Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Hypothetical situation
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.30.2021, 11:42 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
(I may have posted something like this already in my previous incarnation on this board, so Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before)

Suppose SY are to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They want the band to perform a few of their best known songs, but at least two of them ("Kool Thing" and "Bull in the Heather") require Kim Gordon's presence (in theory they could do "Teen Age Riot" without the her intro).

Does Kim put her feelings aside for one night for the sake of giving the fans one last chance to see the band perform as a whole? Or does she decline, and the band decides to do an all-Thurston set (Lee's songs are pretty much unknown outside the band's fanbase and none of them were released as singles)? Or do they decline to perform, and Thurston and Lee (or Thurston and Steve, or Lee and Steve) just stand at the podium and give a generic "thank you for this honor, rock on" type speech?
Old 01.31.2021, 06:12 AM   #2
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
My prediction: Kim would refuse through a combination of distaste for Thurston and the anti-punk nature of the existence of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. At least one of Lee and Steve would decline, saying that they wouldn't be willing to perform without her. After the introductory speech (delivered by Thom Yorke), Thurston has to go on stage. He makes a short, awkward speech, including a very brief mention of how unfortunate it is he can't be joined by his band, and slinks off sidestage as the surviving members of Soundgarden prepare for their induction.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2021, 03:20 AM   #3
matmosphere
little trouble girl

matmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's asses
Meh, who cares. If the R'N'R hall of Fame hasn't put them in yet I don't know why they ever would.

Honestly though, I'd rather not see a partial reunion for something like this. I'd say all or nothing, and if that isn't going to happen then fine.
matmosphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2021, 06:30 AM   #4
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
The Spice Girls will reunite and do a medley of SY songs from the Silver Sessions EP

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2021, 07:54 AM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
The Spice Girls will reunite and do a medley of SY songs from the Silver Sessions EP
this
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2021, 10:11 PM   #6
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2021, 05:10 PM   #7
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
My prediction: Kim would refuse through a combination of distaste for Thurston and the anti-punk nature of the existence of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Not exactly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWyssLVyKY
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2021, 06:37 PM   #8
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
I have seen that, yes. You can probably argue that that's more 'doing a favour for a friend', though, especially considering how well-linked she was with them.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2021, 07:23 PM   #9
matmosphere
little trouble girl

matmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's assesmatmosphere kicks all y'all's asses
I agree with Choc e-Claire, I think the Nirvana thing was probably more about an opportunity to pay tribute to a good friend.

I just can't bring myself to be concerned about who is and isn't in that place. Cool to see the exhibits, and read some history but other than that whatever. It appeals to the part of me that likes to read books about bands or would stay up all night watching Behind the Music marathons. But I don't go to a museum (and that is basically what it is) and worry about who the curators think are good artist. That's not what it's about. I go look at the art, appreciate it and enjoy it.

I get why we have something like a sports hall of fame, but art isn't as quantifiable as athletic achievement. That's really why the R'n'R HOF thing doesn't make sense to me.

So my real question though is, Why is Kim always the one excluded from this scenario. If the rift is between her and Thurston, why is it automatically assumed she would be the one left out.

I'm gonna say this, and I'm sure it will be controversial, but IF I had to see a partial reunion I would much rather see Kim, Lee and Steve without Thurston because Lee and Kim sing a lot of the songs I'd love to see live again. Not that Thurston doesn't too though so kind of a catch 22.

seriously though, if they never reunite I'm okay with that. They are all making great music still, and it's refreshing to see them doing some different stuff.
matmosphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2021, 10:24 PM   #10
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Kool Thing and Bull In The Heather are both seriously subpar Sonic Youth songs anyway. Although I do agree that a Lee song Would be the perfect scenario for this. His songs are the best anyway. Because he’s the best. Also the rock ‘n’ roll Hall of Fame is a dinosaur institution and who cares? The only reason I would ever go there to see John Cipollina’s amplifier in person
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2021, 10:27 PM   #11
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmosphere
So my real question though is, Why is Kim always the one excluded from this scenario. If the rift is between her and Thurston, why is it automatically assumed she would be the one left out.

It's not really that people are singling her out to remove her from this (vastly implausible) scenario, it's that among former Sonic Youth members she's been the one who has most decisively discarded the possibility of a reunion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmosphere
seriously though, if they never reunite I'm okay with that. They are all making great music still, and it's refreshing to see them doing some different stuff.

AMEN, thank you. We seem to be in the minority on that here...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 02.04.2021, 10:29 PM   #12
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The only reason I would ever go there to see John Cipollina’s amplifier in person

QMS in the house!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth