Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The ideal Sonic Youth venue?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What would be your chosen Sonic Youth venue?
In a pub 6 7.59%
In a club 10 12.66%
In a concert hall 6 7.59%
In a stadium 0 0%
In a forest 14 17.72%
In a cave 20 25.32%
In a train station 5 6.33%
In an art gallery 3 3.80%
In your house 12 15.19%
Somewhere else, let me tell you 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.22.2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Seems like an interesting topic...

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I think the acoustic dynamics of a cave would be very interesting...

Old 03.22.2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Nice thread. I had a hard time between Cave, forest, and concert hall, but it would be really different to have a concert in a cave, plus it will impact the sound due to echoes.
Old 03.22.2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Nice thread. I had a hard time between Cave, forest, and concert hall, but it would be really different to have a concert in a cave, plus it will impact the sound due to echoes.

But the noise! The Youth could make it brilliant in a cave, I think. Once they'd adjusted to the dynamics they could manipulate them, toy with them like a kid with a train set. The Youth can do anything, in my opinion.

Old 03.22.2006, 11:31 AM   #5
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
But the noise! The Youth could make it brilliant in a cave, I think. Once they'd adjusted to the dynamics they could manipulate them, toy with them like a kid with a train set. The Youth can do anything, in my opinion.

Sorry, my post was a little ambiguous. I was referring to why I would prefer a cave over the other two haha. It would create the perfect environment for a noise band to play
Old 03.22.2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Sorry, my post was a little ambiguous. I was referring to why I would prefer a cave over the other two haha. It would create the perfect environment for a noise band to play

Sorry, I misread! I was choosing between forest and cave too - the forest would be nice, picnic and wildlife and all that, but the cave would be interesting. It's strange that I would associate different artists with different venues:

Sonic Youth: a cave (or maybe forest)
Aphex Twin: A ruined church
The Fall: A big underground WWII shelter
Foo Fighters: as f*&^ing far away from me as f*&^ing possible.

Old 03.22.2006, 11:40 AM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
You're really enjoying this poll thing aren't you Hip Priest!

I've gone for the cave thing cause I like the idea of SY concerts being events rather than just gigs. If that wasn't going to happen, London places I'd like to see them play are the Royal Albert Hall, the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern or Somerset House.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Sorry, I misread! I was choosing between forest and cave too - the forest would be nice, picnic and wildlife and all that, but the cave would be interesting. It's strange that I would associate different artists with different venues:

Sonic Youth: a cave (or maybe forest)
Aphex Twin: A ruined church
The Fall: A big underground WWII shelter
Foo Fighters: as f*&^ing far away from me as f*&^ing possible.

That would be pretty sweet with Aphex Twin in a Church! The part of me that was going for forest was becasue of the new tour, and seeing the flaming lips play in a forest with Sonic Youth ...amazing!

On the contrary, one of the most interesting concerts ever IMO would be Hair Police, Wolf Eyes, Comets on Fire, and Sonic Youth in a cave
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 01:41 PM   #10
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
They should play with the Flaming Lips, Wolf Eyes, Aphex Twin, and Comets On Fire in Disneyworld.
Old 03.22.2006, 01:47 PM   #11
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I want to see Wolf Eyes play in my bedroom. Or at the mall.

Sonic Youth would be sweet inside a cave only playing pre-85 songs.
Old 03.22.2006, 01:57 PM   #13
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
HAHAHAHA. I want to play the Super Bowl and sing 'I always feel like. Somebody's Watching ME!!!!!'

I want a giant noise-fest to play the mall. Or a kiddie carnival.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:02 PM   #14
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I want a giant noise-fest to play the mall. Or a kiddie carnival.

little kids are more likely to like noise than the common folk. but an appearance by mothers against noise is imminent. even if that just means andrew wk dressed in drag
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:07 PM   #15
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
little kids are more likely to like noise than the common folk. but an appearance by mothers against noise is imminent. even if that just means andrew wk dressed in drag

I always wondered whether Mothers Against Noise was a joke or not. Apparently there were some of them at the SY, Hair Police, Wolf Eyes concert last year, but judging by the content on their website makes me question their existence.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:11 PM   #16
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
spin made an article where they discovered that the ip (or something, like that, some computer hacking thing) of m.a.d. was tracked down to the island/def jam servers, which is andrew wk's label. also, the only one's that supposedly saw the mothers in action were, as you pointed out, we, hp and sy; and the only ones to ever talk about were wolf eyes, who are like best friends with andrew wk and thurston plays (or played?) with awk in to live and shave in la, so chances are they are in the joke too.

but seeing as it was on spin fucking magazine...
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 02:13 PM   #17
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I want to play "She's my Cherry Pie" in a bakery.

It's most likely AWK. No one seriously talks like that, the crap on MAN.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:18 PM   #18
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

My friend's band did an Andrew W.K. Cover.

Rhys was going to rip the video from the streaming for me I think and then I could post it. It was phenomenal.
Old 03.22.2006, 02:24 PM   #20
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
If you're going for a forest it has to be at night, maybe with fog.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth