Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands you know you should start listening too but probably never will
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2008, 03:43 AM   #21
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
And I've just decicded to look for some Replikants but I have to put it off because I don't have the cash right now.

But when I do, I will.

Well there's a band with no My Space as of yet. But they're still on Last-FM. Last I heard, Justin and Brandt were both in Olympia again (and they both lived in L.A. briefly for the same time), so we can pray they're secretly making new music. I had the pleasure of playing on the same bill with them and putting on shows with them a few times. One of the best sets ever was at one of the early Oly Experimental Music Fests (I'm thinking the second, but after thirteen, it is a bit of a blur at times!) when they basically fused with IQU - Justin, Brandt, Kento, and Aaron in one serious super group.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 06:11 AM   #22
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
and seriously, fuckin beck? all you had to do was turn on the radio in the mid 1990s and you prolly heards somethin off odelay.

Seriously dude, I was six years old when Odelay was released, what do you want from me!? But even now I don't listen to the radio, its just not my prefered source of new music.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 03:21 PM   #23
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Seriously dude, I was six years old when Odelay was released, what do you want from me!? But even now I don't listen to the radio, its just not my prefered source of new music.

I was 7 and already knew every word to "Loser" and was working on "New Pollution", no excuse for going up in the 90s and not listening to Beck. By now your tastes would have matured and you'd be listening to Stereopathic Soul Manure or One Foot in the Grave.
Old 04.01.2008, 03:35 PM   #24
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I was 7 and already knew every word to "Loser" and was working on "New Pollution", no excuse for going up in the 90s and not listening to Beck. By now your tastes would have matured and you'd be listening to Stereopathic Soul Manure or One Foot in the Grave.

Yeah, I also heard you started listening to Sonic Youth whilst in the womb...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 04.01.2008, 03:36 PM   #25
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, I also heard you started listening to Sonic Youth whilst in the womb...

If only. I was not that cool. I didn't discover them until about 3 or 4 years ago.
Old 04.01.2008, 03:43 PM   #26
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
If only. I was not that cool. I didn't discover them until about 3 or 4 years ago.

Ah, but are SY REALLY 'cool'? Sounds like new thread material...

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 04.01.2008, 03:45 PM   #27
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ah, but are SY REALLY 'cool'? Sounds like new thread material...

While you're at it, you could discuss the overall coolness of being able to listen to tunes in the womb. You could be on the forefront of something big here...
Old 04.01.2008, 04:00 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
There's a few artists of the Tom Waits/ Leonard Cohen/ John Cale type where I look at their discography and go "Oh, I actually can't be fucked". Mostly if I can't be fucked they probably aren't worth it, but I've got a good friend who's big on the above three who has convinced me they're all amazing. But too much, especially when there's a whole world of other things out there that isn't 'important' but is 'good' and is also 'a cuntload cheaper'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 04:04 PM   #29
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Quote:
While you're at it, you could discuss the overall coolness of being able to listen to tunes in the womb. You could be on the forefront of something big here...

Oh yes absolutely. In fact, my own mother once heard that it would increase my future intelligence and musical talent to put a speaker playing Beethoven to her stomach during pregnancy. However, sadly she misheard this, and ended up playing Bathory. Now I eat myself.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 04.01.2008, 04:05 PM   #30
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Polvo

fool.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 04:42 PM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Beck

Arab on Radar

Polvo

... will be on my 'to buy' list forever more I fear.

Go!

steer clear of BECK and get everything Polvo ever put out and yr life will turn out fine and all yr wildest dreams will come true
Old 04.01.2008, 04:44 PM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i don't buy a record unless i hear it first (save for those rare albums i buy exclusively based upon the artwork which usually turn out to be good). i spend a lot of time downloading music because the only people being "cheated" out of money by doing that are the faceless pigfuckers running the record companies. bands don't make jack from record sales.
bands do make some money off of record sales. record sales fund tours and marketing and t shirt production etc.
buying band's records supports the small labels, the small distributors, the local record store nerds.
Old 04.01.2008, 04:49 PM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

there are a MILLION bands and artists and a BILLION records
stop poo-pooing this thread because you think anyone can get any damn record out there at any time. people have BILLS to pay you know.

and FUCK BECK

bands rob instigator has wanted to hear and not had the wherewithall to do so

Richard Hell & The Voidoids - wait, I did get this and it SUCKS ASS. I was better off never hearing it.

Captain Beefheart - I have never felt the urge to go and buy one of his overpriced used albums or a re-issue. I "know" that as a fan of crazy music I should get this, but I ahve never ever heard any. Hope it does not suck as much as the Voidoids do.
Old 04.01.2008, 04:49 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
I was 7 and already knew every word to "Loser" and was working on "New Pollution", no excuse for going up in the 90s and not listening to Beck. .

there is an excuse, GOOD TASTE

fucking beck sucks and is exactly music for 7 year olds.
Old 04.01.2008, 04:58 PM   #35
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
steve threw up is a gret song tho!

Steve had a big commotion
the street fair was an ocean
when he took three tabs of bad acid
and off his melting jaw
all the wonderful things he saw
the pretty hair growin on...his sandwich

well he looked out on the fairground
with the spinning things spinning all around
and he felt the food goin' down
and coming back
and on top of the ferris-wheel
he threw up on the heel
of the beautiful girl who was laughing

well there must have been some pizza
and there must have been some fries
and there must have been some tequila
and there must have been some wine
and there must have been some falafels
and there must have been some beer
and there must have been some bagels
you could see it all so clear

and there must have been some pickles
and there must have been some saurkraut
and there must have been some catfish
when he laid his burden down (?)

pineapples, mangos, wild rice, beans, granola, cheetoes, caramel candy popcorn
ice cream, banana fudge, and some corndogs, and mayonnaise, steak sauce,
ketchup and mustard, garlic, kool-aid, spam and some egg rolls,
sushi, rice cakes, oatmeal, cucumbers, biscuits, beef-jerky,
pop-tarts, tamales, shish-kabob and a side order of...
Old 04.01.2008, 06:25 PM   #36
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Captain Beefheart - I have never felt the urge to go and buy one of his overpriced used albums or a re-issue. I "know" that as a fan of crazy music I should get this, but I ahve never ever heard any. Hope it does not suck as much as the Voidoids do.

I haven't been here long, but you do strike me as someone who would enjoy the fuck out of Beefheart judging from your posts.

You can get a new copy of Trout Mask Replica on Amazon for like...ten bucks. Or you can download it.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2008, 06:30 PM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yeah beefheart's stuff is usually not that expensive. and its pretty damn hard not to at least slightly enjoy his music, its experimental, its groovy, its weird, its creative, its unlike anything else, and if all else fails its downright FUN!

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2008, 09:11 AM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

That's my next "will check" although I said the same thing about the Residents and I fucking can't stand their stupid shit.
Old 04.02.2008, 09:17 AM   #39
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
polvo have only got 2 good songs, i wouldn't worry about them so much
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2008, 11:35 AM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
polvo have only got 2 good songs, i wouldn't worry about them so much

I would describe the above statement as sickeningly optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth