Last nite 6 19.35%
Hard to explain 6 19.35%
New York City Cops 2 6.45%
Take it or leave it 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02.04.2012, 04:47 AM   #41
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
i was watching some nondescript awful band on mtv canada talking about how you should buy music and vinyl is cool again or whatever shit, and one of the albums these guys reccommended was the strokes and this dork is saying some shit "i didn't know this was gonna be one of those quote unquote important records" and i just wanted to puke.

and then they showed something about some corp. i don't know if it was converse but i think it was. who made their own studio and recording label, and then they showed some fucking nobody strokes wanna be band who were talking some shit like "people say if you advertise a product or record for like a corporation you're selling out, but i think those people can stay in their basement and like preach to the fifteen people who listen to them."

holy fuck buddy, you aren't famous, and the company is probably only giving you $5000 to put their logo all over the album, thanks for including that on yr album cover because now i know to avoid the cd even if it's free, that said you already advertised to me when i watched yr dumb ass interview,you already made me a marketing demographic. and i should kick their asses for that, and i could because strokes wannabe bands are so fucking soft.

you know why converse chose you douchebag? not because you're famous, but because they don't want music overshadowing the thought of shoes, yr boring music sends the mind racing for something else to think about and the converse ad you're looking at sends it right to the thought of buying shoes.

i'm really glad i don't remember what either of these lame bands were called

And what is non-boring music for you, may I ask?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2012, 06:31 AM   #42
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
IS THIS IT is one of my faves. classic when it was released and still a classic now. i was totally waiting for something like this when it came out in 2001 when i was 21 to kill all the rap-rock nookie wannabees.

show your love.

Barely Legal is my fave.
KLASSIK.. r.i.p rap-rock (just showing luv ).
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2012, 07:38 AM   #43
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
^just as good as Is This It. they started to suck after that.
Old 02.04.2012, 08:05 AM   #44
louder
invito al cielo

i was scared to check it for a long time.. then it turned out to be my fav Strokes album.
Old 02.04.2012, 08:50 AM   #45
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
i was scared to check it for a long time.. then it turned out to be my fav Strokes album.

This was my sentiments too about this album back in the day but YA! it's got some mint tarts; end has no end for example.

Third album was atrocious and the latest one is not much better, they both have maybe a couple good songs and thats it. The same can be said of Julians solo album.

Not heard much of the guitarists (can't remember his name) stuff; only the first album which was bland.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2012, 02:15 PM   #46
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Overrated, but definitely helped define my early 20s, and definitely features some absolutely infectious songs.

Someday is probably the song I have the best memories of.

btw is "New york city cops" even on the US version??
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2012, 07:33 PM   #47
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I like the first album a lot but gave up after the second one. They obviously weren't a band with that much to say and it felt like they'd said it all on This is It. Fave track is Barely Legal.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2012, 03:02 PM   #48
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
room on fire was nothing like as good as Is This it, the first song it was class though, whatever it was called.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2012, 03:04 PM   #49
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Overrated, but definitely helped define my early 20s, and definitely features some absolutely infectious songs.

Someday is probably the song I have the best memories of.

btw is "New york city cops" even on the US version??

they took it off because it came out around the time of the 11th of September. You can understand why, from a business/sensitivity perspective, but its still thoroughly shitty when record companies treat people like little kids like that.

Old 02.05.2012, 03:48 PM   #50
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't listened to much after Room on Fire.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2012, 10:43 PM   #51
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
they took it off because it came out around the time of the 11th of September. You can understand why, from a business/sensitivity perspective, but its still thoroughly shitty when record companies treat people like little kids like that.

Oh yeah I remember.
Old 02.07.2012, 04:05 AM   #52
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
The End has No End.

forgot that i heard most of these songs at the time. gave up after this album.

whether you like em' or not, you have to admit they had a big impact on the 2000's. probably more so fashion wise. how many people do you know started wearing leather jackets after they became huge.

i'm not a huge fan, just diggin em' lately. if they disappeared tomorrow i wouldn't give a fuck, but Is This It was amazing when it came out. anything to make the kids dance instead BREAKING SHIT!!
i feel the same about this band. their "diehard fans" irritate me to death.. i mean WHY??
Old 02.07.2012, 04:36 AM   #53
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I have heard only few songs from the Strokes, but i think it´s the same thing like with White Stripes. I mean Jon Spencer Blues Explosion started the whole thing and those others got then lot more success than JSBE.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2012, 06:28 PM   #54
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Honestly, I know they're nothing alike really, but out of all the garage rock upstarts of the early millennium, White Stripes take the cake. The Strokes are like their pets... that's how much better they are. Not even the same species.

Still, Strokes have a knack for writing songs that stick with you and define time periods. I really don't understand how and why their popularity took such a dive.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd been the biggest band in the world. Instead they're New York Ghosts.

At least they're better than Interpol.
Old 02.07.2012, 06:31 PM   #55
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
i don't believe this at all. i don't think the White Stripes or The Strokes gave a fuck about Jon Spencer. maybe they heard of him, but those two bands have not a whole lot in common with Spencer; who bordered on parady most of the time and went along with the 90's.

loved the Blues Explosion way before Strokes and The Stripes showed up, but never thought that.

maybe it's the blues and the strip down instrumentation that does it? Jon Spencer reminds more of Pavement and Beck more than those bands.

The John Spencer Blues Explosion argument doesn't hols water; you're right. A lot of people like to say the Stripes are JSBE derivatives, but they weren't. Two different sounds. JSBE was more about psychedelic garage rock than they were about the blues. The Stripes had an honest to god, genuine blues feel and vibe, and it didn't sound derivative or redundant.

The Stripes had energy, bite, skill (at least Jack did), and turns out they had actual pop sensibilities. That's why they were the biggest radio band of the 00's... aside from Coldplay and Nickelback lol.
Old 02.07.2012, 06:55 PM   #56
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

The reason Interpol got so poor was cos of his voice. With a voice like that you need to be able to write at least semi-poetic lyrics, but i honestly think he's one of the worst lyricists ive ever heard.

Old 02.07.2012, 06:56 PM   #57
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

This is nice, its like im 16 again!

Old 02.07.2012, 07:24 PM   #58
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

That was probably the last big "trend" that wasnt significantly pushed by the internet, in the UK at least, so it really does feel like an alien time to me now. I bought Is This It? in Tescos for crying out loud.

Old 02.07.2012, 09:07 PM   #59
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
yeah, but The Stripes didn't kick in until Elephant, but The Strokes blew their load with Is This IT.

Negatory. All their albums rule.
Old 02.07.2012, 09:17 PM   #60
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
i don't care what anyone says. Elephant is fucking great, might listen to it later.

THERE'S NO HOME FOR YOU HERE.

Absolutely no argument here.

Some might be so caught up with being "edgy" that they can't recognize the brilliance of a band that went from being underground to getting Grammy nods and SPIN covers. I am not one of those people.

For a long time I didn't want to like any band that sounded anything like Led Zeppelin, because I hated Led Zeppelin (because I had just finished loving them and made a giant about-face) lol!

NEway, I think the Stripes are freaking great. The Strokes may have had a knack for melodic post-new-wave Velvety pop, but the White Stripes actually ROCKED. I swear, there is more energy in the first three notes of "Dead Leaves..." than in the entire Strokes or Hives catalog.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth