Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page South Park vs. Muslim Extremists....again.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.22.2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
You gotta love Matt Stone, and Trey Parker...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...fatwa-muhammad

Quote:
South Park censored after threat of fatwa over Muhammad episode

Extremist group's death warning leads TV network to censor 201st episode, to fans' dismay

South Park, the animation created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, is well known for its satirical attacks. Photograph: Ric Francis/AP

They have depicted the Queen blowing her brains out after a failed attempt by the British army to reinvade America, Saddam Hussein as Satan's gay lover, and Jesus as a trigger-happy superhero. Mormons, Scientologists, Catholics, Jews, politicians and film stars have all been skewered on the razor-sharp wit of South Park.
Now the caustic animated satire appears to have reached its limits within the confines of mainstream US television. Fans and pundits alike were taken aback last night when an episode featuring the prophet Muhammad purportedly dressed in a bear costume had bleeps and "Censored" blocks slapped liberally throughout to remove all audio and visual reference to the prophet.
The censorship followed a warning from a New York-based group of extremist Muslim converts that could be construed as a death threat. The group, through its website Revolutionmuslim.com, had reacted to last week's episode of South Park which first depicted Muhammad dressed as a bear by saying its originators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, "will probably wind up like Theo van Gogh".
To underline the point, the website carried a picture of Van Gogh, the Dutch film-maker killed in 2004 after he made a documentary on the abuse of women in Muslim countries, with his throat cut and a knife in his chest. They also listed the New York headquarters of Comedy Central, the cable television channel that broadcasts the show, and South Park's production company, adding: "You can pay them a visit at these addresses."
In the aftermath of the show's censorship, the chatrooms on South Park's website hummed with the indignation of its fans. "Do you seriously think that will appease the extremists from more terrorism?" one wrote.
As controversy raged, Comedy Central confessed that it was responsible for the cuts. "I can't go into the thinking behind it, but I can confirm it was Comedy Central that inserted the bleeps and not South Park," a spokesman for the station said.
The apportioning of responsibility will come as a relief to devotees of the animation, who have grown accustomed to it treating nothing and nobody as sacred.
The Muhammad furore began last week in the show's 200th episode when the creators introduced the character as a riff on censorship. The joke was that Muhammad was dressed as a bear because he could not be shown as a cartoon in the wake of death threats made against Danish cartoonists by Islamist extremists, who see any depiction of Muhammad as a gross insult to their religion.
In the storyline, the prophet was brought into the show on the demand of previous victims of its satire, led by Tom Cruise, who believed that he could make them immune to further ridiculing. In this week's episode, the bear costume was unzipped to reveal that Santa Claus, not Muhammad, had been inside all along.
This was the second time that South Park had taken on the prophet as a subject. In 2006, soon after violent protests erupted against the Danish cartoons, Stone and Parker produced a double episode that featured the prophet and was also censored by Comedy Central.
In that case, however, there was no pickup from Islamist groups. The latest controversy has cast the light on Revolution Muslim, a group of probably fewer than 10 extremists based in New York who hand out leaflets outside the moderate 96th-street mosque.
It was founded by Yousef al-Khattab, a former secular Jew born Joseph Cohen who ran a bicycle pedicab in New York until he relocated to Morocco. He is shown in one photograph on the site carrying a machete with what look like suicide bombs strapped around his waist. The group has a record of making extremist statements, which it tempers with disclaimers that it is nonviolent to avoid legal trouble. One member, Younus Abdullah Muhammad, told CNN last year that the 9/11 attacks had been justified.
At other times, its website has called for wrath to fall "on the Jewish occupiers of Palestine. Please throw liquid drain cleaner in their faces."
"Many groups would be afraid to act like this for fear of arrest, but they clearly don't care," said Yehudit Barsky of the American Jewish Committee, which monitors the group.
Revolution Muslim put out a long statement in which it insisted that it was in favour of a rational dialogue with non-Muslims. But it accused South Park of having mocked the prophet, and cited Islamic scholars who ruled that "whoever curses the messenger of Allah must be killed".
Abdullah Muhammad, 30, defended the web posting by his group to Reuters.
"How is that a threat?" he told the news agency. "Showing a case study right there of what happened to another individual who conducted himself in a very similar manner? It's just evidence."
It is not clear whether Parker and Stone will feel the need to show they are unbowed by returning to the Muhammad theme next week. They are famous for putting the show together at the last minute to make it sharply topical.
But the controversy could deepen. Fans of the show on Wednesday posted in chatrooms on South Park's websites several Muhammad cartoons that would be far more offensive to Muslims than the animation itself. They included a drawing of Muhammad crying in a baby's nappy and saying: "Stop it! You hurt my feelings.""
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
fucking assholes and their fetish for Mohammed. they really want to suck his flea-ridden asshole HARD. fucking stupid extremist fucks. HATE THAT SHIT
so stupid. I want to start a massive campaign where we post pictures of Mohammed (actually just shots of Ron Jeremy assfucking a tranny with a caption pointing to ron jeremy labeled MOHAMMED)
and see what that does for their fucking sensibilities.

I HATE how more people are not up in arms about this bullshit. everyone is scared of terrorists but pretends not to be. fucking liars. so many asshoels actually defended the people who put a death threat on the dutch newspaper that printed those editorial cartoons

I mean, look at these irrational fucks. just fucking go die already and choke on your fucking bullshit religions

Old 04.23.2010, 08:58 AM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some fatwas around before placing one on Rob Instigator again.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 09:02 AM   #4
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
after speaking to a young muslim of my age, he told me the extremists take it way too far: muslims aren't allowed to show muhammed, but it shouldn't be a problem for non-muslims, since they are of a different religion. DUH.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is true ploesj. However, like many christians, many muslims do not distinguish between what is prescribed for their belief and what they feel is prescribed for ALL to believe.
fucking assholes.

fuck all their shit.
Old 04.23.2010, 09:21 AM   #6
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 09:34 AM   #7
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Ron Jeremy deserves better!!! Now Cheney ass-fuckin Dubya would be a better fit don't ya think?
Old 04.23.2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

but cheney looks so damn surly. at least ron jeremey enjoyed hisself
Old 04.23.2010, 11:36 AM   #9
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
FUCK RELIGION.
anyone who propagates it at this point in history is a fucking twat.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 12:56 PM   #10
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
for the most part, people who get offended about anything need to grow the fuck up.

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 01:15 PM   #11
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Alternative interpretation: an easy way to get publicity for a lame cartoon.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

also easy way to get publicity for a lame religion. think about that.
Old 04.23.2010, 01:46 PM   #13
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
also easy way to get publicity for a lame religion. think about that.
Done.
Almost everyone in Europe has heard about Islam (for historic reasons).
Almost everyone in the USA has heard about Islam (Irak, Afghanistan).
South Park is far below on the fame level.
Old 04.23.2010, 01:52 PM   #14
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but cheney looks so damn surly. at least ron jeremey enjoyed hisself

that's because you never seen him behind closed doors...

Speaking of Cheney raise your hand if you think he accidentally shot Harry Whittington on the hunting trip.
Old 04.23.2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Done.
Almost everyone in Europe has heard about Islam (for historic reasons).

but we are not talking mainstream Islam here. we are talking about extremists pushing a middle ages rhetoric.
and frankly, most people (50%+) in the USA know jack shit about islam other than it exists.
Old 04.23.2010, 02:26 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Re-instate the Caliphate, I say.

We should definitely get rid of religions on the basis of a ridiculously small fraction of them being pricks. Fuck it, let's kill everyone on that basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Alternative interpretation: an easy way to get publicity for a lame cartoon.

Lame cartoon? More like one of the best examples of widely-known, modern American satire there is. They're on their 14th season, and still kicking ass. I hope South Park sticks around for at least another decade.

Sure blows the hell out of some of the cartoons worshipped around here...a la The Simpsons.

Quote:
Done.

This is clearly an overstatement. Apparently you don't know Americans very well.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2010, 02:42 PM   #18
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking about Van Gough when I saw this title.
http://img407.imageshack.us/i/04110350242theovangoghals6.jpg

Most Americans do not realize how powerful some speech is. To question others religion is to chip away at what they have built up as sacred.

The murder of Van Gogh was really ballsy. He was after all in his own country.
Old 04.23.2010, 02:43 PM   #19
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

fuck the "sacred"
Old 04.23.2010, 02:49 PM   #20
gualbert
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Lame cartoon? More like one of the best examples of widely-known, modern American satire there is. They're on their 14th season, and still kicking ass. I hope South Park sticks around for at least another decade.

Sure blows the hell out of some of the cartoons worshipped around here...a la The Simpsons.
To me, all they do in SP is swearing (it fits with the current thread), but I never watched an episode entirely..
And I love the Simpsons, but I won't argue, it's a matter of taste.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth