Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2017, 10:51 AM   #48821
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah yeah that's right. I'm really glad the label convinced them to change the name of the band. Haha.
Old 05.28.2017, 11:45 AM   #48822
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
oh yeah yeah that's right. I'm really glad the label convinced them to change the name of the band. Haha.

Wait, what was the original? I forget.

Oh yeah, it was "Mookie Blaylock."

Seriously, WTF? What terrible Seattleites! I mean I know Ed wasn't a native, but still! Fuck that noise! What a god awful band name!

That just pisses me off to think about.

"Pearl Jam" is actually a pretty godforsaken terrible name too. Especially when you know it's origin story. Like, it becomes even dumber when you know what it means. But it's better than the alternative.

"Nirvana." Now that was an inspired band name. Fuck the British guys. OUR Nirvana. The name and the font. It's as immediately recognizable as the classic "The Beatles" logo that informed its typeface. Pure, elemental, slightly abstract conceptually, and, as always, a total contradiction to what the music actually sounded like.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2017, 11:46 AM   #48823
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Best early Pearl Jam is "State of Love and Trust" and "Breath" and "Hunger Strike" (yeah, it's TOTD, but it's also basically PJ ft. SG.
Old 05.28.2017, 12:27 PM   #48824
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Certainly better than Fecal Matter or Pen Cap Chew.
Old 05.28.2017, 12:58 PM   #48825
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2017, 12:59 PM   #48826
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
and if there's still time left this sunny sunday evening:

Old 05.28.2017, 01:11 PM   #48827
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Certainly better than Fecal Matter or Pen Cap Chew.

Ehh... not sure about that.
Old 05.28.2017, 04:56 PM   #48828
Severian
invito al cielo

I think this album was just a little but overly jizzed over in 2016. I mean, it was definitely one of the strongest R-A-P albums of the year, but in terms of musical versatility, it's merely versatile for a R-A-P album. Not for a genre that is in flux like hip-hop. In other words, not compared to what what Kanye and ATCQ and Frank Ocean were doing. No sir.

But still, this is a seriously good rap record, and "Lost" is one of the strongest balls out jams in a while. So rowdy.

So yeah I'm listening to this.

I was listening to the new Beatles Sgt. Pepper's deluxe edition. Damn those songs sound great.
Old 05.28.2017, 07:09 PM   #48829
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Old 97's with very special guest CAITLIN ROSE (my girlfriend!) — "Good With God" — March 14, 2017 on CONAN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sTEkkhFDRA

NOW this thread is cooking with gas!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2017, 10:02 AM   #48830
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I don't know why it took so long to get a proper* live album from Nirvana, but Live At Reading is great. Of course everyone knew that for years. It's one of the most bootlegged shows of the band. But the setlist is great - w/ shit from all the albums and even some rarities; the clarity is great and they crammed as much as they could on a single disc. Bootleg collectors may well wish to just stick to the version they've had forever. But I'm super happy w/ the above ground release of this one.

*meaning Unplugged is acoustic, and Muddy Banks is a compilation.
Old 05.30.2017, 12:05 PM   #48831
_tunic_
invito al cielo

https://soundcloud.com/undayrecords/...horseman-twist

Not their latest album, but this is so good! Check Dime very soon for some stunning live sets from my archives!

Old 05.30.2017, 03:39 PM   #48832
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I don't know why it took so long to get a proper* live album from Nirvana, but Live At Reading is great. Of course everyone knew that for years. It's one of the most bootlegged shows of the band. But the setlist is great - w/ shit from all the albums and even some rarities; the clarity is great and they crammed as much as they could on a single disc. Bootleg collectors may well wish to just stick to the version they've had forever. But I'm super happy w/ the above ground release of this one.

*meaning Unplugged is acoustic, and Muddy Banks is a compilation.

Fuck yeah Reading.

I don't think live albums are defined by single show vs. compilation, really. Single shows are often chopped and twisted a bit on record, and I think compilations count as live albums. Like Pearl Jam's Live on Two Legs... that's a compilation, but it's all from the same tour, so... yah. I've never thought much about the distinction, but I guess it's there.

I would totally call Unplugged a proper love album by your definition though. It being mostly acoustic doesn't matter.

I love this show though, and I'm so glad they released an above board version of it.
Old 05.30.2017, 03:44 PM   #48833
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I would totally call Unplugged a proper love album

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 05.30.2017, 03:48 PM   #48834
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Fuck yeah Reading.

I don't think live albums are defined by single show vs. compilation, really. Single shows are often chopped and twisted a bit on record, and I think compilations count as live albums. Like Pearl Jam's Live on Two Legs... that's a compilation, but it's all from the same tour, so... yah. I've never thought much about the distinction, but I guess it's there.

I would totally call Unplugged a proper love album by your definition though. It being mostly acoustic doesn't matter.

I love this show though, and I'm so glad they released an above board version of it.

hey, Unplugged is one of my fav Nirvana albums period. But you make a good point w/ Live On Two Legs. I think I was just more thinking that it took a long time before we started hearing live Nirvana albums that really kind of competed w/ the bootlegs. Don't get me wrong, I love Unplugged and Wishkah... but y'know, growing up I owned MANY live Nirvana boots, and would have been happy to hear some specific full shows as official releases. So this was kind of the start of that anyway.
Old 05.30.2017, 04:18 PM   #48835
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey, Unplugged is one of my fav Nirvana albums period. But you make a good point w/ Live On Two Legs. I think I was just more thinking that it took a long time before we started hearing live Nirvana albums that really kind of competed w/ the bootlegs. Don't get me wrong, I love Unplugged and Wishkah... but y'know, growing up I owned MANY live Nirvana boots, and would have been happy to hear some specific full shows as official releases. So this was kind of the start of that anyway.

I gotcha man. Same here. Only I saw them live ( ) so that quelled my fascination with boots a bit. At least when I remembered it.

See, we have a little thing going on here. You say stuff about an album, and I contradict something superficial about what you're saying. It's like a marriage!
Old 05.30.2017, 05:25 PM   #48836
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Lol it does feel right.
Old 05.30.2017, 05:56 PM   #48837
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

No.... no soup for you.
Old 05.30.2017, 06:03 PM   #48838
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
No.... no soup for you.

You're the one who mistyped, TINY. To be fair, though, the keys "I" and "O" are right next to each other.

Old 05.30.2017, 09:02 PM   #48839
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
You're the one who mistyped, TINY. To be fair, though, the keys "I" and "O" are right next to each other.

Mis-tapped. iPhone.

I'm Tiny now? Lucky for you I am quite small of frame, or them would be fightin' words!
Old 05.30.2017, 09:43 PM   #48840
noisereductions
invito al cielo

One Foot In The Grave was my favorite. And Stereopathetic Soulmanure is arguably a better example of all the sides of Beck at this time. But Mellow Gold was my (and most's?) introduction. And the fact that it was his major label debut is impressive. Cuz this shit is actually pretty weird. He was touted as this anti-folk dude - and tracks like "Pay No Mind" (amazing!), "Whiskeyclone Hotel City 1997", "Fukin With My Head" and "Nightmare Hippy Girl" all back this up. But then he had his weird quasi-rap stuff like "Loser" which was of course a hit, but that riff is still badass. Or "Beercan" which samples the GD Melvins! Then he's got "Truck Drivin Neighbors Downstairs" with its audible tape hiss and slowed vocals. Then a re-recording of "Motherfucker" from Golden Feelings which is like folk metal. But maybe the finest moment here for me is "Steel My Body Home" which I feel like predicts the atmospheric stuff he'd do later on Mutations or something. This album is all over the place and a reminder of a time when major labels just got the hell out of the way and let an artist make their album. It's awesome and I'll always love it big time.
1942234223922432243924402441 2442 244324442445245224922542 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth