Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Perverted by Language: Fiction inspired by The Fall: Fiction Inspired by the Fall
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2007, 07:47 AM   #1
sarramkrop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perverted-La...1129422&sr=1-1

Mechanical ducks, shark women that taste of liquorice, perverted sexual shenanigans in cramped office spaces, double-crossing Nazi apologists, bald-headed cultural subversives and celebrity deer-culling - this is just a glimpse into the wonderful and frightening world of Perverted by Language. Twenty-three writers choose a song by The Fall and use it as inspiration for a short story. Kicking off with Niall Griffiths' scalding take on the 1978 single, "Bingo Master's Break-out", the book culminates with Rebbecca Ray's devilishly saucy take on "I Can Hear The Grass Grow". This work is published in association with the inaugural Manchester International Festival (28 June-15 July 2007), the world's first international festival of new work, created by leading artists from across the spectrum of popular culture, innovation and music.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Did anyone read this? Or Mr Smith's own book? Been on a pretty strict book-buying regime at the moment so haven't had a chance to pick up either.
Where is Mr Priest these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2008, 03:47 PM   #3
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
oh man, definitley getting this. perverted by language is prolly my favorite records by them, who are so close to my all time faovrite band (with the velvets, stooges, half japanese, and royal trux).
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2008, 04:13 PM   #4
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
ive read about this...
I myself am very influenced by MES, because he takes a fairly ordinary situation and expands the possibilities of what is going on, not just through the lyrics in particular, but the music also reflects the ambience of whats being said. Perverted by Language is my favourite Fall album too, but im cynical as to how people could draw influence from a Fall song and write fiction? Because Most Fall songs ARE fiction, and when i write things i get alot of influence from music - recently Spiderland by Slint was the stimulus for an entire story that expanded far beyond how i had originally seen it.
Happy birthday Porkmarras by the by

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2008, 06:04 AM   #5
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i gotta pick this up at some stage.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth