Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I don't know anyone would be interested in this.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.14.2009, 07:15 PM   #1
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Hi, does anybody think it'd be a good idea to, or interested even to give opinions on some music that is probably unfinished?

I know a lot of people switch off at this point but...
Basically my band and I did some recording over the weekend and got the mixes back today. I think I need to go back to finish them off properly, but it's probably the only thing I've done musically to come back that I haven't completely hated. If it's any deciding factor I'd say the Sonic Youth force comes through pretty strong in this one. But i'd rather not give away too much what i think about it and would rather some other opinions/perspectives before going back and committing to finishing it. The band is always teetering on the point of death but I think it'd be nice to maybe be able to put together a physical copy of something that's possible at half decent. However you might think differently or that work in progress shouldn't be put out on to a forum.

So I dunno, what do you think?

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'd say post it here. I'm happy to have a listen. I'm sure plenty of other people here will do the same. I would say, however, that I would never trust the opinions of most people here, except for myself and maybe two or three others, but that's very much me and my personal take.

If you're conscious of not putting it into the public sphere (as it were), feel free to PM me. I can only really comment on aesthetics though (and only that from my perspective) - if you're after recording tips, terminal pharmacy seems to know his shit inside out, and the lately absent Savage Clone knows the fuck out of it too.

I really, really wouldn't use this forum for recording tips though - those two and a handful of others excepted, it's pretty much shit-fi central here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2009, 08:06 PM   #3
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
thank you, mr Glice - that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and not recording tips persay. Though I wouldn't mind if terminal pharmacy or Savage Clone would like to put in their two cents.

I'll send a PM your way. In fact I think that's probably a better idea than wasting other peoples time by making them, kind of unconciously listen to it. if they don't want it. if that makes any sense.

So yeah, if anybody else would care to partake just say so and I shall PM you a link.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2009, 11:36 PM   #4
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
yeah send it through, i can always give you some mix tips and not necessarily input stage tips, little tweaks that are quite easy but you may not think of. also it is always good to get an opinion at an early stage and generally that is how i work all the time. but my music is generally written for completely different purposes than most on here. oh and it is as a general rule, if you know someone who can mix that hasn't heard much of your music before and will do it for free, get them to do some rough mixes, you may hear your music in a different light.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2009, 11:37 PM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
you blatant honesty is always specatular monsignor glice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'd say post it here. I'm happy to have a listen. I'm sure plenty of other people here will do the same. I would say, however, that I would never trust the opinions of most people here, except for myself and maybe two or three others, but that's very much me and my personal take.

If you're conscious of not putting it into the public sphere (as it were), feel free to PM me. I can only really comment on aesthetics though (and only that from my perspective) - if you're after recording tips, terminal pharmacy seems to know his shit inside out, and the lately absent Savage Clone knows the fuck out of it too.

I really, really wouldn't use this forum for recording tips though - those two and a handful of others excepted, it's pretty much shit-fi central here.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
you blatant honesty is always specatular monsignor glice...

I do try...

I think a lot of people on this forum would like this, having listened to it. I've sent some fairly in-depth notes to auto-aim, and I'd be surprised if this wasn't right up a lot of people's street on SYG. Even with my peculiar drum prejudices.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.15.2009, 08:47 AM   #7
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I do try...

I think a lot of people on this forum would like this, having listened to it. I've sent some fairly in-depth notes to auto-aim, and I'd be surprised if this wasn't right up a lot of people's street on SYG. Even with my peculiar drum prejudices.

so if this right up the alley of people on syg, then how come only you and and one or two other people can give worthy feedback?

i was going to listen to it but now i'm worried glice will cunt out on me
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Well, liking something and having a worthwhile opinion are two entirely different things. I was only really commenting on my personal taste, which is to say, I wouldn't really refer to anyone here for an opinion on music I'd made. Different strokes and all that, I shouldn't take it to heart dollface.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2009, 09:00 AM   #9
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
okay,but you're using the "different strokes" without giving up on yr hard earned superiority you're saying yr stroke is not merely different but far more valid, please give me a reason that yr opinion is one of the worthwhile ones, preferably a reason that doesn't make me think you drink with yr small finger up, pay $50 for a scone, and claim that famous people from the past were related to you eventhough you don't actually know

how come yr opinion on beenieman is valid?
Old 12.15.2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
okay,but you're using the "different strokes" without giving up on yr hard earned superiority you're saying yr stroke is not merely different but far more valid, please give me a reason that yr opinion is one of the worthwhile ones, preferably a reason that doesn't make me think you drink with yr small finger up, pay $50 for a scone, and claim that famous people from the past were related to you eventhough you don't actually know

First of all - and I don't want you to miss this very important point - fuck off, you useless turd.

Secondly - I've no idea why you've taken umbrage at me being a cunt. It's nothing new or unexpected. Any malice you perceive seems to be: a) I think my opinion is right - most people do. b) terminal pharmacy really does know the fuck out of recording techniques, while most gear threads here show that most people here have a few techniques/ bits of software and stick with that. I don't really see it as a problem that some people genuinely know more about the process and techniques of recording than others, and pointing that out, in a thread asking for feedback on recordings.

Thirdly - When I said that I wouldn't trust the opinion of many people here, I strictly mean that I personally wouldn't trust the opinion of many people here. If I made country music, I'd want the opinions of people who like country music rather than SYG. There really is no more 'superiority' in that statement than that.

Fourthly - If I qualified my opinion as 'correct', and you counter-qualified it as 'incorrect', do we get any further than a flamewar?

Fifthly - I like the idea of being a bourgeois dilettante; sadly, this is a long way from the actuality of my life.

Sixthly - Just in case you didn't the first time, please fuck off you insufferable prick.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Oh, there was an edit - my opinion on Beenie Man isn't valid or invalid. I just really like him.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2009, 09:41 AM   #12
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Thirdly - When I said that I wouldn't trust the opinion of many people here, I strictly mean that I personally wouldn't trust the opinion of many people here. If I made country music, I'd want the opinions of people who like country music rather than SYG. There really is no more 'superiority' in that statement than that.

Yeah, but auto-aim said it sounded like SY, and this is an SY board, so your analogy is flawed. This situation would not be similar to you making a county song and the checking with country fans to see if it was good. It would be more like you going to a country board for feedback on your country song, and someone telling you not to trust the other people there who are also country fans, but to only trust him and a couple of other people. So, yeah, there is a little 'superiorty' there.

But, hey, not my fight, right?!? I'm OUTTIE G, 5000! 5000!!
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Fair point, except I've stated 4 times now that I personally wouldn't (blah blah)

And I'm also happy to admit I'm being a cunt with the statement concerned. That's as perspicuous as I can be without posting you parts of my own body.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2009, 09:48 AM   #14
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
First of all - and I don't want you to miss this very important point - fuck off, you useless turd.

Secondly - I've no idea why you've taken umbrage at me being a cunt. It's nothing new or unexpected. Any malice you perceive seems to be: a) I think my opinion is right - most people do. b) terminal pharmacy really does know the fuck out of recording techniques, while most gear threads here show that most people here have a few techniques/ bits of software and stick with that. I don't really see it as a problem that some people genuinely know more about the process and techniques of recording than others, and pointing that out, in a thread asking for feedback on recordings,please don't be a cunt and bring terminal pharm into this, i am only being a cunt to you

Fourthly - If I qualified my opinion as 'correct', and you counter-qualified it as 'incorrect', do we get any further than a flamewar?

Fifthly - I like the idea of being a bourgeois dilettante; sadly, this is a long way from the actuality of my life.

Sixthly - Just in case you didn't the first time, please fuck off you insufferable prick.

1. okay,good call

2(A) Naturally you think that your opinion would be right but have gone all the way to imply it's one of the only ones of any use to the person looking for feedback, since he chose to post it here i would assume sonic youth fans would be a part of his target audience so i figure that your statement was created simply to claim yr vast superiority over all over living creatures
(B) i haven't commented on that part or your post,because it was good advice that could prove very useful, from the posts i've read from him about recording he clearly knows much more than the majority of people here and you were correct to point to him for help in that department,,please don't be a cunt and bring terminal pharm into this, i am only being a cunt to you

3. The person in the original post said that the recording has a clear sonic youth style and i'm assuming he chose to put it here because he thought multiple people, probably more than 2 or 3 appreciate this type of music. he's not posting country music, he's posting about the sort of music generally discussed here,that's why he wants the opinions of this site,it's like if he made country.... "I'd want the opinions of people who like country music rather than SYG."

4)"Well, liking something and having a worthwhile opinion are two entirely different things." that's what you've done here, i don't want to flame you so don't play the victim, i'm just curious why yr opinion is one of the worthwhile ones, don't bring back the whole "of course i think my opinion is right in my opinion" because the feedback is for the original poster and it has no importance whether the other people offering feedback are valid in your mind. the only reason he should care who you do or don't find credible is if he had set out to make music specifically for you. i'll give in to the fact that some opinions,namely batreleaser's definitely count for less than yours

5)I noticed,hence "claim that famous people from the past were related to you eventhough you don't actually know" i'm not implying you are a bourgeois prick, i'm implying you're trying to act like one, it's like some bastard walking around with his nose up because his mother fucked so many people one of them must have been related to churchill

6) how come your wanting me to fuck off, is more important than my not wanting to fuck off, dear friend
Old 12.15.2009, 09:50 AM   #15
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Fair point, except I've stated 4 times now that I personally wouldn't (blah blah)

And I'm also happy to admit I'm being a cunt with the statement concerned. That's as perspicuous as I can be without posting you parts of my own body.

I know, and I was full aware of that before I even replied. Unfortunately, my falacy detector will not allow me to go on until I point it out. It has caused great division in my family and personal life. Pray for me.
Old 12.15.2009, 09:53 AM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

I am fully qualified in prayer dispensation. I'ma hit your eternal soul up with some Hail Marys all up in this motherfucker.

Quote:
Old 12.15.2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
1. okay,good call

2(A) Naturally you think that your opinion would be right but have gone all the way to imply it's one of the only ones of any use to the person looking for feedback, since he chose to post it here i would assume sonic youth fans would be a part of his target audience so i figure that your statement was created simply to claim yr vast superiority over all over living creatures
(B) i haven't commented on that part or your post,because it was good advice that could prove very useful, from the posts i've read from him about recording he clearly knows much more than the majority of people here and you were correct to point to him for help in that department,,please don't be a cunt and bring terminal pharm into this, i am only being a cunt to you

3. The person in the original post said that the recording has a clear sonic youth style and i'm assuming he chose to put it here because he thought multiple people, probably more than 2 or 3 appreciate this type of music. he's not posting country music, he's posting about the sort of music generally discussed here,that's why he wants the opinions of this site,it's like if he made country.... "I'd want the opinions of people who like country music rather than SYG."

4)"Well, liking something and having a worthwhile opinion are two entirely different things." that's what you've done here, i don't want to flame you so don't play the victim, i'm just curious why yr opinion is one of the worthwhile ones, don't bring back the whole "of course i think my opinion is right in my opinion" because the feedback is for the original poster and it has no importance whether the other people offering feedback are valid in your mind. the only reason he should care who you do or don't find credible is if he had set out to make music specifically for you. i'll give in to the fact that some opinions,namely batreleaser's definitely count for less than yours

5)I noticed,hence "claim that famous people from the past were related to you eventhough you don't actually know" i'm not implying you are a bourgeois prick, i'm implying you're trying to act like one, it's like some bastard walking around with his nose up because his mother fucked so many people one of them must have been related to churchill

6) how come your wanting me to fuck off, is more important than my not wanting to fuck off, dear friend

Look, I don't get what you're getting at, at all. Whatever you're saying is lovely and all, I just don't care. I don't think I can explain myself any better than I have, and I can't really be bothered to. The only thing I would pick up on is that erudition (or in my case prolixity) is not synonymous with the bourgeois elite. If I'm a cunt, it's because I'm a cunt, not for any other reason.

I'm not playing the victim, I just don't care to argue about this.

Let's get back to auto-aim's awesome recordings or prayer dispensation, eh?

Quote:
Old 12.15.2009, 10:04 AM   #18
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Wellcharge, I think those are all really good points, but until Glice tells me they are, I just can't be sure.
Old 12.15.2009, 10:05 AM   #19
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Look, I don't get what you're getting at, at all. Whatever you're saying is lovely and all, I just don't care. I don't think I can explain myself any better than I have, and I can't really be bothered to. The only thing I would pick up on is that erudition (or in my case prolixity) is not synonymous with the bourgeois elite. If I'm a cunt, it's because I'm a cunt, not for any other reason.

I'm not playing the victim, I just don't care to argue about this.

Let's get back to auto-aim's awesome recordings or prayer dispensation, eh?

i think you care and can be bothered considering you wrote a large amount on the subject already when you really didn't have to.

as far as his recordings, you might have missed this but i've basically been asking you for permission to comment on them? if i'm placed in the batreleaser class of not knowing anything i'd rather not waste the original poster's time
Old 12.15.2009, 10:09 AM   #20
Glice
invito al cielo

Oh, fuck my opinion, you don't need my permission. I thought you were after a personal taxonomy of taste, which is a whole different thing. Go ahead, or not, matters not a jot to me. I'm sure it'd benefit auto-aim to have different takes. They are good recordings though.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth