Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth should do something with Reed
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2010, 12:57 PM   #21
mrb
little trouble girl

mrb has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
would rather see them work with cale than reed!
mrb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2010, 02:46 PM   #22
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucklechimp
Um, this band has no association with Lou Reed or the VU. Where would you ever get the idea that Lou Reed should perform with SY? That's like asking Weird Al Yankovic to perform with The Pixies.

You might as well bury your face into the wiry pubic underbush of a herpetic forum troll, because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

i knew you were joking cause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL32grJl-WI
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2010, 06:53 PM   #23
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb
would rather see them work with cale than reed!

This.

but, more than anything....I've just really been wanting to here an all-acoustic SY album for some time now.
Old 07.17.2010, 11:50 PM   #24
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
youst a question : what did john cale for the sound of the velvet underground. i guess some guitar tunings , but isnt it right that lou wrote all the songs ?i mean really all the songs ?and the singing...
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 06:10 AM   #25
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight69
youst a question : what did john cale for the sound of the velvet underground. i guess some guitar tunings , but isnt it right that lou wrote all the songs ?i mean really all the songs ?and the singing...

I still can't get over the fact one of the members of the VU is Welsh. I wonder if John Cale is a friend of Tom Jones or Shirley Bassey?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 06:51 AM   #26
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight69
If you need to ask this question maybe you should listen to the first two records and a series of bootlegs more. Perhaps visit their forum ( www.thevelvetforum.tk ), everyone is pretty friendly and helpful on there. I agree that this notion that John Cale was the only experimental force in VU is grossly exagerated. A song like European Son was Reed's attempt at doing Ornette Coleman in a rock way. A failure by his own admission, but still. It's also been documented many times before that a number of those songs have been credited to Lou Reed but were in fact written by more than one member. And certainly if you have heard some of them in their stripped down versions you can hear for yourself that they sound very different from the official versions. Venus In Furs was an acoustic number initially.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 02:07 PM   #27
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
This.

but, more than anything....I've just really been wanting to here an all-acoustic SY album for some time now.

can't see it, doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 07.18.2010, 09:02 PM   #28
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i dunno. i don't think you can split the velvets easily like that. both of 'em were the driving force(s.) it's not like reed was the strictly rock 'n' roll one and cale the ~avant garde~ one.
cale came from a more avant, classical (etc) background... but reed certainly wasn't in the dark about, y'know, the feedback/repetition/volume aspects cale often gets acredited with in early VU.

reed did their weird tuning, i think. ostrich tuning? it came about when he worked for this brill-building type songwriting company...
fucked if i know if he was the first person to ever tune all his guitar strings to the same note though. eh.

sterling + moe were crucial to their "sound" (whatever you'd like to call it) as well. they get downplayed in VU discussion a lot i reckon... aaaand people play up nico's tenure in the band a bit much...

wank wank

/incoherent rambling
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 09:07 PM   #29
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
ps. all- or mostly-acoustic SY album would be interesting... seems like something they would have done around/after murray street though. didn't t, l, + j do some acoustic gigs during that time?
Old 07.18.2010, 09:09 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
He'd just quote the Raven over top of SY's brilliant skronk.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 09:46 PM   #31
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder if John Cale is a friend of Tom Jones or Shirley Bassey?

Yeah, they all go for pints at the Welsh stereotypes theme park. Dylan Thomas is there too.
Old 07.18.2010, 10:49 PM   #32
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

All Welsh people know each other... don't they?
Old 07.18.2010, 11:51 PM   #33
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
hmm i have heard that a few times before that reed was more the clean poppy songwriter and cale upgradet their songs with noisy arrangments.but.....i donīt think this is really true.after all i think lou reed was pretty much the velvet underground.the driving force even the "noisy stuff" youst think about "metall machine music" right now.sonic youth is different.there you have 3 great songwriters.even if thurston might be the creative head.
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2010, 05:47 AM   #34
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
I wonder if John Cale is a friend of Tom Jones or Shirley Bassey?

Yeah, they all go for pints at the Welsh stereotypes theme park. Dylan Thomas is there too.

I'm sure Catherine Zeta-Jones joins them for a pint on occasion.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2010, 04:22 AM   #35
mrb
little trouble girl

mrb has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I still can't get over the fact one of the members of the VU is Welsh. I wonder if John Cale is a friend of Tom Jones or Shirley Bassey?

Interestingly enough tom jones did record at a studio that cale co owns in swansea.
mrb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2010, 06:44 AM   #36
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Didn't he do something with the manic street preachers singer?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth