Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page "Assisted Suicide" Doctor Jack Kevorkian dead at 83
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2011, 09:18 AM   #1
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_870791.html

RIP I'm not going to make the guy out to be a hero or a monster. I think calling him a criminal is ridiculous. The mainstream media made him out to be the "back alley abortion" of assisted suicide for terminal patients.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 01:54 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Odd, since I just mentioned him on here last week (the only time I've ever mentioned him, or really thought about it). RIP.

He made some really cool art and some pretty great records actually, check those out sometimes..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 02:21 PM   #3
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite line regarding this, from dlisted.com

"Dr. Jack Kevorkian died without assistance at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan early this morning at the age of 83."
Old 06.04.2011, 02:41 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

I think calling him a criminal is ridiculous.

Really, even after he crossed the line from the despicable act of assisted suicide to the mercurial mercy killing more familiar to veterinarians?

+ God Bless the Soul + (hey, even garbage deserves grace)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 02:48 PM   #5
gast30
invito al cielo

gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
on belgium tv i heard euthanesy for psychiatric patients, a possibility
have some serious questions about that
isn't it that suicidal paitients are psychiatric patient
again powerfreakedup people that are gonna make decisions for those who can't or give help

better start with lowering the suicide rate
8 a day
n°2 in europe
but belgium has no money for that
they have money for the royal family and politicians driving 4X4 and drinking champagne
they don't want to see the problem
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 03:14 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
you don't deserve any grace for that comment. at least since your god isn't real you won't recieve any..

what does that have to do with anything? This dude was a scoundral, I don't mean to shit on his obituary, but seriously, he is more a nazi then a doctor, consistently fascinated and involved with things not only beyond poor taste, but beyond any kind of decency. I pray even for the souls of the worst, in fact especially because of their badness, that perhaps some grace be found, be it from my not real God(s) or the harmonic convergence of the vibrating strings of several interpolating dimensions..

When people are suicidal, they are not rational. It is the purpose of rational human beings to do their best to dissuade and inspire these poor, saddened people away from such self-destructive thoughts. At the least, if folks are not so concerned with the saving of life and mind, they should then mind their business. What this guy promoted was horrifying at every level, and I have no shame saying so. Not only did he promote something despicable, but he crossed that very line and became a mercy killer, which is something different entirely.

Old 06.04.2011, 03:44 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
yes, it is the purpose of vitalists such as yourself to convince the suffering that they must suffer at all costs, to affirm your superstitious and amoral outlook that is blind to the quality of life in the name of upholding its supposed sacredness. it is for your fear of death that people must be kept alive as long as possible in conditions of deplorable agony. after all god wouldn't make us just to suffer and then die!

Supposed sacredness? Get over yourself, there is nothing sacred about an ICU, but there is something sacred about the depth of the human heart which can endure such suffering empathetically and directly without collapsing under its own weight. Life hurts, so what?

What makes us moral, human beings is that our love for each other allows us to stand by our friends, family, lovers and neighbors when they are suffering, even to the point of death. We don't try to convince people to live because it is righteous to suffer, no, we are not necessarily trying to convince them of anything. The reason you don't let a person kill themselves is because it is selfish and lazy on our part to be complicit in the act. These people are suicidal because they are in pain, they are afraid, and may be lonely. They need physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual support from other human beings. They need to be touched, to be held, to be appreciated, to simply have a human being at the foot of the deathbed to co-exist with, because human beings are social creatures. What you are proposing is heartless, selfish and lazy. We don't help each other out with suffering because of morality or of a fear of God, we help each other out because of LOVE.

We love those who suffer, and we feel their pain, and we share it with them, so that they are never alone through it. We can't understand, be it from a scientific or religious perspective why people die or suffer, but what we can do as human beings is stop, pause and breathe a moment, and then do what the fuck we have to do to stick it out like adults and take care of each other regardless of the mutual pain. Even wolves don't kill their own out of injury, but the pack stays together till the bitter end..

Old 06.04.2011, 03:56 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
it should just sit there as a monument to your own irrelevancy and madness. it's baffling and saddening that people still chose to bask in such ignorance.

ahem
Quote:

i'm glad we had kervorkian, and i'm glad we have those that follow after him. because they take great risks to provide a service that is both necessary and, as you might say, graceful.

speaks for itself

Old 06.04.2011, 07:04 PM   #9
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
I hope I have a Dr Kevorkian when I'm old.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 07:39 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Same here...

These people were terminally ill, becoming vegetables, and the medical company wanted to keep taking their family for thousands -- tens of, hundreds of, etc -- meanwhile they were completely miserable and were already basically dead. So, they wanted to die for real. ...Everyone should have the right to do what they want with their lives. That's why it's THEIR life. The option should be available. A country that supports the "death pentalty" but doesn't support assisted suicide, means if you want to die in a way other than your own hands, you're going to have to commit awful crimes in order to get your own death! I mean, that's simplfying it a bit, but it does seem a bit... ironic?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
If I were ever in the kind of terminal agony that these people were in, I think I'd hope like hell I could find someone who'd assist me in ending my life. I think it's pretty fucked up the way this guy was vilified by a certain segment of the population. If someone chooses to end their own life, no matter what the reason, it's their choice and I think it should be respected. How the fuck can was as a society dictate that people don't even have the right to die when they want to? It such a fundamental right.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 08:26 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

you goth kids do realize that being suicidal, even if for supposedly good reasons, is a serious mental illness right?

Old 06.04.2011, 09:18 PM   #13
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
I guess theres a sort of dignity in allowing yourself to last until the natural way gets its way, but you know what, its not like anything but death itself adds up in the end. I'm thinking, I have an immigrant (most likely due to economic circumstances) care worker wiping my ass and rolling me to and from my bed because I cant do it myself nevermind go out, going through the physical motions of being despite my brain having called it quits years ago, no one comes to visit me because I'm not going to have a family and clan to support me and who likes visiting seniors anyway? I live day to day as I always have in a superficial hell playing cards or whatever the fuck waiting for medication, that is IF I AM LUCKY ENOUGH to have a government by then that supports such a thing (which I doubt), reflecting on most likely the worst of shit because my perspective is taken over by the fact that I'm in a shit situation in the present.
Please.
Old 06.04.2011, 09:23 PM   #14
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

Or I could presuppose that when I'm older, I'll have hit the WISE button and take everything really awesomely and find some house of people to take care of me and everythings fucking awesome and I can watch kids grow up and wonder at how things have changed in awe at the awesomeness of life itself. I'll magically not be affected by the fact that my ankles shattered into dust in a single step rendering me sedentary despite a lifetime of independance. My longingness of natural human connection will be limited to doctors visits and the pestering of local merchants.
Old 06.04.2011, 09:25 PM   #15
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you goth kids do realize that being suicidal, even if for supposedly good reasons, is a serious mental illness right?
I guess atsonicpark, myself and a bunch of others are just a bad batch of mental patients then.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 09:27 PM   #16
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

At least you were never committed and then dumped in back alleys once the government funding ran out. That's why the vancouver downtown east side has such a nasty reputation. A whole hospital. It literally happened, and no one cares.
Old 06.04.2011, 09:37 PM   #17
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I went to med school with this guy. He was awfully good at pinball. We used to go out shopping for Tripp pants together.

r.i.p.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2011, 09:49 PM   #18
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

Youre so cute.
Old 06.04.2011, 11:35 PM   #19
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2011, 05:19 AM   #20
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

I suppose everyone is mentally ill then. I highly doubt there is one person walking the earth over the age of 18 that hasn't at least once considered it as a possible option. Suicide is an option. Of course, it may not always be the best option, but if I was sick in bed hacking lungs out in severe pain and knowing I would be dead soon...yeah....I think suicide would be a good option...in the same way, I think anyone that truly gave a fuck about me would also consider it a good option. I wouldn't want to watch my friends/loved ones suffer on that serious of a level.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth