Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page leesongs: dealers choice
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.15.2012, 04:23 AM   #61
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee is Free
I can speak briefly to this, having asked you all to participate in this little endeavor: I myself have many mixed feelings. On the one hand it seems the wave of the future, even if still in the growing pains stages. A massive library--great reference tool--of music. People tell me it spells the end of 'music ownership' as we know it---you know, record collections. That all that stuff will exist in the digital realm. Coming from an age when record collecting and collections was a noble endeavor, it rubs me a little bit. ebooks, same thing. I read 'em, would rather carry ebooks on tour than huge tomes (Keith Richards, I love ya but I'm thinking of you...), but I STILL WANT THE OBJECT for any that I love and value, and by same token still go out and buy hard-copy music LPs of stuff I love and want to keep close. At their best, in the heyday of albums, they are cheap, affordable objets d'art as well as containers for the music inside. Artifacts. Beautiful things to hold.

There's also the fact that one great thing about a record album (CD, etc) is all the information you get--credits/artwork/mysterious liner notes--that are all lost--thrown out--on Spotify (and iTunes etc etc). I love that part of the music--digging into the cryptic mentions and information included with an album, pouring over beautiful photos or strange drawings on the jackets. I don't really understand why these music services don't make all that stuff available---or maybe they do and I just don't know how to access it? We took great pleasure, when working on my album, in designing the art--especially the LP art/gatefold collage/liner notes etc. I'd be sorry to see all that stuff become a thing of the past...

On the other hand, if you read the music press, and want to find out what's happening (and don't want to fully rip off artists and illegally d/l stuff), but don't want to spend tons of $ on some records you might just listen to once, it's a well-spent $5/month.

Artists payments from these services are a major point of contention. I sort of assume these issues will be worked out as this sort of situation becomes normalized and established. This is all in the very early stages---after, what?, 100+ years of "owning recorded music", we've been downloading via such services for a mere blip of time... Growing pains...

Conflicted? Sure. Kicking and screaming into the digital age? Not really...

L
I agree fully. To me also album covers (and also other stuff that was specially in many vinyls in the sixties and seventies) are very important. But in the other hand the idea of non-material music in this very material world is great!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2012, 05:02 PM   #62
Alan ciccone
bad moon rising

Alan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's asses
1. Saucer-like
2. Wish Fulfillment
3. Skip tracer
4. Rain King
5. What we know
6. Eric's trip
7. In the kingdom #19
8. Hey Joni
9. Pipeline/ kill time
10. Lee #2
Alan ciccone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2012, 02:44 PM   #63
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
check out http://blog.mutewatch.com/2012/03/13...spotify-house/ house in austin.
Old 03.16.2012, 10:00 PM   #64
dressedindreams
bad moon rising

dressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant future
1. nyc ghosts and flowers
2. karen koltrane
3. skip tracer
4. karenology
5. hoarfrost
6. walkin blue
7. mote
8. hey joni
9. pipeline
10. lee #2
dressedindreams is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2012, 11:36 PM   #65
Pink Noise
empty page

Pink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's asses
01. RAIN KING
02. HEY JONI
03. KAREN REVISITED
04. SKIP TRACER
05. WISH FULFILLMENT

06. NYC GHOSTS & FLOWERS
07. MOTE
08. HOARFROST
09. GENETIC
10. WALKING BLUE

that's my top. and if yr reading this, come play some noise + new stuff down here Buenos Aires.

xx
Pink Noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2012, 08:00 AM   #66
Swan Jovi
empty page

Swan Jovi has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
A top 15 would have been easier, but here goes...

1. Hoarfrost
2. Skip Tacer
3. Genetic
4. Eric's Trip
5. My New House
6. Saucer-like
7. Wish Fulfillment
8. Hey Joni
9. Karen Revisited
10. Mote

Honorable mentions include Rain King, In the Kingdom 19, Pipeline, Karen Koltrane, & Paper Cup Exit.
Swan Jovi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2012, 10:16 AM   #67
Gonza
empty page

Gonza has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I'll be leaving the new album songs out of my list, just cause they're 'too new' to me. I mean, I know I loved Wish Fulfillment 18 years ago when I first heard it and I loved it all the way 'till now, that's what a great song means to me. So here goes my top ten list, no particular order:

Eric's trip
I dreamed I dream
Karen revisited
Mote
Paper cup exit
Rats
Saucer-like
Skip tracer
Walkin' blue
Wish fulfillment
Gonza is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2012, 11:09 AM   #68
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonza
I'll be leaving the new album songs out of my list, just cause they're 'too new' to me.

Good thing to point out, no songs from the new album in my list either, simply because I don't have it yet and I didn't listen to the stream....I bet one or two could make it into my top 10, despite the love for the "older" ones I got to know in years of listenings...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2012, 01:42 PM   #69
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Pipeline/Kill Time
Rain King
Karen Koltrane
Mote
Genetic
Skip Tracer
Hoarfrost
Karen Revisited aka Karenology
Paper Cup Exit
What We Know
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2012, 11:52 PM   #70
Lee is Free
Administrator

Lee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's assesLee is Free kicks all y'all's asses
Hey all--I think Matador is getting ready to tally up the results of this informal poll, and I just wanted to give a hearty thanks to you all who participated. Much appreciated... As far as I know, Matador is launching some kind of Spotify app on Thursday, and this list will be launched around the same time. Here's what I think is the 'final' list--let the arguements begin!:

LR Spotify List (in descending order):

1. Mote
2. Skip Tracer
3. NYC Ghosts & Flowers
4. Genetic
5. Hoarfrost
6. Wish Fulfillment
7. Pipeline / Kill Time
8. Eric's Trip
9. Hey Joni
10. Rain King
Lee is Free is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 02:12 AM   #71
Pink Noise
empty page

Pink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's assesPink Noise kicks all y'all's asses
Nice to see Genetic ranking 4th!
Pink Noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 04:16 AM   #72
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Noise
Nice to see Genetic ranking 4th!
Indeed - that is a fine fine fine list, proof that everyone on this board has impeccable taste.

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 04:27 AM   #73
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
Indeed - that is a fine fine fine list, proof that everyone on this board has impeccable taste.

When picking Lee songs I don't think there would have been a bad list at all haha this board could have no taste at all & the list would have still been great.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 05:06 AM   #74
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Fair point, although I wouldn't take a list without Hoarfrost seriously.

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 12:04 PM   #75
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ebooks, same thing. I read 'em, would rather carry ebooks on tour than huge tomes (Keith Richards, I love ya but I'm thinking of you...), but I STILL WANT THE OBJECT for any that I love and value, and by same token still go out and buy hard-copy music LPs of stuff I love and want to keep close. At their best, in the heyday of albums, they are cheap, affordable objets d'art as well as containers for the music inside. Artifacts. Beautiful things to hold.

I've never really managed to read an e-book. My eyes hurts after staring at a screen for too long and I want to do other stuff at the computer if I'm on it, it's hard to focus on just one thing (but that's just me I guess).
Physical books are the best, same with records.
But they work great digitally from time to time, I can't deny that!
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 12:56 PM   #76
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey all--I think Matador is getting ready to tally up the results of this informal poll, and I just wanted to give a hearty thanks to you all who participated. Much appreciated... As far as I know, Matador is launching some kind of Spotify app on Thursday, and this list will be launched around the same time. Here's what I think is the 'final' list--let the arguements begin!:

LR Spotify List (in descending order):

1. Mote
2. Skip Tracer
3. NYC Ghosts & Flowers
4. Genetic
5. Hoarfrost
6. Wish Fulfillment
7. Pipeline / Kill Time
8. Eric's Trip
9. Hey Joni
10. Rain King

Yeh, yer missing Karen Koltrane......you can switch it for Wish Fulfillment....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 02:57 PM   #77
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
VERY happy pipeline/kill time made it, very unhappy Karen Koltrane did not.
It's the song I "use" to expose people to sy music for the first time.
But yeah, hard to argue anyway, with such great source material it's almost impossible to go wrong. Haha. ( I laugh but I'm serious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle
I've never really managed to read an e-book. My eyes hurts after staring at a screen for too long and I want to do other stuff at the computer if I'm on it, it's hard to focus on just one thing (but that's just me I guess).
Physical books are the best, same with records.
But they work great digitally from time to time, I can't deny that!

ebook readers are not like normal monitors/screen, the good ones are waaaay more eyes-friendly.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 05:21 PM   #78
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
To be honest, I think wish fulfillment is my least liked lee song..
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2012, 07:51 PM   #79
logicalharm
little trouble girl

logicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asses
Neither Karen on there?
logicalharm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2012, 06:55 PM   #80
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
The app is released!
http://www.matadorrecords.com/matabl.../three-wrongs/

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth