Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MBV News: Kevin Shields Not Bluffing, Possible Album out this Year !
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.07.2007, 03:36 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
from Pitchdork:
Looks like this Kevin Shields fellow is a man of his word, huh? In the January/February 2007 issue of Magnet magazine, as previously reported, Shields promised that some band he's part of called My Bloody Valentine were "100% going to make another...record unless we die or something."

Today comes word that Shields wasn't just pulling our whammy bars, as the Daily Swarm has revealed bits from a interview with Shields-- set to air on a forthcoming episode of Vice's vbs.tv program "Soft Focus"-- in which the shoegaze godfather and fanclub president* confirms that the new album is being made, and what's more, it's supposed to come out this year.

Speaking to "Soft Focus" host and DC scene mainstay Ian Svenonius, here's Kevin: "We were making a record in the 90s, around when the band broke up in 1995...and I continued with Bilinda [Butcher, guitarist/vocalist]. We kinda made...most of an album...

"[The new album is] going to be this 96/97 half-finished record finished, and then a compilation of stuff we did before that in 1993–94, and a little bit of new stuff.

"I pretty much know what the one that's going to come out this year is going to sound like because it's already pretty much three-quarters done already...it sounds like what we sounded like-- different but not radically different. People will go, 'Yeah, it sounds like My Bloody Valentine.'"

That is, one presumes, after people catch their breath and pick their melted minds up off the floor.

Until the full interview airs on November 12, that's really all we have to go off. So what did we learn today? That My Bloody Valentine are indeed back together in some configuration or another. That they've recorded new material. That they have at least two releases on the way, one of which may very well come out this year. And, last but not least, that Loveless has a follow-up and IT WILL SOON TOUCH THE EARS OF HUMANKIND.

Wooooooooooooo!

Oh yeah, no word yet on all that reunion tour chatter, but consider this-- along with the reactivated MBV website-- a very good sign.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 03:40 PM   #2
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Ha! We posted the same topic in a two-minutes interval (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17592)
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 03:41 PM   #3
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Anyway, it still sounds great, even two minutes later
Old 11.07.2007, 04:03 PM   #4
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
this is just too cool!

ahh the site changed a little! 1st ever update! the image is smaller!
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 04:06 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Welcome to 1992. I've been so excited by MBV's new album that at this point I don't think I have any excitement left. I just hope they don't take shit into too much of an electronic direction, which is where I figured they were heading. Meh. The reactivated MBV website IS a very good sign though.

*listens to Yuzo Koshiro soundtracks..*

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 04:10 PM   #6
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Pessimism is cool.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 04:12 PM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I was about to dismiss this outright, but a new website is usually a sign that the record company is laying the ground for a new release. Hey who knows.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 04:24 PM   #8
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Right. I'm really confiant this time, even if I know Kevin Shields is the kind of man that announces a new album every six months...
Old 11.07.2007, 04:29 PM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Pessimism isn't necassarily cool, but they've been announcing a new album for FIFTEEN years. And we've seen probably a hundred news stories like this. It's the shoegaze Chinese Democracy! So...

I hope it happens, though.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 05:22 PM   #10
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I won't believe it until Buzzo posts it on YSI, and I listen to it over and over until I'm sure if it is real or not.

Sort of like the Meg White Sex tape, except without the masturbation.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2007, 07:31 PM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
... It's the shoegaze Chinese Democracy!...

i just posted on the other thread that it was the indie chinese democracy.

has there been a lineup confirmed?

by the way, kevin has also said he has been remixing and remastering the creation singles and eps for re-release so the site reactivation could be for promoting these reissues and not the new album.

in my opinion, the album is probably going to suck if it does really happen...probably not that much now that i remember kevin's songs for lost in translation.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth