Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sun City Girls are Wacked and Wonderful!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2008, 09:21 PM   #61
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
you should DL because most of the albums are out of print. and some of them go for 60-70$.
Yeah, the albums I saw at Amoeba were expensive, at least for me, at around twenty bucks each. But I can't find their shit online to DL, either.

Any one help me out here?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 09:59 PM   #62
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
http://experimentaletc.blogspot.com/...-pt1-8495.html
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 10:13 PM   #63
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
http://experimentaletc.blogspot.com/...-pt2-9506.html

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2008, 10:22 PM   #64
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
some sir richard bishop albums
http://flyguydiedance.blogspot.com/s...richard+bishop

Old 03.23.2008, 11:22 PM   #65
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Truly you are men of worth.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2008, 07:00 AM   #66
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
sorry to correct you, but they started in the early 80's.

I know this, but I can think of better bands from the 80's.

So, since they existed in the 90's as well, I called them best band of the 90's.. see what I'm saying?

Now that I think about it, I guess I didn't really use it in proper context.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2008, 10:32 AM   #68
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I am.. actually, me and Booe (trombonist for Robe/Scissor Shock) just had a really long conversation about Cerberus Shoal and Gastr del Sol, because the new Scissor Shock songs I'm writing have a very distinct similiarity to those bands.

Old 03.25.2008, 02:54 PM   #69
mykol
empty page

mykol has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
thanks to you guys I have discovered this awesome band. just listened to 'Valentines..' on the basis that everyone said they didnt like it much because it was jammy. thats my kinda thing and i loved it, so should i get self tilted or another earlier release?
mykol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2008, 07:33 PM   #70
fugazifan
invito al cielo

get all of em. S/t is great though.
i didnt like valentines, not cause it was jammy but because it sound like shit. the guitars make too much noise and you cant hear CG's drums at all. there are some amazing songs towards the end though (amazing because you can differentiate between the instruments)

Old 03.25.2008, 11:31 PM   #71
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I am.. actually, me and Booe (trombonist for Robe/Scissor Shock) just had a really long conversation about Cerberus Shoal and Gastr del Sol, because the new Scissor Shock songs I'm writing have a very distinct similiarity to those bands.

awesome, can't wait to hear them.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2008, 02:04 PM   #72
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://www.furious.com/perfect/charlesgocher.html

Excellent and somewhat pissy (?!? -- you'll see what I mean) tribute to Charles Gocher.

Also, I emailed the SCG about me covering their music and they gave me their blessing. Excellent. I'll post it on this thread when I finish it.

Old 04.03.2008, 07:20 PM   #73
fugazifan
invito al cielo

Quote:
http://www.furious.com/perfect/charlesgocher.html

Excellent and somewhat pissy (?!? -- you'll see what I mean) tribute to Charles Gocher.

Also, I emailed the SCG about me covering their music and they gave me their blessing. Excellent. I'll post it on this thread when I finish it.
i just read that like two days ago. very intereting read.
and tht is too cool that they replied!

Old 04.11.2008, 07:21 AM   #74
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'm going to the brothers unconnected tour stop in chicago.

Old 04.11.2008, 10:13 AM   #75
fugazifan
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm going to the brothers unconnected tour stop in chicago.
i emailed them asking if there is any chance ghat they will ever make it to israel, but i told them that i figured that they wont cause of all their anti israel lyrics
alan bishop email back and said the expected that they will not be coming here.
o well
they are now my favorite band in the world.
yesterday i DLed
kaliflower
flute and mask and
jacks creek

listening to kaliflower-so good.

atsonic park. i am interested in hearing your opinions on their albums. any chance that you'll do and album by album review like you did with fahey? if you already did then sorry for asking.
in a few days ill also do one maybe, even though you have heard way more than me

Old 04.11.2008, 10:31 AM   #76
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, they're my favorite band too.

A few pages back, I talked about all the ones I'd heard at the time. I've since heard everything except a few of the casettes.. which I'll eventually get... if you have soulseek, add user Edweena .. he has just about everything.

Hahah I could one day talk a little in depth about all the releases, but I'll say my favorites are:

Box of Chameleons (128 tracks; a perfect primer and document of everything the band does well)
Horse Cock Phepner (fully-realized and brilliant in every way)
Borungku Si Derita 7" (just one of the best singles)
330,003 Crossdressers (moreso disc one than two, but... I honestly think if they'd cut the jammy/fillerish stuff from this disc, it could've really caught on and been a huge success amongst people; not that that notion ever really appealed to the Girls.. but anyway, all their best songs are on here)
Torch of the Mystics (duh)
CFR Radio (again, disc one is better, though disc two has a 14 minute poetry reading; it's a radio broadcast of Sun City girls playing a bunch of song snippets from other artists, their own music, them making noise in the studio, them just talking.. hilarious and fascinating.. they cover the Batman theme!)
Country Music from the World of Islam (I'm not sure what the origins of this is right now -- I think it was a casette release. Anyway, very very eclectic sounding stuff with almost no jamming or filler. Even though there are very few fully-realized songs, the songs here seem like sketches of what could have been classics... it's a very fascinating listen)
Carnival Folklore Resurrection 14: Static From The Outside Set (kind of like Radio but even better. Lots of jokes, cover songs, original songs.. including Sir Richard Bishop's amazing "Djano-ized"... spoken word stuff.. really, the whole thing is just fascinating stuff.. it wouldn't seem like it, but it's definitely worth listening to over and over)

The CFR series has a few hits but is usually not all that interesting unless you're primarily interested in Sun City girls's dicking around and making up stuff for hours. Which is good when the mood's right but not something you'll want to listen to versus their more refined stuff.

The casette series, what I've heard, is really fascinating stuff, really energetic, a lot of it reminds me of the Residents in a way actually, specifically commercial album era.. just short, crazy songs.. never last long enough to get on your nerves...

One of my favorite releases is a release called FOR DRUMMERS ONLY that was packaged with the decent Piano Bar.. it's almost all percussion, of course... Gocher is an extremely talented and underrated drummer with a really crisp sound...

Almost every album on suncitygirls.com's "main discography page" listing is worth getting in my opinion. Of the albums you just mentioned, I definitely dig Flute and Mask the most.

As far as solo albums go, Sir Richard Bishop's output is all great, but I'd definitely get "Salvadore Kali". Alvarius B's "Blood Operatives of the Barium Sunset" is probably one of the best albums ever made, but his split with Cerberus Shoal is also great.

Also worth looking into is Cerberus Shoal themselves, because all 3 Sun City Girls are actually on the last song on the album "Chaiming the Knobblesome". Cerberus are of a similiar Middle Eastern musical kick but way more complex, abstract, and ... it's like prog rock without any of the clichés (well, the first couple of albums are more like post rock but by Mr. Boy Dog, they started getting REALLY eclectic; there's an accordian on almost every song too). Also, if you haven't, look into all the Secret Chiefs 3 stuff.

It's weird, I first heard Torch of the Mystics 5 years ago. I really liked it but not so much that I'd investigate their work any further... because their discography is intimidating, to say the least. About 9 months ago, I played it for my friend and I was like "holy fuck I should get more" and I never looked back. At first, I was like, "okay, I'll only get the main albums" and then I got all the live albums and then... yeah. Again, it just kind of creeps into your skin after a while.

Amazing band. Even though not all of their 100+ releases is great, they're all at least interesting.

Old 04.11.2008, 10:38 AM   #77
fugazifan
invito al cielo

thanks, i was interested in hearing.
later ill write a few words about them...
i gotta go to dinner now

Old 04.13.2008, 11:49 AM   #78
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

the tape he put out last year was also superb.

tape? what title is that? i'm a bit of an SCG completist, and this is news to me.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2008, 06:30 PM   #79
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, my Death it lies alone between the seeds of 7 mangos, amidst a yellow patch of shrubbery where a couple Civets tango. And a droplet and a dollup dance decrepit dumplings deadly where a bobcat peers around the swag to listen to the medley -- and it's 5, 4, 3, 2 fingers up the neck of Django in a yellow patch of shrubbery where a couple Civets tango.

My heart is only honest in a town of 3 tomorrows where yesterday is flavored and the way is never sorrow, sippin' on a straw plugged into 7 lucky mangos amidst a yellow patch shrubery where a couple Civets tango -- -- and it's 5, 4, 3, 2 fingers up the neck of Django in a yellow patch of shrubbery where a couple Civets tango.

Old 05.12.2008, 10:15 PM   #80
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

And here's a purposefully off, low fi, low pitched, cover/tribute to sun city girls.

scissor shock - blue mamba.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y7i8zb

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth