Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Classic TV: The Prisoner
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2006, 07:27 PM   #1
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Inspired by helotwentyfifteen's excellent signiature pic.

Any fans?

I love it, great TV show, possibly the greatest. Everything about it is simply wonderful - script, storyline, acting, presience, setting, it's more or less perfect, and 'Fall Out' is the most deranged and addictive denoument of any TV show.

I also love the episode 'HAmmer Into Anvil', as it rather nicely changes the whole tone of the show from No 6 trying to escape to No 6 trying to beat them at their own game.

Discuss the Prisoner here!

And have a decent fan site link, too!

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Tell us your favourite quote, for fun (Fun! hurrah!). Leo Mckern, as a former number 2, gets to speak this classic in 'Fall Out': 'It has been my lot, in the past, to wield a not inconsiderable power. Nay, I have had the ear of statesmen, kings and the princes of many a land. Governments have been swayed, policies defined and revolutions nipped in the bud at a word from me in theright place and at the propitious time.'

Old 03.25.2006, 09:07 PM   #3
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
I like the one where he enters the art competition and uses his scultpure and the painting to make the boat, also the one with the other no 6 and the one where they let him get away for his birthday

be seeing you
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 01:20 AM   #4
hellotwentyfifteen
bad moon rising

Location: sonic toronto (it's way cooler than regular toronto)
hellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nice
look at my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastuionel
Only there i seen chep like that Cell Phone
hellotwentyfifteen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 01:21 AM   #5
hellotwentyfifteen
bad moon rising

hellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nicehellotwentyfifteen is just really nice
oh also

im getting my friend to sew white lining onto my black coat, it will be awesome!

Quote:
Old 03.26.2006, 08:21 AM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Love that show.
I have the complete series DVD box; great stuff!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I love the foresight - cordless phones and surveillance cameras - but like every other sci/fi type show, they failed to predict that computers would become small and stop running on tape!

Old 03.26.2006, 11:36 PM   #8
hellotwentyfifteen
bad moon rising

i love tape!

how much did the box set run you

Quote:
Old 03.26.2006, 11:41 PM   #9
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
It was expensive; around $90.00, but it's 10 DVDs and I get a lot of mileage out of them...
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:05 AM   #10
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I was actually going to make thread about this and I was just looking at random old posts and came across this. Coincidence?

Fucking brilliant program. I've actually been to the place where they filmed it. It was such weird place, the whole village was made by some eccentric rich guy, really cool. I think it's in Wales.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 06:07 AM   #11
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I think No. 6's house was the gift shop. Obviosly the interior wasn't the same because that was a set.
Old 07.09.2006, 06:11 AM   #12
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Portmeirion was built Clough Williams-Ellis. The great thing about visiting it as a Prisoner fan id that although the TV series exaggerated everything, everything seems just as the TV series made it seem.

It's good that No 6's house is a Prisoner gift-shop. Most of the village is a hotel.

Old 07.09.2006, 06:18 AM   #13
Lurker
invito al cielo

Oh yeah, Portmeirion, thats its name. Was I right in saying it's in Wales? It was ages ago when I went and can't really remember. Yeah everything is how it seemed on tv, it's so cool, really exciting. Have you been? I think No. 6's house was the gift shop, not 100% sure though. I really want to go back. It's just so cool that that guy made this whole, really weird village, really cool place.
Old 07.09.2006, 06:30 AM   #14
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

It's on the west Wales coast, close to Porthmadog (there's a vey pleasant steam train running from Porthmadog to Portmeirion, then a ten minute walk to the village). I'm no expert on PAtrick McGoohan's previous TV series, Danger Man, but I'm pretty sure that an episode had been set in Portmeirion, leading to it's selection for The Prisoner. The village is also used in an old Tom Baker Doctor Who story, The Masque of Mandragora, as well as various other one-off tv episodes and pop videos; most notably, XTC used it for 'The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul' (and Supergrass used it for their first single I believe. Wouldn't know about them though!).

I've just had a look; it's got it's own website here: http://www.portmeirion-village.com/en/index.php.

Clough Williams Ellis was a really good sort; full of dreams for nice environments that were constructed but not entirely false or sharing a single characteristic. He wrote many books, notably one (pub. 1928) called England and the Octopus - an early wake-up call to those who destroy our heritage. His vision for Portmeirion was to show that built on his own private peninsula on the coast of Snowdonia where he built to show that the development of a naturally beautiful site need not lead to its defilement and that architectural good manners could be good business. His lifelong concern was with Architecture, Landscape Design, the protection of Rural Wales and Conservation generally.

Old 07.09.2006, 06:35 AM   #15
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
It's on the west Wales coast, close to Porthmadog (there's a vey pleasant steam train running from Porthmadog to Portmeirion, then a ten minute walk to the village). I'm no expert on PAtrick McGoohan's previous TV series, Danger Man, but I'm pretty sure that an episode had been set in Portmeirion, leading to it's selection for The Prisoner. The village is also used in an old Tom Baker Doctor Who story, The Masque of Mandragora, as well as various other one-off tv episodes and pop videos; most notably, XTC used it for 'The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul' (and Supergrass used it for their first single I believe. Wouldn't know about them though!).

I've just had a look; it's got it's own website here: http://www.portmeirion-village.com/en/index.php.

Clough Williams Ellis was a really good sort; full of dreams for nice environments that were constructed but not entirely false or sharing a single characteristic. He wrote many books, notably one (pub. 1928) called England and the Octopus - an early wake-up call to those who destroy our heritage. His vision for Portmeirion was to show that built on his own private peninsula on the coast of Snowdonia where he built to show that the development of a naturally beautiful site need not lead to its defilement and that architectural good manners could be good business. His lifelong concern was with Architecture, Landscape Design, the protection of Rural Wales and Conservation generally.

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten how beautiful it was. Ellis sounds like a cool guy from the site
Old 07.09.2006, 08:16 AM   #16
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I think I've seen an episode, but I can't remember. I want to watch this show so bad.

Battlestar Galactica used "Number Six" as a name for the Cylon character.
Old 07.09.2006, 08:19 AM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i love the prisoner. i first heard of it through the iron maiden song! went to port merion and ran around the beach and whatnot. it was really funny.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 12:25 PM   #18
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Was "The Prisoner" a western? I keep getting confused, thinking that "The Prisoner" was the pre-"Twilight Zone" Rod Serling series, but I just checked and that was "The Loner" so, whatever.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 04:15 PM   #19
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
no no no it was very british. 60's pyschadelic kinda thing about a guy held prisoner on an island and being chased by giant balloons.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2006, 04:20 PM   #20
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah what was the deal with them balloons?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth