Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Meeting Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.23.2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Mildred Pierce
little trouble girl

Mildred Pierce ain't too shabby
I thought i start a thread about meeting SY... I met them infront of Paradiso Amsterdam every year they play (unfortunatly they won't come this year).
The last time was 30 august of 2004, I was waiting with a friend of mine infront of Paradiso, I made a big painting (1 meter by 40 cm) (I don't know that in inches) Of Thurston Moore playing the guitar and out of the guitar I painted a lotta collors, suddenly the band walked by and I said: Hey Thurston, I got a present for you, he said: I will come to you in a minute. He kept his word and I gave him my painting and he loved it he even joked that he couldn't take it with him in the plane but he invited me backstage after the gig, my mate Rik Kaez gave him his own music (www.rikkaez.com)
Thurston said that he received some nice things and we responded that it was his birthday, we all laughed and he went inside Paradiso again. Great concert and after that I had a few drinks with Sonic Youth. Great evening!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/judyandthecrackheads
Mildred Pierce is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 02:33 PM   #2
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildred Pierce
I thought i start a thread about meeting SY... I met them infront of Paradiso Amsterdam every year they play (unfortunatly they won't come this year).
The last time was 30 august of 2004, I was waiting with a friend of mine infront of Paradiso, I made a big painting (1 meter by 40 cm) (I don't know that in inches) Of Thurston Moore playing the guitar and out of the guitar I painted a lotta collors, suddenly the band walked by and I said: Hey Thurston, I got a present for you, he said: I will come to you in a minute. He kept his word and I gave him my painting and he loved it he even joked that he couldn't take it with him in the plane but he invited me backstage after the gig, my mate Rik Kaez gave him his own music (www.rikkaez.com)
Thurston said that he received some nice things and we responded that it was his birthday, we all laughed and he went inside Paradiso again. Great concert and after that I had a few drinks with Sonic Youth. Great evening!!!!

wow
are you sure that you didnīt dream?
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Mildred Pierce
little trouble girl

Mildred Pierce ain't too shabby
I did not dream, it was all real!
Mildred Pierce is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 06:23 PM   #4
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i met thurston at this years SXSW. but all i could really say was "whoa! you're you!" i shook his hand, cried, then got him to do an ID for the radio station i work at.

that was a beautiful moment.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the tall one in the bookshop at the RFH before the 'legendary' Goodbye 20th Century gig in London. I decided I didn't have anything to say, so it was better not to make a dick of myself, and walked off to buy a delightful CD of music by, if memory serves, Morton Feldman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 06:45 PM   #6
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i made a total dick of myself, but that's okay. it was worth it.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 06:53 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, at that point I was sober and all too aware of how many times in the previous year I had woken up regretting gushing at someone... for me it's usually better not to meet yr heros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 07:00 PM   #8
Unmade Bed
children of satan

Unmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to beholdUnmade Bed is a splendid one to behold
WTF?!!, Mildred Pierce you make me so jealous
I only have been close to thurston 2 months ago and thats all, and he was on stage, that makes me more jealous

Unmade Bed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 08:15 PM   #9
flophousefloozie
expwy. to yr skull

flophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's assesflophousefloozie kicks all y'all's asses
i'm feeling fairly envious... one day i'll have my turn. YOU'LL SEE
flophousefloozie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 01:22 AM   #10
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Haven't met them yet, but I will be meeting them @ The Orange Peel show on June 17th. I even messaged Steve @ SY's myspace asking him if it would be alright to meet them after the show.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 09:53 AM   #11
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I hate you all. In an admirable sort of way.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 03:56 PM   #12
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I'm wicked jealous of Mildred Pierce too. The only thing I ever said to any member of the band was "sure" when Thurston excused himself as he squeezed by me to get to the stage. I was too nervous to say anything else. But then again anything else would be superfluous and unnecessary. I also had a chance to say something to Lee in Boston back in '04. He was walking around the audience while the opening band was playing their set (I think it was the Magik Markers again) and taking pictures. I just stood nect to him a couple feet way to his left and just stood their staring at him in a very nondiscreet way. Can you tell I haven't been around a lot of famous idols? I regret not saying anything. Even a simple "hey, how's it goin?" would have been something.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 05:50 PM   #13
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
marley- damnit, if only i could go. my dad said "i'm not taking you anywhere near asheville".
Old 05.27.2006, 05:54 PM   #14
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Agghh, I'm sorry to hear that schizo. Well, the important thing is that you'll be getting to see them in general, aren't you?
-George Carlin
Old 05.27.2006, 06:32 PM   #15
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I met Thurston, Kim, and Lee 2 years ago at concert in Glasgow, Scotland.

I met Thurston twice, actually. I was waiting outside the venue for SY to arrive for soundcheck. I was late, but Thurston was later. I see a cab pull up and he comes out, and seems to grow right in front of me. He's just tall. He was like an hour late so he couldn't stay.

After the gig I waited around and met Thurston again, but I don't think he remembered me. He seemed drunk or something, talking to no-one in particular about the sex pistols. He signed my Daydream Nation.

A while later, Kim and Lee came out and I talked to them and got my DDN signed. That was nice. I also talked to SY's bodyguard or something. He was a big black dude. Good times.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 06:56 PM   #16
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
i made a total dick of myself, but that's okay. it was worth it.

Sounds like my experience meeting Thurston.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 07:38 PM   #17
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
According to the Wire article, "Or" is about how Thurston doesn't like when people can't think of anything to say except "When are you playing? How long are you touring?" Advice for those of you who will be lucky enough to meet them [again].
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 07:39 PM   #18
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
konxville 2000
we were all waiting in the back of the place and we could see them in the windows about 2 or 3 stories up walking around. at one point jim has an umbrella shaped like a frog so he stuck it out the window and twirled it for us. then a bit later some body guards(?) started to throw brocolis and brownies at us and yelling at us. latetia from stereolab felt bad for us so she hung out the window with some kind words and threw more food at us but more as an offering. then lee came out hoping to get into the bus immediately but hesitantly walked over to us. he was very nice tho and i got a pic with him!

yeah i tend not to enjoy meeting my heros b/c the whole fanboy thing is really annoying. i got to meet nels cline in nashville on the watt engine room tour. we talked at the bar then he invited us backstage(a very tiny room to the left of the stage. we talked more and he even let me play his beloved 59 jazzmaster. he was very very nice and i of course was a total dork.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2006, 08:34 PM   #19
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Agghh, I'm sorry to hear that schizo. Well, the important thing is that you'll be getting to see them in general, aren't you?

i'm still not sure. i don't like pearl jam, so i really don't want to play 50 bucks to just see the yoof open for them. i want them as the headlining act, damnit.
Old 05.27.2006, 08:41 PM   #20
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

It is an amazing atmosphere when they're headlining. & especially in The Orange Peel. It just feels more like a gig than a "concert", because of it's small capacity & layout.
-George Carlin

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth