Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How cool, calm, and collected are you?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.31.2008, 05:05 PM   #21
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Ha ha. Somehow hearing somebody say "chill the fuck out" wouldn't sound all that calming to me. The "fuck" in that context is always a stress indicator to me. But if it works.
Old 01.31.2008, 05:14 PM   #22
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
It all depends on who I'm talking to. If it's my dad, it's usually something like, "Dad! Calm down.....seriously. Jesus."
Old 01.31.2008, 05:16 PM   #23
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I'm trying to develop a better sense of humor about the bad things, too. But it's tough.
Old 01.31.2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
In a really bad situation I am very calm and collected and I concentrate at doing whatever I can to help or do something productive. The worst situations I've been would haveto be during the end of the war in Croatia, just like the actual possibility of being killed during an attack. Other situations would be when my sister was sick in a life-threatening way and needed to be taken care of.

But I think I stress too much about small things, just everyday things like work etc. Sometimes I think I stress cause there are too many variables and stuff. I also stress about my safety but that's cause someone tried to attack me once so that is actually based on something.
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 05:41 PM   #25
gmku
invito al cielo

Wow. Yeah, war's probably about the worst situation there could be to be in.
Old 01.31.2008, 05:57 PM   #26
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah war was incredibly frightening, I still remember one particular night having this constant weird cold and trembling feeling as I heard bombing from all around and my apartment building shaking, and listening to the radio to hear what was happening and they had these spooky sounding nationalistic songs on. I remember that at one point I felt like the walls were going to fall in around me, it was the only point that I've ever actually said to myself "OK, I might actually die tonight"
Old 01.31.2008, 06:04 PM   #27
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I'll pretend to be calm and then all of a sudden...

haha me too! with certain things I'm a bit too laid back, especially losing money, I can't cope with the stress of having to argue and chase it and tend to give up easily, which is a bad way to be.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 06:09 PM   #28
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina
Yeah war was incredibly frightening, I still remember one particular night having this constant weird cold and trembling feeling as I heard bombing from all around and my apartment building shaking, and listening to the radio to hear what was happening and they had these spooky sounding nationalistic songs on. I remember that at one point I felt like the walls were going to fall in around me, it was the only point that I've ever actually said to myself "OK, I might actually die tonight"

that's terrible, I can't imagine how frightening that would be.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 06:27 PM   #29
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
In the face of adversity and stress. Imagine or remember your worst situation and how you would or did deal with it. How cool are you? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being coolest. If you are cool, what are your strategies or thoughts for keeping cool.

I'd like to think I am very cool, maybe an 8. But I only think this until something happens beyond my control and I feel helpless, and then I find myself losing it. Seriously. Becoming plain freaked-out sometimes.

Though I have to say I've had seriously challenging moments where I've also been very cool.

Ultimately I'd like to be more consistent about this, I guess. Consistently cool. Sounds like a reasonable goal, no?

Anyway, thoughts, bullshit?

It depends. I'm generally a calm/cool person, as in being able to handle situations and act rational. But then there would be certain things that have the potential to distroy me, as we all do, no matter how calm and cool we are, I guess.
Old 01.31.2008, 06:32 PM   #30
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
It's weird because I'm a quiet person generally but I have a very bad temper, never towards people though, unless they push me.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 06:45 PM   #31
Kina
children of satan

[/html]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_mind
that's terrible, I can't imagine how frightening that would be.

yeah it's pretty bad, and it's something that almost all people living in Croatia in the 90s would have experienced, unless they escaped to another country right at the beginning of the war and didnt come back for years. Something that did surprise me was how mature and intelligent the young people that lived through this war were, one of the examples is this great band from my hometown who actually played during the war in small basement gigs (I went to them myself) and are still going strong, they have actually become one of the most respected punk bands in Croatia, here's a video of theirs that I found for a song called River of Bodies, it's not their best song but I thought the subject matter was appropriate for this topic, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfBMKnsgV2w
Old 01.31.2008, 06:50 PM   #32
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
these knobs go to 11.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 08:05 PM   #33
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
ridiculously unpredictable. I can be a 3 or a 9. : / And not even I know what it'll be until I'm in the midst of it. When its other people I'm a lot better and usually the calmest. When its me I'm a bucket of tears.
Old 01.31.2008, 08:06 PM   #34
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
but then... I'm more likely to over react when its other people.. and under react when its me. Ie I've just been injured "Im fine really its fine Im okay" or someome else has "call the hospital!" If that makes sense? My fight or flight is fucked up.
Old 01.31.2008, 09:38 PM   #35
gmku
invito al cielo

I aim for monk-like calm. I would be a happy man, then.
Old 01.31.2008, 09:44 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
In the face of adversity and stress. Imagine or remember your worst situation and how you would or did deal with it. How cool are you? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being coolest. If you are cool, what are your strategies or thoughts for keeping cool.

I'd like to think I am very cool, maybe an 8. But I only think this until something happens beyond my control and I feel helpless, and then I find myself losing it. Seriously. Becoming plain freaked-out sometimes.

Though I have to say I've had seriously challenging moments where I've also been very cool.

Ultimately I'd like to be more consistent about this, I guess. Consistently cool. Sounds like a reasonable goal, no?

Anyway, thoughts, bullshit?

i'm not "cool" at all. my fight or flight response is triggered very quickly. i'm wired that way.

in serious emergencies i'm a fucking champ though. i'm like the guy who runs into the burning building. takes lots of fucking adrenaline but i've done shit like that. when it's over i curse like a motherfucker and then go to sleep.

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 09:46 PM   #37
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina
In a really bad situation I am very calm and collected and I concentrate at doing whatever I can to help or do something productive. The worst situations I've been would haveto be during the end of the war in Croatia, just like the actual possibility of being killed during an attack. Other situations would be when my sister was sick in a life-threatening way and needed to be taken care of.

But I think I stress too much about small things, just everyday things like work etc. Sometimes I think I stress cause there are too many variables and stuff. I also stress about my safety but that's cause someone tried to attack me once so that is actually based on something.

the reason you stress so much--you might have PTSD.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 09:55 PM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i'm pretty pationate in what i believe but i'm not intolerant (hard to believe outside the intrawebz, huh?); but i really have this "who gives a shit?" voice when i start getting worked up over nothing.

in times of like crisis, i take control, keep calm and shit, but if someone gives me shit while a crisis, i go berzerk.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 09:57 PM   #39
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
in Kina's boat here

after a recent death and a potential house fire years ago find myself very capable in real life situations when all other things falls to the side and you realize what really matters

then the small things come up and I turn all Edina Monsoon and worry about if I'm wearing this season, and in reflection realize how life is in real perspective
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 09:58 PM   #40
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i don't really get angry that often, honestly. i have a weird ability to just say "fuck it" to anything and move on.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth