Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sorting Thru The Post -Raw Power Stooges in the 70s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.08.2009, 05:36 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I could never get enough of the stooges, those first three albums are some glorious arc of rock that every band should have picked up on afterwards but didn't. Apparently the band recorded more songs after RP but they're all scattered across comps (year of the iguana, kill city, head on, My girl hates my heroin).

There's so many, which ones should be grabbed or skipped?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Cue swa(y) to return in glorious form.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
You do realise this is 2009?

A few things have happened in the music world since the Stooges and their stodge-rock wank.

Go explore.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2009, 08:39 PM   #4
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Stop worshipping the past is usually my line.

But you do realize that no album in rock & roll has ever eclipsed the greatness of Funhouse, right?
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 07:00 PM   #5
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Apparently the band recorded more songs after RP but they're all scattered across comps (year of the iguana, kill city, head on, My girl hates my heroin).

There's so many, which ones should be grabbed or skipped?

This is actually a very good question (what the fuck is up with the previous replies?). My favorite is Wild Love: The Detroit Rehearsals and More, mainly because it has the drum machine cover of "The Ballad of Hollis Brown", but obviously it doesn't cover everything. Probably a Wild Love + Year of the Iguana combo would get you covered with the essentials, but personally I'd still like to hear from an in-depth connoisseur on this matter (maybe at the Stooges board) to figure out sound quality issues and whathaveyou.

On a related note, "Sony Legacy Recordings will release a deluxe version of Raw Power in April 2010. Raw Power: The Masters Edition will contain David Bowie's original Raw Power mix, a live soundboard recording from Atlanta in October 1973, and liner notes written by authorized Stooges biographer Jeffrey Morgan." Awesome shit or what! Now please, Legacy, Rhino, whoever: give the first two NY Dolls albums "the treatment" ASAP. DO IT GODDAMMIT.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth