Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page XFM Top 1000 songs of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Blue Eagle
empty page

Blue Eagle has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
British radio station XFM have been counting down what they have called the top 1000 songs of all time (voted by listeners). The top 100 were announced and played yesterday. There's obviously a very British influence in the final 100, and disappointingly not a single Sonic sound. Tbh, there's not a lot outside of the last 20 years, which reflects their listening audience. My personal favourite would have to be The Clash - London Calling.

100 Kings Of Leon - The Bucket
99 Athlete - Wires
98 MGMT - Time To Pretend
97 Doves - Pounding
96 Bloc Party - Banquet
95 Oasis - Rock 'N' Roll Star
94 Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
93 The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
92 Coldplay - The Scientist
91 The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again
90 Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure
89 Feeder - Just A Day
88 The Jam T- hat's Entertainment
87 The Stone Roses - Waterfall
86 Oasis - Cigarettes And Alcohol
85 Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
84 Green Day - American Idiot
83 The Stone Roses - She Bangs The Drums
82 David Bowie - Heroes
81 Kasabian - Empire
80 Manic Street Preachers - A Design For Life
79 Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
78 The Who - Baba O'Riley
77 Oasis - The Masterplan
76 Bloc Party - Helicopter
75 Coldplay - Clocks
74 The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
73 Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
72 Foo Fighters - Everlong
71 Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance
70 Kaiser Chiefs - I Predict A Riot
69 The Kooks - She Moves In Her Own Way
68 The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black
67 The Jam - Going Underground
66 Elbow - Grounds For Divorce
65 Oasis - Supersonic
64 Foo Fighters - The Pretender
63 Oasis - Slide Away
62 The Beatles - A Day In The Life
61 The Killers - Somebody Told Me
60 Kasabian - Fire
59 New Order - Blue Monday
58 Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness
57 Coldplay - Fix You
56 Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent
55 The Jam - A Town Called Malice
54 Snow Patrol - Run
53 Doves - There Goes The Fear
52 The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
51 The Killers - When You Were Young
50 The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
49 Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
48 Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down
47 David Bowie - Life On Mars
46 Coldplay - Viva La Vida
45 The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
44 Arctic Monkeys - Mardy Bum
43 The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored
42 The Beatles - Hey Jude
41 Muse - Starlight
40 Radiohead - Creep
39 Pulp - Common People
38 Queens Of The Stone Age - No One Knows
37 Kasabian - L.S.F.
36 The Stone Roses - Fool's Gold
35 Blur - Song 2
34 The Who - My Generation
33 Stereophonics - Dakota
32 Radiohead - Paranoid Android
31 The Smiths - This Charming Man
30 Muse - Time Is Running Out
29 The Smiths - How Soon Is Now
28 The Clash - London Calling
27 The Libertines - Time For Heroes
26 Kasabian - Club Foot
25 The Strokes - Last Nite
24 Muse S- upermassive Black Hole
23 The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
22 Oasis - Champagne Supernova
21 The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection
20 The Libertines - Can’t Stand Me Now
19 Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
18 The Killers - All These Things I've Done
17 The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
16 Muse - Hysteria
15 Coldplay - Yellow
14 Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
13 The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
12 The Libertines - Don't Look Back Into The Sun
11 Ian Brown - F.E.A.R.
10 Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
9 Muse - Plug In Baby
8 Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
7 Oasis - Wonderwall
6 Elbow - One Day Like This
5 Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire
4 Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
3 Oasis - Live Forever
2 Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor
1 The Killers - Mr Brightside
Blue Eagle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 08:32 AM   #2
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, is it even possible to make such a shitty list?
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 08:39 AM   #3
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eagle
There's obviously a very British influence in the final 100

Yes, but that's not even nearly the biggest problem, how dense must these people be to draw up a list of the greatest songs ever and your mind go fuzzy at the thought of music anytime before the past 2 years - EURGH! - I wish I could make money out of being fickle.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Blue Eagle
empty page

Blue Eagle has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I must admit this was a total let down to be honest. They were raving this up on the Radio, and I was expecting some proper all time classics. All we ended up with is a local indie disco set-list, with the odd decent song thrown in.
Blue Eagle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i'm glad i don't know what half of those songs sound like
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 10:04 AM   #6
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, The Killers no 1??????????
Old 01.04.2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
If I'd make a top 100 shit-songs list it would sort of look like that.
The Killers? Really?

REALLY?
Old 01.04.2010, 02:18 PM   #8
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
The depressing thing is that the kind of people who would vote for this colostomy bag of landfillstudentindiedrivel think that they're interested in music.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
They probably bitch about Pitchfork as well. Hang on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 02:56 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I see my vote for The Wonderstuff's Size of a Cow had little influence.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe the fact that this shit exists is only an indication that a portion of the British population didn't have to economise thus far. Perhaps with the price of a lot of things going up this year, drunken students (one random target of the severe budgeting going on) will think twice about smilingly chucking spare change in their bin-liners. One can only hope.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 03:21 PM   #12
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Well I see a small load of great songs(Smiths, Pulp, earlier Kasbian, The Libertines) but yeah most are crap.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I see my vote for The Wonderstuff's Size of a Cow had little influence.

I knew I'd rue plumping for Welcome to the Cheap Seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 03:25 PM   #14
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
11 Ian Brown - F.E.A.R.

Ok, you guys are batshit insane.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 03:28 PM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I once saw Bass Thing at Plaistow station. I'd never seen a pop star before. I asked him what he was doing here. He said he was going home. True(ish) story.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 04:24 PM   #16
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
If I'd make a top 100 shit-songs list it would sort of look like that.
The Killers? Really?

REALLY?

my thoughts exactly.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 04:27 PM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
lol the fact that 75% of those songs even made it in the top 100 songs....OF ALL TIME (might I add) made that list is unreal.

They probably just set a playlist of a 1000 songs to shuffle and just used them which ever way they sorted themselves out.

EDIT: (oh shit, just saw that the listeners voted. still shit.)
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 04:28 PM   #18
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I've never listened to XFM. If you want to listen to a real alternative radio station, then listen to Auckland's 95bFM.

http://www.95bfm.com/
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 10:33 PM   #19
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
They picked The Killers' "Mr. Brightside" as the greatest song of all time?!

I don't think I've ever felt more like Lisa Simpson's graph of intelligence vs. happiness...

AND they actually said Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" is a better song than Radiohead's "Paranoid Android"?!

Please, someone, I beg of thee, get these people out of broadcasting...
Old 01.05.2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Sure is a lot of "The" bands.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth