Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore & Sonic Youth in June's issue of Mojo Magazine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.20.2007, 05:15 AM   #1
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
June's issue of Mojo Magazine lists "100 records that changed the world". Every record is reviewed by some artist (some of them I've never herard of though, I mean who the hell is Fionn Regan who reviews Neil Young's Everybody Knows....?)

Sonic Youth' Evol is ranked at #85, with Stuart Braithwaite from Mogwai saying:
<<
EVOL has a real immediacy to it - they were at the peak of their innovation, marrying this experimentation to a total pop sensibility. You get an errie beauty to something like Shadow Of A Doubt which is all down to their open tunings and harmonics.
Expressway To Yr. Skull is mind-blowing - that 'free noise' thing is a huge influence on Mogwai. For our first 10 rehearsals that's pretty much all we did.
They took something from the work of Glenn Branca and others, but they changed the way a lot of people make music - you can see their impact on so many groups, from obvious followers to Radiohead. even Neil Young. I went to Reading Festival in 1991 - I was 14, my big sister took me - and they closed with Expressway. That made me want to be in a band.
>>

Without this no ... Nirvana, Mogwai, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine

Then the Ramones selftitled album is at #22, with Thurston saying this about it:
<<
I was 18 and my father was dying. My family had been travelling back and forth, to and from the hospital, and I can remember stopping off at a record store. I stared at this album the whole way home thinking, What can these guys possibly sound like? It was kind of a morose scene around our house. I put the Ramones on and all my aunts and uncles and my mom and my sister got up and they danced to the whole record, whooping it up and letting off all this emotion. I was sitting there on the couch thinking, This is not what I expected, I expected something like a Stooges or an Alice Cooper record - something somewhat nefarious - but this struck right to the heart of feeling good. After that, I played it once or twice a day for over a year. I learned how to play guitar from it, and wrote a song called I'm Not Gonna Mow The Lawn No More. The Ramones were as much an alternative to punk rock as they were to the mainstream. Punk had this slovenly, fucked-up image, but here was this precision, sandblasting, no-frills rock'n'roll. There was diligence in the performance and the look, and beneath the humour there was a pathos in the lyrics. It's hard to say where rock music would be without the Ramones
>>

Without this no ... "Onetwothreefour!!"

Top 5 is:
5. Kraftwerk - Autobahn
4. Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin'Bob Dylan
3. Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
2. The Beatles - I Want To Hold your hand
1. Little Richard - Tutti Frutti

I haven't got a clue how they compiled this list. I mean the Libertines are ranked at #92. Who the fuck are the Libertines ??!! And Green Day's Dookie is at #95.... WTF?

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2007, 05:19 AM   #2
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
wow, libertines are garbage and my opinions on Green Day are too angry to relay here (let's just say I resent the "defining" band of my generation)
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Without this no ... Nirvana, Mogwai, Dinosaur Jr., My Bloody Valentine

No Dinosaur? That's stretching it a little far.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2007, 09:50 AM   #4
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I like the libertines, no matter what you think of Pete (and who doesn't) he is one hell of a songwriter
Old 05.20.2007, 11:29 AM   #5
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't Dinosaur start before Evol?

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.20.2007, 11:50 AM   #6
lizzarddd
bad moon rising

lizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-festlizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-festlizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
I haven't got a clue how they compiled this list. I mean the Libertines are ranked at #92. Who the fuck are the Libertines ??!! And Green Day's Dookie is at #95.... WTF?

libertines are a british band, they're good buti wouldnt put them on a "changing the world" list
lizzarddd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Clap once
empty page

Clap once has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I don't want to encourage Libertines discussion but... Libertines are quite possibly the most popular british band (in britain) since they came out, they've done that thing that universally great bands seem to do reallly really well... convince ordinary and casual individuals with little interest in music to pick up guitars and start bands for themselves, and to pursue their new found interest in music.

And i'm not even a fan! But it's clear in the Underground in britain just how much of an influence the Libertines have been.
Old 05.21.2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap once
I don't want to encourage Libertines discussion but... Libertines are quite possibly the most popular british band (in britain) since they came out, they've done that thing that universally great bands seem to do reallly really well... convince ordinary and casual individuals with little interest in music to pick up guitars and start bands for themselves, and to pursue their new found interest in music.

And i'm not even a fan! But it's clear in the Underground in britain just how much of an influence the Libertines have been.

Ordinary people with little interest in music should not be in bands. It's quite clear that has been their influence, though- it would explain how many shit bands are coming out of Britain these days.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 01:24 PM   #9
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
The Libertines (and i say this as an english person) suck giant ass all day for minimum wages. I'd rather listen to Boyzone that the libertines.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 02:34 PM   #10
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
Didn't Dinosaur start before Evol?

yea they did. I remember reading in that Our Band Could Be your Life Book that after they toured with SY dino jr listened to EVOL in their van and were practically brought to tears by how good it was.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2007, 02:55 PM   #11
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 02:58 AM   #12
SonicSam
children of satan

SonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's assesSonicSam kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
wow, libertines are garbage and my opinions on Green Day are too angry to relay here (let's just say I resent the "defining" band of my generation)

Come on, first 2 green day albums are classic.

SonicSam is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2007, 09:28 AM   #13
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
um, btw- nice essay by thurston. is it already out here in the states? i must hit up some newstands...
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2007, 05:24 PM   #14
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
it's almost June so you could probably find it in stores now. But it's probabnly the worst issue of Mojo I've ever bought, not much worthwile in it. Haven't listened to the CD yet though, that looked pretty good.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2007, 01:06 PM   #15
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
i checked yesterday, barnes & noble didnt have it yet.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth