Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page When was the last time you thought humanity made a step forward and why?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2010, 04:48 PM   #21
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
i walk with my feet in a forward motion every day
The sign that says ''inflated ego'' is right on your left.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 05:39 PM   #22
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Obama being elected president, i suppose. A step forward for America and as such the world as a whole
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 06:00 PM   #23
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not so certain of that one. The election of a black President of the United States, after the fact, seems to be a more a step forward in the abstract rather than the concrete.

For me, it calls into question a conflict between the qualified and the token, a question that was personified when Sarah Palin entered the McCain's campaign. It cannot be doubted that President Obama was elected in a combination of both his qualification regardless of his race and as a token of his race. As such, it makes it difficult to speak about the advancement of black people, which seems to get by on the uncritical conflation of both aspects, in such a way that I think racial identity needs to be re-evaluated.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 06:08 PM   #24
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Can anyone tell me how we're any better than ancient civilizations? Technologically we're more advanced, but as a society what more do we have to offer?

no slavery, plus hygiene, communications, science, medicine, equality laws, plentiful food, democracy
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 06:18 PM   #25
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I'm not so certain of that one. The election of a black President of the United States, after the fact, seems to be a more a step forward in the abstract rather than the concrete.

For me, it calls into question a conflict between the qualified and the token, a question that was personified when Sarah Palin entered the McCain's campaign. It cannot be doubted that President Obama was elected in a combination of both his qualification regardless of his race and as a token of his race. As such, it makes it difficult to speak about the advancement of black people, which seems to get by on the uncritical conflation of both aspects, in such a way that I think racial identity needs to be re-evaluated.

Those are all fair points but I wasn't refering to Obama's colour at all. I just think the world is a safer place with Obama in the White House than it would be had McCain won.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 06:20 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
no slavery, plus hygiene, communications, science, medicine, equality laws, plentiful food, democracy

Yeah, but apart from abolishing slavery, hygiene, communications, science, medicine, equality laws, plentiful food and democracy - what has modern civilization ever done for us, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 06:21 PM   #27
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The condition of some Chinese workers, meaning a lot of humans, resembles those of a factory worker in England at the time of the industrial revolution.
Old 05.06.2010, 06:23 PM   #28
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Those are all fair points but I wasn't refering to Obama's colour at all. I just think the world is a safer place with Obama in the White House than it would be had McCain won.
Oh, right, well that was at least the prevention of a step back.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 06:25 PM   #29
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

That's just China. Imagine India etc.
Old 05.06.2010, 06:33 PM   #30
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

American politics are not a representation of humanity by themselves. Demonrail get real. Quick!
Old 05.06.2010, 06:33 PM   #31
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The condition of some Chinese workers, meaning a lot of humans, resembles those of a factory worker in England at the time of the industrial revolution.

yeah, but just because the change has yet to take affect globally it doesn't mean it's not a step forward
Old 05.06.2010, 06:40 PM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, but just because the change has yet to take affect globally it doesn't mean it's not a step forward
A global change means the whole of the planet benefits or suffers from it, no?
Old 05.06.2010, 06:48 PM   #33
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah, but apart from abolishing slavery, hygiene, communications, science, medicine, equality laws, plentiful food and democracy - what has modern civilization ever done for us, eh?

abolishing slavery? lol?

science? yep, nuclear bombs too. new technology with which to kill things.

medicine. true, altho we can mostly only cure or attempt to manage diseases that are created by modern conditions. so its kind of a double edged sword. but yes method, knowledge, technique and technology have improved massively. we may have lost a lot too but that old knowledge is not impossible to rediscover. a massive downside is all the potential cures for cancer/other disease that we could have found but are lost forever due to our enviromental recklessness. (they reckon their must have the clues that would lead us to a cure for cancer somewhere in the brazillian rainforest but thats its probably lost now or will be soon due to all the logging.)

equality laws? maybe if your a first worlder. and you're not female, black, from originally outside of the national state you live in now or gay, in which case you'll be at best "tolerated" and kept in your place and at worst basically murdered. and even so, the equality laws have not fixed the income disparity between blacks, hispanics, latinos etc. and the white population. we can't legislate equality when the system demands it as its structural foundation.

plentiful food? only if your a first worlder. otherwise things have probably got worse for you. and the 1st world food is only good for the minority, the rest eat unhealthy shit, far worse and more toxic than most of the so called "uncivilised" peoples but yes, there is a lot of it.

democracy? i'll believe it when i see it.

you could have said technology, but after peak oil that's all over anyway haha. once peak oil is gone and providing we don't find a workable alternative (wind solar etc. rely on oil/batteries) we're going back to the primitive anyway. but yeah, without wanting to sound like i endorse the whole "technology will save us and is the reason for life" argument we have made a lot of new shit recently. but this shit isn't necessarily gonna last. wasn't the flush toilet, or was it maybe some sort of irrigation system, created somewhere then lost for centuries before it reappeared again? we will possibly loose a lot of our acheivements in the sands of time.

also civilisation has brought unprecedented enviromental destruction. but it should be said also the means with which to understand and predict things like global warming.

so its kind of a mixed bag, but i think the civilisation/non civilsation framework is kind of useless.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 06:49 PM   #34
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
A global change means the whole of the planet benefits or suffers from it, no?

yeah of course, but humanity (and specifically nations) doesn't operate in unison
Old 05.06.2010, 07:00 PM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah of course, but humanity (and specifically nations) doesn't operate in unison
Yeah. What am I meant to reply to this?
Old 05.06.2010, 07:17 PM   #36
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Nick, you're mostly an arsehole, but I agree with you that I go through a lot of trouble to marry someone because of my sexuality. Not even the infamous black people go through this sort of shit.
Old 05.06.2010, 07:25 PM   #37
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Every time I get an erection I feel like things are looking up for the species. As I stare down at my glistening tubesteak I see hope, a rallying point for all those in that believe in good, a warm blazing hearth that cuts away at the surrounding darkness. But the second I cum the deepest misanthropy sets in and nothing matters.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2010, 07:26 PM   #38
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah. What am I meant to reply to this?

whatever the universe commands you to
Old 05.06.2010, 07:48 PM   #39
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikangod
Every time I get an erection I feel like things are looking up for the species. As I stare down at my glistening tubesteak I see hope, a rallying point for all those in that believe in good, a warm blazing hearth that cuts away at the surrounding darkness. But the second I cum the deepest misanthropy sets in and nothing matters.
This is the second time I see tubesteak mentioned today. Oh. Oooh.
Old 05.06.2010, 07:56 PM   #40
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The sign that says ''inflated ego'' is right on your left.
thanks, i noticed, i keep it right next to my full length mirror.

the sign that says "incapable of grasping sarcasm" went right over your head.
Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth