Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Dirty versus Sister
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.16.2006, 08:08 PM   #21
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
I like Sister more, but Dirty is a vastly underrated album. I dont understand why many SY fans don't like it. It has a great variety of sounds and noises while still being one of the most accessible SY albums, IMO. It was also the album that really got me into SY so it also has some sentimental album.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 08:19 PM   #22
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I bought Goo in 1990 and was really into it, then didn't listen to SY again until about four years later, when I heard Experimental Jet Set and thought it was great...Dirty was my third album, which I bought that year. I didn't start collecting the 80's stuff until the late 90's probably....I've always just bought a few SY releases here and there...but I have a lot that I've collected over the years.

Dirty reminds me of that year that I really got into SY and of that time in my life, and it's one of those albums that I can listen to again and again and the magic is still there...

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:22 PM   #23
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
Goodness these albums don't even compare!!! Damn right Sister is a better album by far. It supercedes alot of SY's work although, I don't find it better than Washing Mashine.

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:32 PM   #24
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
hahah dirty better?!? what a joke sister kicks it ass.
Old 05.17.2006, 06:09 PM   #25
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Sister doesn't do it for me anymore. A lot of it seems dispensible, whereas when I hear Dirty I think every track shines.

Old 05.17.2006, 06:26 PM   #26
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I actually like Dirty a lot better now than when it originally came out... I have always loved Orange Roll's, Angel's Spit, Creme Brulee, JC, Nic Fit and Teresa's Sound-World... but for me Sister is a far superior album.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 02:23 PM   #27
junkmale
empty page

junkmale has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
are you freakin' serious??!!! dirty better that sister!!???
junkmale is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2006, 05:42 PM   #28
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Dirty just seems to have more depth and atmosphere than Sister, and more feeling. People just don't like it because they think it's cooler to like the pre-Geffen songs.

I don't think it's cooler to like pre-Geffen songs since my fav SY record is Sonic Nurse.

BUT I prefer sister too because it's a real SY achievement, whereas Dirty is more a collection of songs that have nothing to do with each other and there's a huge load of crappy songs(by SY standards off course, the songs before Sugar Kane included are great but after...bleh). However I'd like SY to redo Sister (keep the tuning but clear out all the UNINTENDED noise ) : there's something 'dirty' in their sound that you don't hear that much in DDN or any of their subsequent record. The whole record is poorly produced IMO.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2006, 07:59 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
sister was recorded on vacuum tube equiptment, specifically FOR that "dirty" "grimy" sound you want them to be rid of
Old 06.13.2006, 10:14 PM   #30
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Rather Ripped is probably better than Dirty and Sister.

Old 06.13.2006, 10:31 PM   #31
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
People just don't like it because they think it's cooler to like the pre-Geffen songs.

I don't think that's really true. I like plenty of the Geffen era SY stuff, including Dirty. I just happen to think Sister is a superior album.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth