Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Yr absolute favorite album of all time?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.26.2008, 08:09 AM   #61
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
never got the dark side of the moon thing at all..
its up there with sgt peppers as the most overrated album ever.......in my opinion!

the floyd had many better albums than that...... in my opinion (i dont want to be shot down by the wicked tounge lashing of cantanky now do i?.......or do i?????????????????)
Old 08.26.2008, 08:09 AM   #62
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
mbv- loveless... because of all the reasons i have stated umpteen times before somewhere in here.....

and closely follwed by slint- spiderland...sorry, its a near perfect album........

Loveless is so yummy.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:11 AM   #63
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
never got the dark side of the moon thing at all..
its up there with sgt peppers as the most overrated album ever.......in my opinion!

the floyd had many better albums than that...... in my opinion (i dont want to be shot down by the wicked tounge lashing of cantanky now do i?.......or do i?????????????????)1111111

I never owned a copy of Dark Side until six months ago. I hated it because every silly stoner I knew in college would sit stoned to the gills with their headphones with this one spinning on the turntable. Bad assocations, in other words.

I now think it's an excellent LP, even though it will probably never become a huge favorite. Overall it's a little emotionless, even though the production is fantastic.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:13 AM   #64
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
regarding loveless, nothing ever sounded like it before and nothing has since, they may have tried but nothing ever will sound like loveless. its one of those records that very rarely comes along.... never comes along now...

there is just too much music out there, when will a record come out again and virtually change the music scene and how she is seen, if you pardon the pun.

we need another bollocks, we need another nevermind, we need another loveless, we need another rock around the clock.. we dont need another coldplay record or another razorlight shitebag or even dare i say it another alt country album..........

as for dark side. i have it here but i havent listened to it in aboput 15 years or so...so i better try it again even though i know it inside out......
Old 08.26.2008, 08:17 AM   #65
gmku
invito al cielo

Good question.

The last album to have such a huge impact was probalby Nevermind.

There have been some minor great things. Major, though... wow, the absence is kind of weird and depressing. I think even the stuff that went largely unnoticed in the 80s (Husker Du, Replacements, early Pixies) was far more influential than anything that's been made in the last 10-12 years.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:22 AM   #66
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

exactly my point.. the closest thing i can think of is battles mirrored. the impact that had over in ireland is unreal. they have played here 7 times in 18 months, all sellout shows all bigger venues and anyone ive givent hat album too regardless of previous musical tastes has raved on about it big style..

noew mirrored is hardly groundbreaking or anything, thats not what im saying, my point is there isnt gonna be another nevermind again because we have become oversaturated with music to the point of exhaustion...

its culturally like going into your nice, well documented record collection and spending 20 minutes in there going "shit, i dont wanna listen to any of this shite again". i am having that experience more and more each time i walk in to put on a cd. its scary...WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08.26.2008, 08:27 AM   #67
gmku
invito al cielo

Yes! I agree completely.

I thought Mirrored might have a bigger impact than it did. But I've thought that about other things too. Godspeed should have had some kind of impact. Fugazi certainly put out some great challenging things.

There's good, catchy, interesting stuff still being made today. But I feel like you that it's all been done before, often better. Yeah, saturation has a lot to do with it. When music is so ubiquitous, there's no mystery left, no intrigue.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:35 AM   #68
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

maybe someday it will happen... maybe something will come out to blow oout all this alt country tripe thats become the new fad in the last 5 years......

maybe we will see a bunch of kids walking around in fuck buttons teeshirts in a few years...........

what is scary is seeing kids in nirvana shirts and then them saying to you "aw youre too old for that, you wouldnt like it!" im only 33 you little shit, grab their head and stick lightning bolt in to their ipomp3 player and get them to deal with that shit........

we need another joe strummer, we need another buddy holly, we dont need another series of x factor!
Old 08.26.2008, 08:37 AM   #69
gmku
invito al cielo

Yeah, lightning bolt. Also, Liars. Deerhoof.

Some of these bands should have had a much bigger impact. Again, gotta chalk it up to oversaturation. Too many other distractions.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:42 AM   #70
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

yes without a doubt liars, the most intresting band to come out in the last few years....

deerhoof last year at the electric picnic had a huge crowd at them, unfortunatly i only caught about 10 minutes as my mates band was playing at a different stage and promises are promises to friends!!!!

im off to the electric picnic fest at the weekend to catch mbv and also grinderman and tonnes of other cool shit.. im real curious to see the crowd at mbv. their first "home" gig since 1992....

speaking of which, i gotta go and sort out my camping shit..i mean find it!!!!!

ha! maybe we are getting old mate!!!! we are but in the right way!!!!
Old 08.26.2008, 08:42 AM   #71
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Pink Floyd grew on me recently.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 08:44 AM   #72
gmku
invito al cielo

Have it removed.
Old 08.26.2008, 08:48 AM   #73
gmku
invito al cielo

You know what's weird about Battles...

Mirrored came out when I was still iving in Iowa City, a great college town with great support for music, good local scene, good record stores blah blah blah. The way that LP sold out of the stores its first week, it was like when Nevermind came out. I went in one day, having never heard of Battles before, and saw Mirrored in the racks, was kind of intrigued by the cover, but not knowing anything about it passed it up. Went home, read a review, couldn't wait to get back the next day to the record store to pick up a copy. They were all gone. Like 20 copies, on vinyl, flew out the door in 24 hours. Went to the other record store, they were down to their last copy.

Then they come to town, put on a great show that packs the bar, its the buzz around town for weeks.

And then nothing.
Old 08.26.2008, 09:41 AM   #74
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses

Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 09:41 AM   #75
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Because it's about as close to what I think the perfect rock album should sound like. A third eye opening solar anus fucking tambourine shaking motherfucker of a record.

i heard this for the first time recently, it's totally brilliant
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 09:44 AM   #76
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
^^^+1 from me too. Have got this on gatefold vinyl, and it totally rules.
Old 08.26.2008, 09:48 AM   #77
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Haven't heard this one yet, although I'd totally wish to...

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 10:10 AM   #78
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
That reminds me, I haven't listened to II's classic "GOD'S PENIS" in a while!!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2008, 11:14 AM   #79
gmku
invito al cielo

Regarding my comment about the Mirrored LP above... I almost wonder if the reason these "breakouts" fizzle is because there's no "image" part of music anymore. With Nevermind, for example, it was suddenly all grunge this and that, grunge fashion, the grunge look, the grunge attitude. It had some rather revolutionary things attached to it, most notably in how people dressed.

People barely even know what an album's cover looks like anymore, with so much downloading going on.

When was the last time you were so taken by how a band looked? Or by a cool cover?
Old 08.26.2008, 11:16 AM   #80
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
^^^Electric Wizard - the first time I saw them live in 1997, it looked like a REALLY pissed-off contingent of the Oaklaknd chapter of the Hell's Angels had just descended onto London, to play their own brand of evil doom awesomeness. (Turns out they were really from a village outside of Bornemouth, but still..).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth