bulls - p biskind
(whereas, say, Scorcese on Scorsese is good, Biskind's book is great)
19 seeds - a thomas merton compilation
20 the death of socrates - i.f. stone

You really like Kierkegaard. I have The Sickness Unto Death; haven't gotten around to reading it and not really looking forward to it (after scanning the first couple of pages).
Nice list, though. I'll keep some of those in mind next time I'm in a bookstore.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 03:05 PM   #16
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
The Dirt - Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

(the motley crue autobiography coauthored by neil strauss.) anything neil strauss writes is good, but this book is awesome. Each band member tells their side of the story, and sometimes they even conflict. you won't be able to put it down. i read a lot of biographies and this is hands down the best rock book out there.

marilyn manson's is pretty good too, but you'll feel dirty after reading it.

mr. nice is a great read too about howard marks, england's big drug dealer. i bought it mainly because his face on front looked happy and nice in a tony danza kind of way but it was another one i couldn't put down.

i don't read much fiction at all. i much prefer an interesting person's story.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 04:28 PM   #17
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.03.2006, 07:56 AM   #18
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
I'm not sure In Cold Blood is totally non - fiction, its too literary to be journalism, it is a great book though.

Other good ones

Globalisation and its Discontents
Head On - Julian Cope
Shakey (the Neil Young biography)
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt
London a Biography - Peter Ackroyd
How to Talk Dirty and Influence People - Lenny Bruce
Fight the Power - Chuck D and Yusef Jah
Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
Sophies World - Jostein Garder (its a story about a girl and her philosophy teacher but also a beginners guide to the history of philosophy)
Love All The People - Collected works of Bill Hicks (terrible title but pretty much indispensable compilation of transcripts and interviews)
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 08:47 AM   #19
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.03.2006, 09:58 AM   #20
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Brett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's asses
i never read fiction anymore...

may i reccomend:
The Adding machine, The Job, and/or My Education - William S. Burroughs
The Search for the Manchurian Candidate - John Marks
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat - Oliver Sachs
Mass Psychology of Fascism - Wilhelm Reich
UFO's and the National Security State - Richard Dolan
Angels and Aliens - Keith Thompson
Acid Dreams - Martin Schlain
The Men Who Stare At Goats - Jon Ronson
Apocalypse Culture vol.1 or 2 - Adam Parfrey et al
Brett Robinson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|