Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Breaking up Albums
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2007, 10:43 AM   #41
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Top Five break-up albums

by Chris Thompson
What makes a good break-up album? Is it softly sentimental, just distracting enough to take your mind off what's going on, while reminding you to be sad? Is it angry and vengeful, spitting rage all over the place? Or is it any record which helps get you through a tough time? It's probably all three, depending on who you are (and who you're breaking up with). I'm sure you've got your own, here are mine...
Jeff Buckley — Grace

Being a great break-up album was probably not exactly what Buckley had in mind when he wrote a lot of Grace, but there is no doubt a lot of the songs resonate most truly when you've had your heart broken. Last Goodbye, Buckley's spine-tingling version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and the brilliant and beautiful Lover, You Should've Come Over won't make you feel any better (in fact, you'll probably end up a blotchy, tearful mess on the couch), but they will let you know that someone else knows what you're going through and sometimes that's enough.
Ben Folds Five — Whatever and Ever Amen

Equal parts raucous and jaunty enough for a pick me up (Battle of Who Could Care Less, Steven's Last Night in Town) and sombre and insightful enough to know why you put it on in the first place (Smoke, Brick), Whatever and Ever Amen would be a great break-up album even if it didn't feature the best break-up song of all time. But it has that too, in Song For the Dumped. When Folds sings “I wish I hadn't bought you dinner right before you dumped me on your front porch“, you know everything is going to be fine.
Bob Dylan — Blood on the Tracks

What better an album to listen to during or after a break-up than one that was written during or after a break-up? Blood on the Tracks, largely inspired by Dylan's disintegrating marriage to Sara Lownds, is one of his finest works. Bookended by two of the great Dylan songs, Tangled up in Blue and Buckets of Rain, Blood on the Tracks runs the full gamut of break-up emotions. From the lament of in You're A Big Girl Now, to the anger of Idiot Wind to the sense of loss and longing of If You See Her Say Hello, Blood on the Tracks is an insight into what it means to lose somebody you love.
Elliott Smith — XO

If you're depressed I suppose it can't hurt to hear from someone who is at least a billion times more depressed than you. Enter Elliott Smith. The finest thing about all of Smith's work is the honesty with which he displays his thoughts and feelings. When he sings “I wish I'd never seen your face” in Waltz #1, you really believe it. And then when he sings “I never meant to hurt you” in Pitseleh, you really believe that, too. It is an incredible gift, and one that comes in handy when you're looking to believe in someone. Very sadly, Smith is no longer with us and XO is a reminder that maybe it is possible to care too much.
Reindeer Section — Son of Evil Reindeer

The second LP from Scottish supergroup The Reindeer Section is, at various times, one of the saddest and most uplifting albums ever produced. The sadness probably wins out in the end, but only because the albums finest moments are its most mournful. Much of the familiar break-up material can be found here; guilt trips (“I can't call you a friend, 'cause when you left me here you left me here to die” from Your Sweet Voice); despair (“I used to hope the phone would ring, now I'm glad it doesn't” from Strike Me Down) and even uneasy politeness (“If you'd like I'll take your number from my phone’ from Where I Fall). However, it is all presented in such a way that it's impossible not to like, and difficult not to sing along.
Old 05.10.2007, 10:44 AM   #42
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
or try in an emergency, you can shit on a puerto rican whore by harry pussy either......
Old 05.10.2007, 10:53 AM   #43
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
Ben Folds Five — Whatever and Ever Amen

Equal parts raucous and jaunty enough for a pick me up (Battle of Who Could Care Less, Steven's Last Night in Town) and sombre and insightful enough to know why you put it on in the first place (Smoke, Brick), Whatever and Ever Amen would be a great break-up album even if it didn't feature the best break-up song of all time. But it has that too, in Song For the Dumped. When Folds sings “I wish I hadn't bought you dinner right before you dumped me on your front porch“, you know everything is going to be fine...

he's got to be shitting us.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 11:00 AM   #44
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
"Here, My Dear" by Marvin Gaye.
Old 05.10.2007, 02:25 PM   #45
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
The Polyphonic Spree put smiles onto many a faces. But not mine

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 09:24 PM   #46
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
The Polyphonic Spree put smiles onto many a faces. But not mine

Because they suck?
haha

Well, they don't suck, they jkust have no balls.

Oh, please allow me to retract that.

They don't suck, and they do have some sort of balls, barely detectable, but balls, nontheless, and they are okay if you like new age faux-indie elevator music.

Wait...

let me backtrack

yeah, they're not all that bad (the poly
phoni C

spree)

but hey...sue me

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 10:50 PM   #47
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
not an album, but here's a song for GrungeMonkey
R.E.M.
All the Right Friends

R.E.M. did this song at some early shows.
The download
http://www.sendspace.com/file/65suilis for a studio outtake version from Mitch Easter's Drive-In Studios in Winston-Salem, NC 1984...it's a bit rare.

I know you say
Maybe some day
I need never be alone
I know I say
It's the right way
But you'll never be the one

I've been so alone now
For a long long, long time
I don't wanna hang out now
With the folks that just stopped by

While you party
You've been looking