Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Fall entourage
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.30.2007, 07:00 PM   #41
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Why do you even bother?Bunch of music collecting kids with a thirst for their opinions to be heard.Let's face it:a lot of them never will and that's for a good reason.P.E.R.I.O.D.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 07:00 PM   #42
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
yeah in the documentary the band members refer to this as "Live Mixing" haha, what a load of shit. I saw it when i saw them last year, it was pretty entertaining but it was just him fucking around with the amps.

i think he just does that for entertainment value rather than anything else
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 07:38 PM   #43
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
It's about understanding the mechanics of a certain type of music.Once you get it,my love,you really have learned.The Fall are one of the few bands that can afford themselves to be a science rather than a band.Probably the only of this kind.

Oh, come on now... the only time I saw them live MES looked more like a clown than as a scientist to me... he was drunk, he walked off halfway during the encore and he was backed by a bunch of pub rockers indeed, like others have stated in this thread. It really turned me off of them for quite some time.

I like the classic era Fall as much as the next person, but I sometimes wonder why they're too holy to be subject to criticism for quite a few people on this board. Maybe I'm just not British enough? Or maybe none of the Fall-disciples has seen them live recently? One-liners like "you don't get it", "he's a genius", etc don't really help a non-believer like me in understanding what makes him still an amazing musician these days other than living of the reputation of past achievements.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 07:44 PM   #44
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, M.E.S. lives off past glories even more than thurston moore
Old 01.30.2007, 07:49 PM   #45
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
exactly... Sonic Youth have been my favourite band for the last 15 years or so, but when they release something I dislike so much as Rather Ripped then I have no problem in voicing that it's an utter crap album... it's utter crap Thurston, are you listening?
Old 01.30.2007, 07:53 PM   #46
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Oh, come on now... the only time I saw them live MES looked more like a clown than as a scientist to me... he was drunk, he walked off halfway during the encore and he was backed by a bunch of pub rockers indeed, like others have stated in this thread. It really turned me off of them for quite some time.

I like the classic era Fall as much as the next person, but I sometimes wonder why they're too holy to be subject to criticism for quite a few people on this board. Maybe I'm just not British enough? Or maybe none of the Fall-disciples has seen them live recently? One-liners like "you don't get it", "he's a genius", etc don't really help a non-believer like me in understanding what makes him still an amazing musician these days other than living of the reputation of past achievements.
A few things:
I don't revere Mark E Smith as a God almighty figure and certainly don't consider him a dogmatic figure in many ways but i'll give him the benefit that he incorporates the english language in more interesting settings than most people will ever be able to achieve in three lifetimes.His live outings are often erratic and they don't bother me much because the the last time i've seen him live was quite a while ago and even then i was not expecting much.I'm not British but i can appreciate a living blank canvas when it's been worked on as much as the next person.Call it an artistic cop-out or whatever but that's the way it feels.Attending a bad Fall gig certainly is not excuse for forming a definite opinion on just about anything,let alone The Fall themselves.

Old 01.30.2007, 08:12 PM   #47
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

Well he may not be your God, but when you're an atheist then a genius or a scientist is pretty much as far as it gets.

It wasn't just based on that gig alone... it was the main reason, but that in combination with not exactly being blown away by their latest two efforts lead me to the conclusion that he's mostly living of past achievements... whereas contemporaries like Sonic Youth*, Einstürzende Neubauten or The EX can still give me interesting things both on record and on stage. Anyway, thanks for elaborating.

*excluding their last Geffen album and ATP gig... I hope I won't be saying the same things about them in a couple of years as I did about The Fall.
Old 01.30.2007, 09:06 PM   #48
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Exactly, if The Fall makes someting you dont like its cool to say so. Mr Smith doesent regard his previous work as sacred, thats why the group has been able to remain credible in its output over the years i think.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 09:20 PM   #49
No Star
little trouble girl

No Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to behold
The Fall are one of those bands that will always cause a stirr with fans, we supported them in sheffield once and Mark E was really ignorant, untill he saw my SY tattoo and he spoke to us after that. really sound bloke, genius and shit vocalist! ha!

THE FALL!!

"Whats comes first, the music or the words."
No Star is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 10:25 PM   #50
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Star
The Fall are one of those bands that will always cause a stirr with fans, we supported them in sheffield once and Mark E was really ignorant, untill he saw my SY tattoo and he spoke to us after that. really sound bloke, genius and shit vocalist! ha!

THE FALL!!

this is a bit of a coup, is he a fan of sonic youth?
Old 01.31.2007, 03:45 AM   #51
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
this is a bit of a coup, is he a fan of sonic youth?
i don't think he would admit that in public.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2007, 04:31 AM   #52
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Why do you even bother?Bunch of music collecting kids with a thirst for their opinions to be heard.Let's face it:a lot of them never will and that's for a good reason.P.E.R.I.O.D.

Is this refering to me as well? i was simply stating that it must be a nightmare working with him, due to the fact he is a complete cunt, but then again most genius's are..
What else do you expect on a forum anyway?
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2007, 04:36 AM   #53
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
Is this refering to me as well? i was simply stating that it must be a nightmare working with him, due to the fact he is a complete cunt, but then again most genius's are..
What else do you expect on a forum anyway?
I wasn't refering to anyone in particular.I don't have any big expectations for a music forum such as this but a mild diversion from the same dirge would be much appreciated every now and then.In saying that,i i must go to the toilet now.

Old 01.31.2007, 04:38 AM   #54
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i must go to the toilet now.

same!
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2007, 05:06 AM   #55
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
same!
You must be taking a long poo.I just went for a slash.

Old 01.31.2007, 08:06 AM   #56
michael71
little trouble girl

michael71 ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Star

THE FALL!!

That's funny because MES always claims that he hates Sonic Youth but I think that he secretly likes them. Unless of course he punched you when he saw the tattoo........
michael71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth