Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2014, 07:47 PM   #841
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Good. I do too. I consider Watch the Throne one too, because he put his all into the songs he produced and wrote beats for, and it opened him up lyrically. It also seems to fill a crucial space between MBDTF and what followed.

Plus, it doesn't get much better than Kanye & J.

Btw: NR was it you who was talking about the new Roots album the other day?

If so I just want to point out that I have grown EXTREMELY fond of it, and I think it's one of the best hip hop albums of the year, and maybe the Roots best album.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2014, 07:52 PM   #842
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Oh also Madlib just released ROCK KONDUCTA 1+2, and I picked that double disc with bonus tracks up day before yesterday.

I never listened to the LP's, so I'm feeling like I've got a whole 2˝ new album's worth of Madlib to rock through.

I love how be pulls samples from the weirdest cult and psych rock artists; he should have focused a bit more on '80s proto hardcore, because that just would have made for some killer beats, but sticking with the usual bottom of the crate gems works in rock as well as it does in hip-hop.
Old 08.02.2014, 02:51 PM   #843
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
WTT feels more like a Kanye album than a Hov album.

It was me who mentioned the new Roots album. It's their best in a decade I think. Not their best ever. But it is really great.

all my fav Madlib stuff is YNQ-related.
Old 08.03.2014, 12:15 PM   #844
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
WTT feels more like a Kanye album than a Hov album.

It was me who mentioned the new Roots album. It's their best in a decade I think. Not their best ever. But it is really great.

all my fav Madlib stuff is YNQ-related.

Call me stupid but I don't know what you're referring to.

My favorite Madlib stuff is all over the place. The Beat Konducta 1+2 was one of my fav albums ever for a while. I love everything, from Lootpack's dope Soundpieces: Da Antidote, to Pińata. He's almost as good as Dilla
Old 08.03.2014, 02:57 PM   #845
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
YNQ = Yesterdays New Quintet

YNQ eventually branched out into Yesterdays Universe, which is a huge family tree of related 'bands.' There's albums by the various YNQ 'members' like Monk Hughes, Ahmad Miller, Joe McDuphrey, etc. And then there's full on projects like The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble, Sound Directions (my fav), and the list goes on and on and on.
Old 08.04.2014, 06:13 PM   #846
noisereductions
invito al cielo

every time I listen to Reasonable Doubt, it's better than the time before it.
Old 08.04.2014, 09:23 PM   #847
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
YNQ = Yesterdays New Quintet

YNQ eventually branched out into Yesterdays Universe, which is a huge family tree of related 'bands.' There's albums by the various YNQ 'members' like Monk Hughes, Ahmad Miller, Joe McDuphrey, etc. And then there's full on projects like The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble, Sound Directions (my fav), and the list goes on and on and on.

Yeah, sorry I realized that and forgot to mention it. I'm not familiar with all of those, other than YNQ and Sound Directions (also one of my favorite Madlib releases ever).

I also like his production for strong arm steady. But I think my favorite Madlib releases have been Lootpack's Soundpieces: Da Antidote, one of the best hip hop albums ever made if you ask me, and Quasimoto's The Unseen.

"Come on Feet" should be acknowledged as a significant and influential precursor to the footwork music movement. It's one of my favorite hip hop instrumental tracks ever, and it creeps me out big time, which is good. Footwork has the same effect on me, and I think it's one of the more inspired sub-genres to emerge from electronic music in recent years.

Damned if I don't think Madlib can almost be credited with its unintentional invention.
Old 08.04.2014, 09:27 PM   #848
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm glad you got Sound Directions. That album blows my mind hard.

I never really got into Quas stuff that much. Maybe I'm missing out?

Honestly, most of my fav Madlib stuff is jazz-oriented though. Be it the YNQ stuff, or his Shades Of Blue or the Mind Fusion stuff or the Advanced Jazz records. Ugh. Dude's just got such great taste in jazz.
Old 08.04.2014, 11:19 PM   #849
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm glad you got Sound Directions. That album blows my mind hard.

I never really got into Quas stuff that much. Maybe I'm missing out?

Honestly, most of my fav Madlib stuff is jazz-oriented though. Be it the YNQ stuff, or his Shades Of Blue or the Mind Fusion stuff or the Advanced Jazz records. Ugh. Dude's just got such great taste in jazz.

Wait, you've never heard the Unseen?

... Forget the Further Adventures of Lord Quas for now, and the early singles and Yessir Whatever (most of which is just early singles/b-sides/rarities.... But you NEED to hear The Unseen. It's absolutely essential listening for any fan of Madlib... Any fan of hip-hop even. I can't say enough about it. Honestly I'm shocked that you haven't heard it and ENVIOUS of the fact that you get to hear it for the first time; which is one hell of an experience.

It's eerie as all hell. Go listen to it man. You deserve it.
Old 08.05.2014, 05:07 AM   #850
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i know Fiona has a large variety of elements in her music, from alt rock to jazz to pop.. but the more i listen to Tidal, the more i think it should be recognized as soul music.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2014, 09:09 AM   #851
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
"I listen to as much Top 40 as I listen to noise tapes. Pop music—especially really popular pop music—is as visceral as noise. When a pop song comes on, you feel something. I was just in the car and that Eminem/Rihanna song ["Monster"] came on—[sings] "I'm friends with the monster that's under my bed!" I was like, "Whoa! Hold the car! Hold it!" My world was spinning. I couldn't see straight. It's the same thing when I'm seeing [noise artist] the Rita play in a basement in Vancouver. You're like, "What is going on? Where am I?" You go blind for a second. It's totally sacrilegious to put the Rita and Rihanna in the same sentence, but I don't care because they give me the same feeling in a different way."

- Zola Jesus
that quote could basically be applied to any form of music, whether it be pop, rock, soul, jazz or noise, that grabs you. it isn't necessarily pop music's effect on everyone, it's pop music's effect on a listener who enjoys pop music. pop and noise aren't the only two genres of music that can disorient the listener.

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2014, 09:45 AM   #852
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok listen up folks. The following new releases are so totally worth buying. Some more than others but all are pretty freaking good.

Common- Nobody's Smiling (not his best album, but the first one I've bothered buying in a while. I'm definitely into it, and it think it will grow on me more as time goes by.

THE UNDERACHIEVERS- CELLAR DOOR: TERMINUS UT EXORDIUM- This may be the year's best hip hop album yet. For 13 tracks, AK & Issa Gold just don't freaking stop killin' it. The pace of this album is unbelievable, and it goes harder than anything else we've heard this year.

Guilty Simpson & Small Professor - Highway Robbery: WHY HAS IT TAKEN ME MONTHS TK BUY THIS? I didn't even realize that the fucker came with AN ENTIRE ADDITONAL ALBUM called "Land of the Crooks" by Sean Price & M-PHAZE!!! It's two dope ass independent hip hop albums for the price of one, and it features some tight guest appearances, especially from BOLDY JAMES whose 2013 album "My 1st Chemistry Set" was one of my favorite hip hop records of the year.

2 for the price of 1, and Guilty Simpson's album with Small Professor is fucking incredible. I forget how excellent an emcee Guilty is because I'm only really familiar with his guest spots on other records... But he's more than qualified to run the show. Small professor is on the lookout too. Talented as fuck, or so it would seem.

Dillon Cooper - Cozmik (mixtape) from 2013 but whatever... Shame on is for not catching it sooner. This kid has some serious chops. Listen to his shit.
Old 08.08.2014, 11:26 AM   #853
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
the Drake vs. Lil Wayne tour looks like it's gonna be amazing.. http://vimeo.com/101274325 - that promo video by CAPCOM. i hope their battles are gonna bring the best in Wayne.

a new C5 single (also featuring Drake) is dropping today! i'm hyped.
Old 08.08.2014, 12:11 PM   #854
louder
invito al cielo

here's a snippet from Kanye's Robocop vid: http://vimeo.com/100345873

reminds me of Stanley Kubrick, seriously. i'm upset he never released it.
Old 08.08.2014, 01:07 PM   #855
louder
invito al cielo

Lil Wayne X Drake - Grindin

OUT NOW: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0HoP0fO3ui4
Old 08.08.2014, 01:08 PM   #856
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 08.09.2014, 07:10 PM   #857
Severian
invito al cielo

Has anyone bothered to listen to "Nobody's Smiling"?? I thought this place was like seething with Common fans. I have been back and forth on the dude since he started being in Queen Latifah movies and commercials for ITunes (or whatever it was... The one with Afrika B. that was so corny.

But the new album is surprisingly solid! I would have preferred a guest spot of two from Ye, (maybe instead of Big Sean... Who hasn't come through in my book. I'm actually surprised that Kanye isn't anywhere to be found on the album. Did I miss something? A beef?

Anyway, it's good.

In the past two weeks I've had my ass kicked by new records from The Roots, Common, Guilty Simpson & Small Professor, Shabazz Palaces, and above all fucking else, THE INCREDIBLE FIRST PROPER ALBUM FROM BEAST COAST REPRESENTAS THE UNDERACHIEVES whose Brainfeeder debut drops officially on 8/12!!

If you're bored, sick of the same old shit, or feel as though you're interest in hip-hop may be waning, pick up this motherfucka the day it drops.
It's serious shit.
Old 08.10.2014, 02:56 AM   #858
louder
invito al cielo

i skimmed through Common's singles, didn't like the sound he was going for.
Old 08.10.2014, 08:50 PM   #859
noisereductions
invito al cielo

did you guys see Wu-Tang on Jon Stewart? Man, I still absolutely adore "Triumph."
Old 08.11.2014, 01:49 AM   #860
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Common's music has always been too intellectual/sociopolitical for my tastes. He's sort of like Immortal Technique. I respect both artists' talent, but given my general taste in rap, I'm not their demographic.

I did check out Nobody's Smiling though. As expected, it was well-written and produced, but failed to grab me on a personal level. Not my style, unfortunately. Diamonds is a cool track, and I enjoyed the hook and girl singing on Blak Majik.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
404142 43 44454653 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth