Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SENSATIONAL FIX Blog and Zine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2009, 05:48 PM   #21
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah.
I bought the nickel plated limited edition printed with virgins'blood instead of ink.

kinda.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2009, 06:07 PM   #22
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
support this non profit project:
order SENSATIONAL FIX ZINE #1 now

ZINE #1 could now be ordered by sending an e-mail with your name and address and the number of copies requested (max. 3 per person) to sensationalfix@yahoo.com.

the zine costs (
worldwide package and postage included):
1 copy = 8,50 €
2 copies = 15,00 €
3 copies = 22,00 €

the edition is limited to 500 hand-numbered copies and requests are handled on a 'first come first serve' basis. the order will be reserved upon receiving your e-mail order and sent upon receiving the payment (
exclusively via paypal and in euros).

if you wish to sell the zine through your store, requests for copies could also be sent to this e-mail address.

next to the kunsthalle düsseldorf, the zine is momentarily exclusively available from the van gennep
bookshop in rotterdam.

thankyou Moshe.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2009, 11:41 PM   #23
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Tuesday, 24 March 2009

zine sales

i can't complain about the sales of SENSATIONAL FIX ZINE #1 so far. thank you all for making future zines possible with your purchases (see earlier entry about the philosophy behind the zine series).

i got a taste for it for sure. i'm currently talking to michael morley - of dead c and gate fame, if he needs any introduction - for a follow up on ZINE #1. he wrote a thesis on his work
in relation to silence and painting. a different cup of tea than number 1 of the series, but maybe not that different. the idea is to include a DVD with a videowork by michael in a limited edition.

next to more theory-oriented zines i will continue to edit the good old compilations with great artists from the SONIC YOUTH etc. : SENSATIONAL FIX exhibition. so stay tuned for more sensational publications!
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2009, 03:10 PM   #24
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
« SHELFLIFE #18B: CLUB IN THE SHADOW CARD

SHELFLIFE #19A: SILENCE

The time that Sensational Fix curator, Roland Groenenboom, has spent with the work of Sonic Youth and their friends seems to have been superbly digested. Something that many of the artists involved in the show share widely in common is an involvement in the production of accessible, serial ephemera. Most are still generating print editions, publishing or writing zines, books, broadsides, chapbooks or pamphlets, printing tshirts, making records… Regardless of perceived value as artists, most everyone in the show is still actively making collectible works available to admirers of their creativity via channels beyond the hyper-inflated fantasy-priceland of galleries.
Having completed an exhibition catalog potentially priced beyond the reach of many young exhibition attendees, Roland decided to tap the over-arching communal belief in democratic content distribution and enlist exhibiting artists to contribute new work to a series of cheap, numbered, thematic, xeroxed zines. I contributed the piece below to the first issue, SILENCE. I can’t wait to gather up the entire series.

Old 03.26.2009, 05:45 AM   #25
Moshe
Super Moderator

after SENSATIONAL FIX the exhibition comes THE ETERNAL the album

the youth are back – and very inspired, i must say!

leaving geffen records – basically because the major label was not beneficial nor harmful for the band – to record their first album for indie landmark label matador might have been debit to the freedom with which sonic youth attack the material on ‘the eternal’. there’s a teaser of the record made for newsweek that condenses the 56’34” album in 2'34" of sonic sound, which in itself is a great collage in the spirit of likes such as john cage, but doesn’t give you a real clue about the album’s content. receiving my promo copy yesterday unravelled the mystery of the teaser for me. here’s a first reaction to what my ears fed my brain listening to the album in its entirety.

the first song, ‘sacred trickster’, opens with atonal sonic chord strokes that go over in an up-tempo rocking song with kim chanting as a first line “i want you to levitate me...”. what a start! it’s straightforwardness in just 2’11” is contrasted by the following song, 'anti-orgasm' (6’08”), which already showcases new developments in the band’s sound explored on the album: the focus on the use of vocals and vocal harmonies combined with the bass back up that mark ibold provides. kim and thurston or kim, lee and thurston sing verses and/or choruses together or phrases in answer to each other on much of the album, and the three vocalists are further present with back up vox and harmonies. this may sound scary to hardcore SY fans, but it really adds great richness to the songs and opens up the possibilities first explored in 1987 in ‘cotton crown’.

beautiful dual-guitar sonic soundscapes are poured out over us in songs such as ‘antenna’ (6’13”), ‘malibu gas station’ (5’39”), lee’s ‘walkin blue’ (5’21”), or the 9’43” end song ‘massage the history’. ‘thunderclap for bobby pyn’ is a punky thurston sung 2’39” elegy for darby crash (aka bobby pyn), co-founder of the germs, who committed suicide in 1980. lee’s ‘what we know’ (3’54”) last phrase is: ‘that’s what we know about us’. Well, they know, but for the fans there’s a whole lot to explore and get to know about SY on ‘the eternal’!

it would be my democratic belief that each and everyone of you should be able to listen to this great album right now as well, but unfortunately that is not yet possible. why not post it online? well, it’s also my belief that artists should get paid for their work, so in nowadays download culture i’d buy the official download offer from matador, already available on 28 april instead of 9 june, the release date for the double vinyl or cd.

Posted by sensational fix at 10:23
Old 03.26.2009, 06:58 AM   #26
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Fastest shipping ever. Already arrived, shipped 2 days ago. WOW.
Triple urrah for Roland!
Old 03.26.2009, 09:48 AM   #27
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
Where did you order it?
I've ordered mine from Les presses du reel and I'm still waiting..
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2009, 10:30 AM   #28
nicfit
invito al cielo

I'm talkin' bout the zine, not the book, eh!
Looks like it's quite hard to get the book now, I mean, they are probably in the "re-press" (ha ha) process, methinks..amazon is having problems in delivering it apparently.
Old 03.26.2009, 05:28 PM   #29
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
I sent an email a couple of days ago and they said that the books were already printed, and they are expecting them within the next days..let's see.
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2009, 07:28 PM   #30
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

next to the kunsthalle düsseldorf, the zine is momentarily exclusively available from the van gennep
bookshop in rotterdam.

yeah right.
"thanks", moshe!
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2009, 12:00 AM   #31
Moshe
Super Moderator

some info from the editor of the book:

"as to the continuing speculations about the SY etc. : SF catalogue: the italian, german and french versions are printed and for sale. german a.o. at kunsthalle and KIT in düsseldorf, where the show is on now. italian could be ordered at museion bolzano. the english version is sold out but for the copies that malmö konsthall bought (800, which seems a lot, but it's not!). they only start selling when the show opens there, 29 may. we are talking about a reprint of the english version with könig. would be crazy not to, as it never really was thoroughly distributed in the US, i have the feeling."
Old 03.27.2009, 04:01 AM   #32
nobye-noaloha
bad moon rising

nobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's asses
thanx a lot moshe.
i hope it doesn't mean it is sold out !!!

Quote:
Tuesday, 24 March 2009

zine sales

i can't complain about the sales of SENSATIONAL FIX ZINE #1 so far. thank you all for making future zines possible with your purchases (see earlier entry about the philosophy behind the zine series).

i got a taste for it for sure. i'm currently talking to michael morley - of dead c and gate fame, if he needs any introduction - for a follow up on ZINE #1. he wrote a thesis on his work
in relation to silence and painting. a different cup of tea than number 1 of the series, but maybe not that different. the idea is to include a DVD with a videowork by michael in a limited edition.

next to more theory-oriented zines i will continue to edit the good old compilations with great artists from the SONIC YOUTH etc. : SENSATIONAL FIX exhibition. so stay tuned for more sensational publications!

noise, ambient, hip hop, electronica, folk etc...

http://lemieldanslesoreilles-radiobeton.blogspot.com/
nobye-noaloha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2009, 06:19 AM   #33
Moshe
Super Moderator

Saturday, 28 March 2009

kool things

now that the zine is out and getting good response, i thought it would be good that you also know about other cool stuff and info available on the artists who collaborated on it.

michael morley just opened an exhibition with new work in dunedin. congratulations michael! yesterday he wrote me the following: "It is a crazy weekend here in Port Chalmers, we are hosting an experimental music festival "Lines of Flight", a whole bunch of friends from around NZ all converging on our sleepy little port town to play at a local pub for three days and nights, The Dead C play tonight." wow, wish i were there!

alivia zivich told me that she and nate young are working on new editions, soon available from their website. thurston always offers new stuff on his ecstatic peace site, among others a new t-shirt by dennis tyfus, who, like zeloot, and maya miller has a cool site about his work. check out chris habib's for info on his activities. then there's a site that offers the last copies of editions by cameron jamie, and for more info about john miller, richard kern or tony oursler, and news about their exhibitions visit their websites.

Posted by sensational fix at 08:54

Old 03.29.2009, 10:38 PM   #34
Moshe
Super Moderator

Monday, 30 March 2009

SENSATIONAL FIX ZINE #2 ‘noise’

while continuing work with michael morley on his zine in the series - planned for july 2009, to coincide with his european solo tour as GATE - i just invited a next group of thirteen artists from the SENSATIONAL FIX exhibition to contribute a double page to a second compilation zine titled: SENSATIONAL FIX ZINE #2 ‘noise’.

until they confirm their participation i cannot tell you the names, but while writing this entry, i got the first confirmation in from marco fusinato. thanks, marco!

now that i'm seriously continuing the series i think it's fair that you could subscribe to it. i cannot fix the prices of all zines to the same as for #1, as it depends on the number of pages, colour vs black and white, if it contains a DVD (as planned for morley's) etc. how much it should go for to cover production cost and continue the series. but i could guarantee the lowest possible prices as - again - we're not innit for the money.

thanks for your continuous support. subscribe now to sensationalfix@yahoo.com and be assured to receive your future copies of SENSATIONAL FIX ZINE.

Old 03.30.2009, 12:50 AM   #35
nicfit
invito al cielo

uuuh nice!
Old 03.30.2009, 01:46 AM   #36
Moshe
Super Moderator

first confirmations in from marco fusinato, john olsen, my cat is an alien, and christian marclay for issue #2!
Old 04.01.2009, 01:54 PM   #37
Moshe
Super Moderator

Wednesday, 1 April 2009

Profiel van Roland Groenenboom | Maak je eigen badge aan

Old 04.01.2009, 03:01 PM   #38
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
... michael morley ... july 2009 ... european solo tour as GATE ...
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2009, 04:10 AM   #39
nobye-noaloha
bad moon rising

nobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's asses
just get my copy, nice but...
i think it is a little bit expensive for what it is but anyway... that's a good zine

noise, ambient, hip hop, electronica, folk etc...

http://lemieldanslesoreilles-radiobeton.blogspot.com/
nobye-noaloha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2009, 07:02 AM   #40
Moshe
Super Moderator

Tuesday, 7 April 2009

zine #1 - 125 copies left!

just sent out up till number 375/500 of the SENSATIONAL FIX ZINE #1. copies are still available through sensationalfix@yahoo.com and will be avialable soon from the sonic youth store.

confirmations for zine #2: christian marclay, marco fusinato, david markey, kim gordon, marnie weber, MCIAA, edwin pouncey (aka savage pencil), john olson, sam crack and barbara ess.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth