Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page New Kim Gordon album drops in March
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2024, 09:34 AM   #1
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
https://youtu.be/IZ3i80B0qKg?si=O2sV6G56ubWQsibx

Lead single and video for “Bye Bye” staring Coco above

Legendary musician and multi-disciplinary artist Kim Gordon returns with her second solo album, The Collective, which will be released March 8th on Matador. Recorded in her native Los Angeles, The Collective follows Gordon’s 2019 full-length debut No Home Record and continues her col- laboration with producer Justin Raisen
(Lil Yachty, John Cale, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Charli XCX, Yves Tumor), with additional production from Anthony Paul Lopez. The album advances their joint world building, with Raisin’s damaged, blown out dub and trap constructions playing the foil to Gordon’s intuitive word collages and hooky mantras, which conjure communication, commercial sublimation and sensory overload.
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2024, 11:13 AM   #2
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
Tour dates

March 21
Burlington, VT
Higher Ground

March 22
Washington, DC
Black Cat

March 23
Queens, NY
Knockdown Center

March 27
Los Angeles, CA
Regent Theater

March 29
Ventura, CA
Ventura Music Hall

March 30
San Francisco, CA
The Fillmore

the timing on this is tough, I already got tickets for Unwound at the 930 Club the day after, might be tough to do both back to back at this time, 20 years ago this is cannot miss, but sucks being so far away
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2024, 01:04 PM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Damn that was awesome! I'm glad Kim has leaned into heavy beats + guitar noise as a foundation for her voice, it really suits her. Looking forward to hearing the full album!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2024, 01:45 PM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds pretty dated, not just the beats. The video also looks like something Dior or a big fashion house would use to promote a new perfume or shoe. The muted colours etc. Which is ok, but done a million times before. Oh well, good luck, Kim Gordon. I suppose living off the aura of cool that follows you pays the bills. It's more 'worship your idols' than kill them, at this stage.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2024, 04:47 PM   #5
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Kim is seventy years old, the fact that she's still making music is cool enough on its own but the fact that it's not just shallow repetition of what she's been doing for decades is even better. Go well.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2024, 05:30 PM   #6
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Kim seems really comfortable with the style she's going for here. And I dig it. Not everything has to push the envelope. I can enjoy good music for its own sake. And that sort of production fits her vocal style like a glove. Looking forward to the album.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2024, 01:43 AM   #7
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
"Coke Bottle Green" LP flew off the shelf real damn quick (less than a day). BYE BYE indeed!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2024, 02:48 PM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Kim is seventy years old, the fact that she's still making music is cool enough on its own but the fact that it's not just shallow repetition of what she's been doing for decades is even better. Go well.
If we start considering everyone's personal circumstances when creating any form of art, we'd never develop any accurate critical sense or appreciation of what we like about art in the first place. In your post you're telling me that Kim Gordon is 70, she's still making music and she's trying something new with her music. These are all thing I am aware of to start with. And they are all good things, everyone should make stuff whenever they want at whatever age in the situation they find themselves in. In this particular case we are talking about an established artist who's been creating music for a long time, very often brilliant music. In this particular case, personally, her music to me sounds rather trite and boring. Which is also odd, because out of all members of Sonic Youth since they split, I think Kim Gordon is the one whose records with Body/Head have been often better than Sonic Youth themselves in their decline since Sonic Nurse.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2024, 05:36 PM   #9
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
If we start considering everyone's personal circumstances when creating any form of art, we'd never develop any accurate critical sense or appreciation of what we like about art in the first place.
you're right of course,

eno is 75 and cranking out work

philip glass, 86 and still touring

nadia boulanger died age 92 working into her final days half blind already

but it's more direct to tell her this way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Kim is seventy years old,
child please

xD

(seriously though claire. musicians can make music at any age. unless like sonny rollins they can no longer physically blow a horn, no easy feat, but he's still working in his archive. but maybe it was just the phrasing that gave a different meaning from what you intended? what did you mean by 70?)

Quote:
but your criticism a bit harsh lol cmon... you don't have to like it of course, but go easy with the extrapolations maybe? i mean why/what for/ get into "living off" etc? that portion i think is unjustified. but i guess that maybe you expect more of her? you mean this is just commercial or exploitative?

i also like her output best in general from all the post-nurse stuff (i liked nurse a lot but not what came after). my fave record of hers so far is the loren mazzacane colaboration, but i like parts of no home record also, body/head, etc.

for the heavy beats i was satisfied with sketch artist and keep hearing it in my head when i hear bye bye

the washed out color of the video is an l.a. thing, i think. the california sun does that often in the daytime. but i wouldn't judge a song by its video. this peaches tune with kim has a great video though hahahaha https://youtu.be/UifL2B8ygfc featuring cassandro

i agree also with antagon that not everything has to push the envelope (not everything has to be avant garde, especially when we move in circles nowadays, going nowhere)

my least favorite part of bye bye is the lyrics maybe. it sounds like a packing list (for travel or something), "shampoo" whatever, does not work for me for the most part... but hilariously it ends with vibrator and teaser, so extra bonus for those items hahaha

lists feature heavily in the greek epics, in the hebrew bible and in whitman. not always my favorite but sometimes they work

as a packing list, it reminds me of george carlin's classic "stuff" routine. see: https://youtu.be/MvgN5gCuLac, first 2.5m is just the setup, the second part refers to travel, and by the end tell me if kim's and carlin's lists don't rhyme hahahaha. i hear them as just one thing now...

--

anyway looking forward to hearing the rest of the album eventually
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2024, 11:17 PM   #10
musicplatypus
little trouble girl

musicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

but your criticism a bit harsh lol cmon... you don't have to like it of course, but go easy with the extrapolations maybe? i mean why/what for/ get into "living off" etc? that portion i think is unjustified. but i guess that maybe you expect more of her? you mean this is just commercial or exploitative?

Its, like, they were trying to be one of those over-the-top magazine or newspaper critics.

I personally do not like the rappish beat. Although it is all over social media: "Today's Rap Song We are Crushing Over" or some such. I liked noisy bits and song, musically, otherwise.

I also found the list odd.
musicplatypus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2024, 01:23 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicplatypus
Its, like, they were trying to be one of those over-the-top magazine or newspaper critics.

well, it's a common habit to ascribe motivations to the observed results of someone's actions, a cause to the effect, e.g, "this cake is delicious, must be the cook loves us"

but while results are observable by all, motivations can't really be observed...

maybe the cook just got lucky today, or the cook has a good work ethic regardless of feeling, or the cook bought the cake in a store to save the trouble, or the cook performs better when not giving a fuck...

why people do things is very hard to establish. even with ourselves. sometimes we think we know why we do things, but we really don't hahahaha. it's like that quote by rimbaud about the brass waking up a trumpet and "it's not his fault" hahaha, because "i is another." therefore, if we can't really know ourselves, how much more of an alien, how much more unknowable is "another" with a different self?
Old 01.21.2024, 10:20 PM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds kind of like the white(y) album but in 2024. And like the white(y) album, it could be worse, but it could also be better.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2024, 11:03 AM   #13
Beer In Belly
little trouble girl

Beer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard sucka
Kim's still out here trying to subvert Tik Tok's favourite commercial genre with skronk. Meanwhile Coco dancing on your paycheck. They both need beer in belly
Beer In Belly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2024, 07:32 PM   #14
syouth69
bad moon rising

syouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's asses
anyone knows if the japanese edition will have bonus tracks?
syouth69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2024, 03:57 AM   #15
AlSonic
little trouble girl

AlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by syouth69
anyone knows if the japanese edition will have bonus tracks?
I don't think so. Here's a link for info & purchase.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Kim-Go...s%2C241&sr=8-1
AlSonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2024, 10:23 AM   #16
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
that bye, bye track is something else. wow.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2024, 06:10 PM   #17
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
NEW VIDEO // "I'm a Man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKP3ORu0QY
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2024, 03:08 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
i had no idea kim had embraced jordan peterson lol
Old 02.18.2024, 03:42 PM   #19
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
i love that kim is still making music, she's a queen. murdered out is one of my fav songs in the entire sy/sy solo catalogue. i hope she continues to do whatever she wants
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2024, 10:15 PM   #20
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sounds pretty dated, not just the beats. The video also looks like something Dior or a big fashion house would use to promote a new perfume or shoe. The muted colours etc. Which is ok, but done a million times before. Oh well, good luck, Kim Gordon. I suppose living off the aura of cool that follows you pays the bills. It's more 'worship your idols' than kill them, at this stage.

Agree with this one hundred per cent, also with Genteel's comment about it being ironic that Body/Head is some of the best post SY music whilst this is the worst.

It's just these stock trap style beats that I really struggle with, and even the guitar noise sounds a bit stock, lacking that wild unhinged quality Sonic Youth had.

There's better ways to combine noise with beats. See Merzbuddha, Demdyke Stare, Autechre, Wolf Eyes, Macronympha live at No Fun Fest for a few examples.

Also, the list thing at the end of the song has already been done in the Bedroom and Side2Side. It didn't really work then and it doesn't really work now.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth