Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2016, 04:17 PM   #241
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, let's face it... The Beatles didn't do much innovating on Let it Be. Yes, they recorded Abbey Road-- an astonishingly innovative record through and through-- after Let it Be/Get Back, but they ended their career with a very straightforward and traditional rock album. It's still considered a classic, among the best albums of all time, but it was just the Beatles jamming. Being the Beatles.

Who says a Kanye record that was "just Kanye being Kanye," rapping and throwing around beats, wouldn't be a necessary part of the Kanye West story? The problem is that it makes me wonder if the end isn't near for Kanye in one way or another.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2016, 04:51 PM   #242
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I don't think sev will like this RS article...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...album-20160202

This is kinda funny to me. The fact that you say I won't like this article. What about you and louder? Back in '12 you guys were THE reason I moved out of that "I only like 808's and MBDTF," hipster-friendly phase and became a full time hardcore serious-as-a-heart-attack Kanye fan.

I still consider louder to be the big Kanye guy around these parts.

Does this mean you think I'm the big Ye-head now? Do I get a crown?!

Seriously though- you guys got me into Kanye. How do YOU feel about the article?
Old 02.03.2016, 05:18 PM   #243
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
lulz. I knew if I posted it w/o saying ANYTHING it would drive you crazy haha.

Basically I thought that it was actually a well thought out article for the most part. I expected click-bait, but it was reasoned and was written by someone who seemed to know his discography well (and actually admired it deeply).

I also thought, like you, that so what if this isn't some genre-inventing epic life-changing event? So what if it is just - gasp - an album of really good songs?

I also also thought that it may even be going overboard by suggesting that this won't be a great album based on the four songs referenced.

I will give the writer this, though: a lot of the stuff that came out or leaked before the final tracklisting ("Awesome," "Only One," "FourFiveSeconds") felt like they would have been a really interesting and possibly cohesive album (I believe the writer referred to them as "beatless") and I really would have been interested to see what that album would have been. As we've discussed prior, a perfectionist like Yeezy no doubt scraps entire albums fairly often. So...
Old 02.03.2016, 05:27 PM   #244
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
suckas scrap albums because they hear new shit from tha streets that blows their tired ass old shit out the water, so they get scared and have to re-do their shit to try and one-up the cats who are doing it from the GUT.

Seen it a million times.
Old 02.03.2016, 05:32 PM   #245
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
lulz. I knew if I posted it w/o saying ANYTHING it would drive you crazy haha.

Basically I thought that it was actually a well thought out article for the most part. I expected click-bait, but it was reasoned and was written by someone who seemed to know his discography well (and actually admired it deeply).

I also thought, like you, that so what if this isn't some genre-inventing epic life-changing event? So what if it is just - gasp - an album of really good songs?

I also also thought that it may even be going overboard by suggesting that this won't be a great album based on the four songs referenced.

I will give the writer this, though: a lot of the stuff that came out or leaked before the final tracklisting ("Awesome," "Only One," "FourFiveSeconds") felt like they would have been a really interesting and possibly cohesive album (I believe the writer referred to them as "beatless") and I really would have been interested to see what that album would have been. As we've discussed prior, a perfectionist like Yeezy no doubt scraps entire albums fairly often. So...

Yeah, I'm interested in the whole "Beatless" thing too. But because it's Kanye, you really can never tell what fate awaits a song. He originally wanted Jay's "Holy Grail" on Watch the Throne! Ended up having no part in the final recording whatsoever. Also "Pinnochio Story"-- which, for a while, really seemed like the fan-favorite love song-- never got a studio release, while other tracks popped up more than a full year before their album ("So Appalled").

So there might be a place for those tracks yet. Really, the only thing we can reasonably expect from Kanye is the unexpected. We originally throught Yeezus was going to get a sequel almost immediately. We thought WTT would be an EP. So, you really never know.

I think there's a future in the sound used on "Only One" and "Four-Five Seconds"... They offered something new. I'm hoping he keeps them in hand for a future project, and explores that sound more.

Also the author failed to include Watch he Throne or Cruel Summer when referring to Ye's discography. If 6 albums in a row is unprecedented, then 8 means Kanye's already paid every due imaginable, and he should be free to just make any kind of music he wants to make without all this expectation being heaped upon his every move.

Sad to see that Wiz's accusations of Ripping off Max B appear to be sticking.
Old 02.03.2016, 05:52 PM   #246
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Max B speaking on Kanye's album title situation from jail:
Quote:
"It's all love. I appreciate it," he said. "I'm flattered that dudes is even acknowledging the situation. Everybody know I'm an innovator. Everybody know I got imagination. I come up with these words and these slogans and these catch phrases and it's all good when the people follow suit. I like Kanye, I appreciate it. I love it, thank you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ws7er3Aj2E

So Wiz made a lot of fuss about nothing. Sweet.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2016, 05:55 PM   #247
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
That article had some interesting points, but doubting Kanye is so 2015. At this point I'm convinced it'll be a classic.. Kanye says a lot of shit but if there's one thing about him that you can't doubt it's his music. He seems very confident and proud of what he's made. I've never heard Gospel influence on a rap album before. He's gonna stream the album live to theaters around the world.. it has to be huge.
Old 02.03.2016, 06:15 PM   #248
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also, let's face it... The Beatles didn't do much innovating on Let it Be. Yes, they recorded Abbey Road-- an astonishingly innovative record through and through-- after Let it Be/Get Back, but they ended their career with a very straightforward and traditional rock album. It's still considered a classic, among the best albums of all time, but it was just the Beatles jamming. Being the Beatles.

Who says a Kanye record that was "just Kanye being Kanye," rapping and throwing around beats, wouldn't be a necessary part of the Kanye West story? The problem is that it makes me wonder if the end isn't near for Kanye in one way or another.
I honestly don't think the Beatles "influenced" anyone so much as the way they influenced Jerry Garcia, to pick up music and start bands. In regards to their "sound" i just don't hear any significant influence as you can with other more overt sonic pioneers.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2016, 07:38 PM   #249
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
so Future's new album is called EVOL. :|
Old 02.03.2016, 07:42 PM   #250
louder
invito al cielo

It was already announced two years ago: http://www.lovebscott.com/music/futu...g-evol-mixtape

I hope it's great. Been waiting for a project from Future that truly fulfills his potential.
Old 02.03.2016, 07:44 PM   #251
louder
invito al cielo

..which reminds me that Wayne once wanted to drop an album called "DEVOL" too: http://hypetrak.com/2013/05/lil-wayn...w-album-devol/
Old 02.03.2016, 07:55 PM   #252
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Weird.

I really dont know Future.
Old 02.03.2016, 07:57 PM   #253
louder
invito al cielo

This song is gonna be on it: https://soundcloud.com/theweeknd/low...ure-the-weeknd

Low Life feat. The Weeknd
Old 02.03.2016, 09:42 PM   #254
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I honestly don't think the Beatles "influenced" anyone so much as the way they influenced Jerry Garcia, to pick up music and start bands. In regards to their "sound" i just don't hear any significant influence as you can with other more overt sonic pioneers.

There are no "more overt sonic pioneers" than the Beatles. You can hear their influence everywhere, from Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd to Nirvana to Spoon to Vampire Weekend, across genres (the Grey Album ushered in the modern mixtape generation; DJ Koze used Sgt. Pepper's as an inspiration and blueprint for his opus Amygdala) and generations.

No offense man, but here's the truth of it: if you "can't hear" their influence, you're deaf.
Old 02.04.2016, 06:13 AM   #255
louder
invito al cielo

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21287-islah/

8.5, wow.

And he's predicted to do 80,000 first week, a great number for today's standards, without Internet buzz or promotion.

Always makes me happy to see good music winning.
Old 02.04.2016, 10:56 AM   #256
louder
invito al cielo

Everyone check this out:

KING - We Are KING

Definitely my album of the year so far. Pitchfork's score (which was positive but not high enough to really get those girls 'buzzing') doesn't do it justice.. it's like neo soul meets shoegaze and every moment is a hook, truly one of the most unique and captivating albums I've heard in a long time.
Old 02.04.2016, 11:14 AM   #257
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
There are no "more overt sonic pioneers" than the Beatles. You can hear their influence everywhere, from Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd to Nirvana to Spoon to Vampire Weekend, across genres (the Grey Album ushered in the modern mixtape generation; DJ Koze used Sgt. Pepper's as an inspiration and blueprint for his opus Amygdala) and generations.

No offense man, but here's the truth of it: if you "can't hear" their influence, you're deaf.
Zeppelin is influenced by pure blues, i don't hear any Beatles in it. Not only were Floyd also clearly influenced by blues and soul, they clearly pioneered their OWN sound. Indeed be more specific. What chord structures, melody patterns, song patterns did Beatles TRULY innovate that other bands weren't already doing? Provide specific examples because frankly I'm not sure you can.

I am well aware that i am expressing an almost sacrilegious opinion BUT i honestly think people don't understand what "influence" means in the context of music theory.

I also mean NO DISRESPECT to the Beatles, i again mentioned i DO believe they are one of the most influential bands of all time HOWEVER as i said, i believe their influence is not in regards to the actual music but rather in influencing and inspiring other musicians to experiment and development their OWN original sounds and theories.

Do you play music? I been playing guitar for 15 years now.. i can "hear" as well as "add up (according to theory) the direct influence of a lot of bands, i just honestly don't hear it in Beatles music.

Old 02.04.2016, 01:06 PM   #258
noisereductions
invito al cielo

fucking awesome:

Quote:
Deftones have announced a new album, Gore. The followup to 2012's Koi No Yokan is out April 8 via Warner Bros. Today, they premiered "Prayers/Triangles," on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 Radio Show.
Old 02.04.2016, 02:51 PM   #259
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
fucking awesome:
FUCK THE FUCK YEAH. They been working on it and they debuted some of the material on their tour last summer so this record should fucking kick ass!

I just hope theyactually put it out and don't lag, for some reason they always delay release because of post production issues

Old 02.04.2016, 06:46 PM   #260
louder
invito al cielo

http://pitchfork.com/news/63352-eart...hite-has-died/

Sad, a big legend. RIP.
101112 13 1415162363113 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth