Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Elephant & Last days
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2006, 05:48 PM   #1
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
I watched two movies of him,Last Days and Elephant I thought elephant was cool, Last days I thought was kind of boring. what do u think?

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
last days sucked. i don't know what elephant is.
Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 05:54 PM   #3
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Over-hyped trash.
Old 03.23.2006, 05:57 PM   #4
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
gus van sant should only be allowed to make volkswagon commercials for hipster TV stations.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 06:00 PM   #5
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I think Chris has just had the most brilliant idea ever EXCEPT that they have to be foreign so I don't have to watch them.
Old 03.23.2006, 06:00 PM   #6
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I hear nothing but bad shit about Last Days. If it's anything like Elephant I doubt I could take it.
Old 03.23.2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
hey chabib what did kim think of the movie? was she like devestated about the horrible reviews? why was she even in that movie in the first place. i thought she believed kurt was murdered?
Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 06:09 PM   #8
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Well what I can remember of last days is...just the ending and the scene with kim. other than that the movie seems vague.

Old 03.23.2006, 08:00 PM   #9
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
i heard that two guys will just start randomly making out in alot of his movies.
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 09:36 PM   #10
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
I really thought Last Days was beautiful, but a lot of people pretty much hate it. I haven't seen Elephant. My only advice would be to not expect a Kurt Cobain biopic when watching Last Days...I know that's how the studio advertised it, but that was just to sell it. His movies get compared to paintings, so if that doesn't scare you off you might give it a try. It will resonate with some people, but most can't stand it... Keep in mind also that there are a lot of reasons a person might not like a movie, but it really isn't a movie for everybody.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 10:17 PM   #11
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
I'm not sure of a review, maybe it's not as widespread a comment as I thought, I could only find one on Imdb that compared his shots to a renaissance painting. I tried a google search...I guess it's something I just heard and figured it was common because it made sense to me.

The reason I mentioned it was because to me his movies have a certain quality as a whole, all these individual shots that add up to a certain picture or sentiment or feeling. There's no necessarily obvious message to it, it's just something that either moves you or it doesn't. The way he'll have minutes just observing people in bed with somebody shoveling in the background, it's an image that hits the mind and emotion a certain way. When you see something in a painting, you often sort of just stare at it for awhile, sometimes focussing on an individual small detail, or moving around the painting in that sort of silence. When I was watching Last Days, I sort of just got lost in the movie, outside of time, every thing around it stopped, like floating or being in a dream. I guess to me it means a movie that strikes you more by the visual imagery and by the way each individual part has an emotional reaction that affects the whole perception of the movie, rather than a movie which really makes your mind think, it sort of makes your mind dance or flow. A movie that has a much more visual impact than it does in words. Some movies give me a real flurry of wordy sort of thoughts, which can be really amazing, but this one was different in the sense that it didn't really translate to word. Sorry if this explanation sucks, I can't really say exactly what I got out of it, but that's how it made me feel.

I don't think that everybody should necessarily like the movie, or that those who didn't it was through some fault of their own... It just had an effect on me I guess. The only reason I responded to the thread was because I didn't want people to just write it off.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2006, 10:24 PM   #12
static-harmony
invito al cielo

yeah in last days and elephant guys start making out.

Old 03.23.2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I've only seen Elephant, and it was amazing. I haven't seen Last Days, but from what I've heard is it's terrible.
Old 03.23.2006, 10:41 PM   #14
static-harmony
invito al cielo

Yeah I thought elephant was good, I just like violence,but most people hate it.

Old 03.23.2006, 10:56 PM   #15
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony
Yeah I thought elephant was good, I just like violence,but most people hate it.

I find violence interesting in a movie, but uneccesary in reality. I just saw "The Hills Have Eyes" and I found that it was all based on shock value from the violence, but some parts of it were pretty cool to watch.
Old 03.24.2006, 05:30 AM   #16
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i havent seen elephant or last days but i really want to, just havent got around to it yet.
ive seen Drugstore cowboy though, didn't think it was anything special.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth