Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic 2009
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.24.2008, 12:53 PM   #21
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Many thanks Moshe, good to hear Made In USA is getting reissued, and more interesting is the ' Soundtracks Series VOL. 1 ' part, meaning we can expect other volumes and other soundtracks (Demonlover etc) to appear? Can anyone tell me what exactly the spinhead sessions were?

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 01:04 PM   #22
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphi
And don't forget the SENSATIONAL FIX book + 2x7" !

I thought it was already released in 2008.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2008, 04:32 PM   #23
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i already have "made in the usa", so i will have to check out what extras there are before i think about buying it again.

the only reissues of the albums i bought is the "daydream nation" one. i still can't get myself to spend 30 bucks a piece for the "dirty" or "goo" deluxe editions.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2008, 04:53 AM   #24
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i already have "made in the usa", so i will have to check out what extras there are before i think about buying it again.

the only reissues of the albums i bought is the "daydream nation" one. i still can't get myself to spend 30 bucks a piece for the "dirty" or "goo" deluxe editions.

well Dirty is worth to check it out. 2nd. disc contains interesting, bit different versions of Dirty songs.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2008, 04:55 AM   #25
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Chris Habib - More Hair Less Bush (DVD, Ecstatic Peace)? - ?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2008, 05:01 AM   #26
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
Chris Habib - More Hair Less Bush (DVD, Ecstatic Peace)? - ?

http://www.citypaper.com/arts/story.asp?id=16108

Byron Coley / No More Bush Tour

Rarah
Byron Coley

By Marc Masters

Byron Coley is best known as a pioneering rock critic for Spin, The Wire, and the legendary Forced Exposure. But he's also been writing poems for decades, often for a journal edited by longtime friend Thurston Moore. In 2003, Coley and Moore led a revolving tour of poets and musicians ranting against the Bush administration, dubbed "More Hair Less Bush." Now, as George W. Bush's departure looms, Coley has concocted a sequel--"No More Bush"--with another cavalcade of artists who "honk the horn of freedom with both hands." Said honkers include guitar wizard Jack Rose, noise magician Karl Bauer (aka Axolotl), and avant-folk duo MV/EE, along with poets such as Valerie Webber and Charles Plymell. Coley also adds new participants at each stop, from Mike Watt to Loren Connors to Damon Krukowski. When No More Bush hits Tarantula Hill on Friday, Aug. 8, exclusives will include local poet Roxie Powell.
City Paper: How did the first tour arise, and why did you decide to do it again?
Byron Coley: Thurston and I were talking about how much we hated Bush. [laughs] And we got the idea of doing some shows where we make fun of Bush. Now, since Bush will be gone soon, we thought we should get our last licks in. So it's a celebration of what we hope is the end of this era. Also, traditionally in the last season of a presidency, people start to feel nostalgic, regardless of how much they hate the guy. So we want remind people never to forget [how bad it's been]. But the vibe of the shows tends to be pretty convivial. It's usually 10 to 20 minutes per reading and 20 to 25 minutes per musical set. I encourage people to give it their best for a short period of time. Rather than try to set up and sustain a mood, let's blast a mood out there, see how high we can get it, and then stop.
CP: Do you suggest any particular political content?
BC: I don't tell people what to do--I just tell them how long they can do it. But there's some material specifically made for this. Valerie, Thurston, and I write this pre-haiku form of Japanese poetry called tanka. Usually we pick a band and write reviews of their full discography in tanka form, but this time we took George Bush's iPod playlist, and we wrote tanka about that. Those poems are really mean. Thurston wrote some Laura Bush stuff that made my jaw drop. [laughs]
I personally was so upset early in this decade by what was going on that I wrote a lot of anti-Bush and anti-Cheney poetry, much of which was of a very graphic sexual nature, but wildly unattractive. I've got a poem about some Iraqis who go inside a cave, and it turns out to be the interior of Dick Cheney's penis. That's always a crowd-pleaser when I can pull it off.
CP: How did you get John Morton [former member of legendary Cleveland noise punks Electric Eels] involved?
BC: [At the time of the first tour] he was living in Brooklyn, and 9/11 affected him deeply. He and I traded a bunch of poetry online, and he did some unbelievable "Fuck Bush" tanka. So we had him perform at Tonic in New York, where he read, played, and then disrobed. This time, he's going to play guitar and theremin in a duo with Bill Nace, and read more anti-Bush tanka. But I never know for sure which way he's going to go. A lot of the performers are like that. We had Gary Panter read in New York, and he read a passage from the Canterbury Tales in an old English accent, really fast. People were pretty baffled. This time, in Philadelphia, I think I've convinced Charles Burns to pull out his "Johnny 23" routine, which is kind of his Burroughs tribute. When he used to do it in San Francisco, he would go up on stage in a mask with a tape recorder hanging around his neck with cut-up poetry on it, and he'd alternate reading and playing the tape.
CP: How do you think being a writer has been affected by the recent political climate?
BC: The weirdest thing is how Americans are viewed internationally. You're expected to prove that you're not part of the ruling party before people are willing to give you any kind of access to stuff. I've noticed that especially when I travel abroad. Also, people here have seemed to be toning stuff down, because there is a Big Brother feel to things. It seems all you have to do is use a particular combination of keywords, and suddenly you're no longer under the radar. Have you felt that at all?
CP: Yes, but I was also thinking about how print has changed, especially in the underground. Could there even be a Forced Exposure now?
BC: Well, the music industry is on its way out. They made some decisions in the 1990s that were suicidal. They never understood the value of good packaging as a value-added kind of thing, rather than something disposable. And when they got rid of that, they lost the ability to sell something as a commodity. A magazine like Forced Exposure could exist any time, though. I don't know how popular it would be, but you just need a couple of knuckleheads in their 20s to do it. It's the kind of thing you can do for a while, and then you either burn out or you become a parody of anything interesting that you were doing initially.
CP: Do you think it's weird that there's not more political stuff happening in the writing and music compared to, say, the Reagan years?
BC: It is bizarre. The Reagan thing was so overwhelming, but in retrospect he seems much more benign than the current guys. I think people just feel beaten down by the inevitability of what's going on now. At the same time, the manipulation continues to get more and more sophisticated. They play these patriotic cards in weird ways that seem to be very effective. Anything you say against a politician is painted as a personal attack on some high school dropout in Iraq. Anybody would feel bad for that guy, but I'm not the one who sent him there.
The media machine is just so sophisticated and instantaneous that it makes it difficult to get traction with an alternate narrative. There are some that do--[Stephen] Colbert, [Keith] Olbermann. But they're sort of the loyal opposition. They're predictable and acceptable as rage valves. There's not much going on right now that's really random and freaks people out. When you go back and look at the Weather Underground or the Days of Rage, those were crazy, unpredictable events that really shook people up. Because it was not clear what they wanted or what they were even against. It's really hard to do something that surprising now--to do anything that a computer has not already predicted.
Old 12.25.2008, 06:21 AM   #27
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Sounds good.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2008, 08:16 PM   #28
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
My constitution is ready for some new Sonic Youth medicine this year, I am hopeful it might even be a cure

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2008, 08:21 PM   #29
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
2 DVD in one year ?
Are you serious ?
Man, it's Sonic Youth, not U2 or the Red Hot !!!

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2008, 08:46 PM   #30
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
A Daydream Nation live DVD would ****ing rock.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2008, 06:18 AM   #31
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
im just glad that they decided to record again and hopefully more art will proceed i mean i loved rather ripped for what it was but damn

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2008, 08:18 AM   #32
Moshe
Super Moderator

http://www.johnagnello.com/index.php?sitesection=news

It's a full on Christmas time!
Hey everyone, I hope this posting finds you well. This has been a crazy end of season. I haven't posted since mid November and it seems like I haven't had a spare moment to even think about it.

Where to start! Well in mid-November, I started working on the new Sonic Youth record. We started tracking at the wonderful, Echo Canon West, the band's recording facility. We have been working in short 2-3 day stretches and we are now breaking for Christmas. The album is now taking shape and will be awesome. I love working with them. It's crazy being in the same room with them when we're doing playbacks! I will have more updates
Old 12.26.2008, 08:21 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2008, 05:15 PM   #34
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
(Coughs)

Uhm....hey...baby...I'm like...really tall and stuff.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2008, 05:51 PM   #35
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Far out

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2008, 07:36 PM   #36
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2008, 02:24 PM   #37
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Moshe!!

Man, I can't wait for that Lee solo action....the Thurston, Jad Fair, and Eye cd should be pretty cool too.
Old 12.28.2008, 11:03 AM   #38
Moshe
Super Moderator

added:

* Zeitkratzer - (cd featuring collborations with Lee and Jim, Zeitkratzer Records)!
Old 12.29.2008, 12:19 PM   #39
emmebr25
little trouble girl

emmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's assesemmebr25 kicks all y'all's asses
atsonicpark: ghost whisperer... ghosts are very lucky. or not?
emmebr25 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2008, 07:23 AM   #40
to.w
children of satan

to.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's assesto.w kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmebr25
yes, but what is Spinhead Sessions?

"Spinhead" is also a 16-minute instrumental piece they made during the Madi in USA sessions. I found it on the web a few years ago!

myhand.thanx records
to.w is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth